NVMe drive on z97 MB?

Soldato
Hey guys, quick question:

i have a z97 motherboard, and while it has an M2 port, it knocks out some sata ports, so the questions is this - if i get one of those pci express cards and stick a sabrent rocket in it will it just work?

Mostly as a fast game drive, but is there also the possibility to make it a boot drive and clone over windows?

cheers

Associate
Which board? I had to change some BIOS settings that were hidden a few menus deep on my old Asus Z97 Ranger VII.

Edit: Also required running the latest BIOS at the time.

Soldato
I don't think you will get the full speed but it will still be faster than Sata, won't make much difference for games but you can take it with you when you upgrade.

It's quite a bit of faff to get working if you want to run the OS off it as a friend did and took him a few days to get up and running.

Soldato
OP
yeah i was just reading the msi webpage - i can't find the mb manual atm as i moved recently and its boxed up somewhere.

all my sata ports are full and using the m2 socket knocks out 2 of the sata ports.
apparently if i use the other pci express it knocks the x16 of my graphics card down to x8

Soldato
x8 PCIe 3.0 would not be any different really than x16 and if it did degrade performance it would not be visible. I know its not a top end card but i run a 1070ti in a workstation motherboard at x8 pcie 2.0 and get damn near the same scores for gpu when it was my main card in a 3.0 x16 slot, the benches overall are actually higher due to the dual cpu config and extra 10 cores :D

Back
Top Bottom