• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Volta 20 series coming Q3 2017

Soldato
"Early 2018" could mean January or February. If that's the case the cards will be out long before H2 2018.

This^

The question is are Micron erring on the side of caution regarding the announcement. Time will tell......

My vote is Q1 2018.

I think that if micron was confident in getting GDDR6 out by Q1 2018. They would have said Q1 2018 rather than early 2018. You could argue they are being vague as to not reveal to much information to competition, but i'm not sure how that would help them.

Associate
I think that if micron was confident in getting GDDR6 out by Q1 2018. They would have said Q1 2018 rather than early 2018. You could argue they are being vague as to not reveal to much information to competition, but i'm not sure how that would help them.
Sorry, I was meaning Volta in Q1 2018.

The blog you linked talks about the partnership in glowing terms so I'd suspect they'll be making every effort to meet Nvidia's deadline.
It's just we don't know exactly what that is :)

Associate
Here's the guys blog regarding GDDR5X from Feb. 09 2016 - equally vague timescales :p

There have been a variety of rumors in the industry about GDDR5X availability timeframes, so I’d like to clear that up from the beginning: Micron’s GDDR5X program is in full swing and first components have already completed manufacturing. We plan to hit mass production this summer.

Micron is currently ramping GDDR5X to mass production, and will be announcing sample dates later this spring. We plan to be in full volume production this summer.

So they easliy hit their target with the 1080 being released on the 27th May :D

https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2016/february/gddr5x-has-arrived

Soldato
Unfortunately past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Just look at Ryzen. :p
While vague summer starts from June so it was not far off the mark. Also "summer" is far less vague than "early" imo

Associate
Unfortunately past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Just look at Ryzen. :p
While vague summer starts from June so it was not far off the mark. Also "summer" is far less vague than "early" imo
I'd agree 100 percent if it was AMD but Nvidia don't seem to have any problems getting new graphics cards out the door :p

Caporegime
GDRR6 is very similar to GDRR5x, and the speed overlap a lot anyway so it doesn't really make a big difference. I'm still thinking a 1080 sucessor Q4 2017 using 12-14Gbps GDDR5X, the Titan Volta will use higher speed 14-15Gbps GDRR6 around Q2 2018 on 384bit interface.

Last edited:
Soldato
GDRR6 is very similar to GDRR5x, and the speed overlap a lot anyway so it doesn't really make a big difference. I'm still thinking a 1080 sucessor Q4 2017 using 12-14Gbps GDDR5X, the Titan Volta will use higher speed 14-15Gbps GDRR6 around Q2 2018 on 384bit interface.

GDDR6 appears to break each package into 2 separate memory channels, that should reduce overall memory latency with GDDR6. The bandwidth per package is likely to be the aggregate bandwidth of the two channels, with each channel running at 5-10Gbps etc.

Back
Top Bottom