NVME M.2 Safer Operating Temperature ?

Soldato
It's safe but not ideal, the SSD will thermal throttle down to cool down, but it means a drop in performance. You can get passive and water kits for them, some new Z270 boards have heat sinks built in. Can you not get better airflow to it?

Soldato
OP
It's safe but not ideal, the SSD will thermal throttle down to cool down, but it means a drop in performance. You can get passive and water kits for them, some new Z270 boards have heat sinks built in. Can you not get better airflow to it?

I took the little compartment door off the Sabertooth X99 to completely expose it and it went down to 70'c with fans circulating a good amount of air.

I put it in an M.2 PCI-E adapter card and there's air from 2 x 140mm Corsair ML Pro fans blowing air towards it from the front of the case and it still stays at around 70'c when in game.

I read Corsairs stats on the MP500 that 65'c is the upper most operating temp yet even with really good airflow this thing won't drop below 70'c during a game.

Minus watercooling is there anything else I could possibly do ?

Soldato
I've got mine in a special motherboard compartment that acts as a giant heat sink, but before that I ended up putting a thermo pad (strip might be a better word) on the back and stuck on little RAM heat sinks, it did make a difference but not double digits. Hey, every little helps, right?

I then bought a £25 alphacool kit, which is basically the same thing. Have a google.

Back
Top Bottom