NVME Gen3 vs Gen4 ???

Stu

Stu

Soldato
With low prices right now, wondering if it's worth replacing my ADATA SX8200 Pro 2TB with a WD 850x or Hynix P41 Platinum... advice appreciated! System is Ryzen 5900X and MSI Tomahawk X570 mobo (I don't have any free NVMe slots).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was just about to ask the same thing. Looking at the link above i cant seem to find the P41, or 990 pro on the list. Am I looking at the wrong spot?

TPU didn't review them. This includes the 990 Pro as the high-end gen 4 drive and the SX8200 Pro as the high-end gen 3 drive, versus a controller used on PCI-E 5.0 drives, in a game which supports DirectStorage:

We're still talking a few seconds, best case.

Soldato
no, going from hard drive was amazing, going from ssd to nvme was ok, going from gen 3 to gen 4 nvme you need a stopwatch to see any difference

Soldato
Bern seriously tempted
By the p41 platinum 2tb right now
£85 is a great price
And a great drive
Would have jumped on it but
Already got all 5 x m2 slots occupied lol
And removing them is a PITA
Especially with full custom loop in the way
Can't wait till someone releases a pc case with
Hot swap m2 bays

Edited
As dave28 said
You may not notice much difference
From gen 3 to gen 4
If only got a single m2
More than one then copying files Between them
You should see a difference

Last edited:
Man of Honour
More than one then copying files Between them
You should see a difference
Only if the files are tens of GB each. And even then you have Windows file system overheads to tend to. Via file explorer you will not be transferring at up to 7000MB/s for example (typical good speeds for higher quality gen 4 drives). Between gen 3 and 4 it's essentially going to be the same performance for large file transfers inside Windows unless you use tools that bypass the Windows Explorer transfer methods (FreeFileSync etc). And even then the difference is in single digit seconds between say a 15GB bluray movie rip.

That's also all assuming both drives are gen 4, because if the source is gen 3, and the destination gen 4, then you're only going to be writing at gen 3 speeds as that's the fastest the read can happen.

Bottom line? Makes no difference. Just get the best spec drive for your budget.

Soldato
Only if the files are tens of GB each. And even then you have Windows file system overheads to tend to. Via file explorer you will not be transferring at up to 7000MB/s for example (typical good speeds for higher quality gen 4 drives). Between gen 3 and 4 it's essentially going to be the same performance for large file transfers inside Windows unless you use tools that bypass the Windows Explorer transfer methods (FreeFileSync etc). And even then the difference is in single digit seconds between say a 15GB bluray movie rip.

That's also all assuming both drives are gen 4, because if the source is gen 3, and the destination gen 4, then you're only going to be writing at gen 3 speeds as that's the fastest the read can happen.

Bottom line? Makes no difference. Just get the best spec drive for your budget.
Yeah should have said very large files
I do routinely move very large image files
Definitely don't get 7,000MBs sadly
But I do get a noticeable difference gen 3
Compared to gen 4
Got 3 x gen 3 and 2 x gen 4
Between both gen 4 moving 50--100GB images
Definitely faster for me

Associate
no, going from hard drive was amazing, going from ssd to nvme was ok, going from gen 3 to gen 4 nvme you need a stopwatch to see any difference
Exactly my experience as well. Slightly noticable improvement from SSD to nvme in load times, but day to day 3 to 4 no practical difference, and that was from a gen 3 that benches at 1500MBs to a gen 4 to 7000MBs.

Soldato
I upgraded from gen 3 to gen 4 NVMe purely because I needed more space on my games drive. The difference in performance is not perceptible. Samsung 990 Pro 2tb.

If you are only changing for the performance don’t bother.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Just to close the circle, I the was looking at the P41 2TB for £85 mentioned above... the price was crazy good and hard to resist, but the benchmarks didn't justify replacing my ADATA drive. Thanks to everyone for input!

Soldato
Easy to be tempted but save your money. I have two SN770 and would only change them if I needed more capacity. If you have to buy a drive you may as well get the faster drive if the price is close but other than that don't bother.

Soldato
With low prices right now, wondering if it's worth replacing my ADATA SX8200 Pro 2TB with a WD 850x or Hynix P41 Platinum... advice appreciated!

What is your use case? If it's for gaming don't bother; if you're running storage-intensive apps like databases then you might get a benefit.

Back
Top Bottom