• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA: We’ve Had Sharpening in NVIDIA FreeStyle for Quite Some Time

Permabanned
You aren't going to get below ~9ms input lag chain anyhow even with a crazy low latency monitor.

Yeah this is off topic i know but i had 12ms total roughly there is nothing in this and 9ms. The 240hz Gsync works out at two 4ms frames at 8ms then you add on the pc lag 1ms and mouse lag 1ms and keyboard lag 1ms and then the monitors 1ms G2G.

Though my mouse is 2000hz 0.5ms so when i get the Gigabyte 0.5ms monitor it would be 11ms.

Man of Honour
Yeah this is off topic i know but i had 12ms total roughly there is nothing in this and 9ms. The 240hz Gsync works out at two 4ms frames at 8ms then you add on the pc lag 1ms and mouse lag 1ms and keyboard lag 1ms and then the monitors 1ms G2G.

Though my mouse is 2000hz 0.5ms so when i get the Gigabyte 0.5ms monitor it would be 11ms.

There are various people who've done testing with a virtual "no latency" monitor and without a re-write of the way Windows works and some changes to the way most games work in terms of polling input and processing frames, etc. you rarely can get below approx. 9ms best case. Like with framerate though it isn't the be all and end all of the story - there are various other things in play like the consistency of time between updates over a longer time period and how much you are in lock step with other parts of the system, etc. so while you might not notice on paper certain changes due to how small they are in practise the felt impact can be larger.

Soldato
It’s almost like there is a way to play competitive sports with no latency, oh right there is.

I wouldn’t worry about 0.5ms in your monitor

The biggest problem is your brain - even the average esports player will still have nearly 100ms latency between brain and muscle reaction and normal people it can be up to 400ms

V F

V F

Soldato
It’s almost like there is a way to play competitive sports with no latency, oh right there is.

The biggest problem is your brain - even the average esports player will still have nearly 100ms latency between brain and muscle reaction and normal people it can be up to 400ms

Still, it would be nice to have. :D

Associate
I never understood why post processing seems to consist of blurring the whole image. I can't imagine who plays games that look like
the screen is smeared in Vaseline and I can't understand why blurring an image is somehow a 'feature'. Real life isn't full of blurred images
so why put them in video games?

Soldato
Real life isn't full of blurred images
so why put them in video games?
Because it's a cinematic effect. Games aren't supposed to be representations of real life, they're supposed to be hyper-real, make believe stuff. And all hyper-real, make believe stuff is highly stylised with motion blurs, lens flares and artistic colour grading, and naturally that all filtered down into video games over time.

Associate
Because it's a cinematic effect. Games aren't supposed to be representations of real life, they're supposed to be hyper-real, make believe stuff. And all hyper-real, make believe stuff is highly stylised with motion blurs, lens flares and artistic colour grading, and naturally that all filtered down into video games over time.
Yeah I know and I love lens flare, and some other cinematic effects, my colour palette is 10% over saturated but I've seen very few films where the actors are blurred and nothing has a sharp edge unless they're trying to mimic drugs/hallucinations. I play Arma 3 (meant to be a realistic Milsim) and there are still loads of post processing effects that look appalling and have no place in such a game. None of them add to the realism or the experience they all just beg the question 'why is this here'?
I just can't understand why any developer includes options to make an image look genuinely **** like the first iterations of DLSS in BFV or whichever it was.

Man of Honour

It doesn't really quite work like that - even a normal person will notice much over 100ms input latency even on a controller, the average gamer will notice more than ~2 frames of latency at 60Hz (around 50ms) and most serious gamers will start to notice it much above 16-17ms. But often the problem isn't so much the average latency but that the higher the average latency the higher the upper end of the range of latency during normal play can be with more instances where it is high enough to be noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom