NVMe overheating via USB-C

Associate
I have a 2TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD which I want to image my OS onto and replace my existing smaller NVMe.

I'm using a cheap USB-C enclosure to attach the target SSD to the host machine. However, after abut 20-30 mins copying, the temp of the SSD being written to spikes to >80C and it keeps dropping the USB connection and failing the clone.

Is there something wrong with my SSD? Should it be getting this hot? And should I be worried that it keeps cutting off over USB?

Associate
OP
NVMe's really aren't designed to be used at sustained load without "some" degree of cooling. If it's only temporary then get a desk fan pointing at it or something if you can, otherwise buy an enclosure with a fan.
The drive is going to put in my laptop as the main OS drive, that's why I'm concerned about the overheating.

Soldato
Did you happen to look at some reviews?

Tom's hardware gave the drive a bad review specifically because it got up to 103c during their testing. Critically however, their drive only throttled, it did not shut down at this temperature, unlike your drive which sounds like it's trying to die instead of throttling to manage the heat. But they didn't test it in a USB enclosure and it's possible the real temp on other sensors is even higher than the 80c you seen

I can't understand why it's so hot though, it's only using 4 watts of power during sequential load.

If you can't swap it for an other drive then it probably needs some cooling

Last edited:
Associate
What enclosure are you using?

I have a UGREEN one which uses the metal casing as a heatsink provided I use the thermal pads etc on the nvme.

Man of Honour
Not ideal for a laptop, for sure, but once the laptop is running, you're not going to be copying for 20-30 minutes, I assume (i.e. it should be fine under normal usage).

Is there something wrong with my SSD? Should it be getting this hot? And should I be worried that it keeps cutting off over USB?
For the record, even though the SSD is very hot, it could be the enclosure that's overheating.

Associate
OP
Not ideal for a laptop, for sure, but once the laptop is running, you're not going to be copying for 20-30 minutes, I assume (i.e. it should be fine under normal usage).

For the record, even though the SSD is very hot, it could be the enclosure that's overheating.
I took the cover off the enclosure when I saw the temps to allow more airflow.
Depends if the laptop provides cooling for the m.2 drive. Some laptops I notice a thermal pad that goes between the drive and the chassis. Others don't have them at all.
No thermal pads on this one, just a sticker that doesn't seem to do anything.

Associate
It's most likely the enclosures controller overheating and dropping connection. Regular throttling from the SSD should just drop the transfer speed.

I think enclosures with the rtl9210b chipset are the ones you want, preferrably with a metal case + thermal pad that actually makes contact with the outer case.

Associate
OP
It's most likely the enclosures controller overheating and dropping connection. Regular throttling from the SSD should just drop the transfer speed.

I think enclosures with the rtl9210b chipset are the ones you want, preferrably with a metal case + thermal pad that actually makes contact with the outer case.
Thanks.

I'll take a punt and assume it's a ****** controller on the enclosure and it will be fine when I pry the back off.

Back
Top Bottom