NVME PCI.E 3 vs 4

Soldato
Looking at a new Ryzen build and not sure if it's worth paying extra for X570.

Seems the only real advantage is PCIE 3 vs 4.

My research as shown that this won't make any difference to any GPU at the moment, but the real difference is the NVME SSD speeds. Benchmarks look good, but would the increase in speed be noticeable for the average Windows user & gamer?

Permabanned
Nope nor will going from a SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD to a NVME outside of benching.

PCI-E 4.0 was supposed to be short-lived as well late and was to be skipped (outside server Mobos) for 5.0 but AMD jumped on it.

Soldato
My opinion
Even with pci~e 3.0 nvme x4 drive
You won't feel much if any difference over a good sata ssd
It's when you have more than one nvme drive or some sort of fast raid array that pci~e x4 kills sata
As copying to/from pcie~e x4 to/from} ci~e x4 or fast ssd raid array hits Gbs
I have 3 pci~e x4 drives and a lot of times the files are copied before the file transfer window even has a chance to open lol
But for normal every day use a good sata ssd is just really fast any way
If you move a lot of files around then yes pci~e 3.0 or 4.0 and multiple nvme drives is very useful

Soldato
The law of diminishing returns kicked in with AHCI SATA for most scenarios, the average user sees no meaningful difference going from AHCI SATA to NVMe, going PCIe 3 to 4 for NVMe is even more pointless in most real world tasks.

Soldato
There is a video on YouTube by der8auer where he basically proves that unless you have EXTREME cooling on your NVME drives, both PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 drives throttle under sustained load and that you may as well just buy the PCIe 3.0 version as a result.

Associate
I found a huge difference between a HDD and a SATA SSD. In real world usage I don't notice any difference between a SATA SSD and a PCI 3 NVME. Therefore I doubt that you will actually notice any difference between a PCI 3 or 4 nvme. I use a 2TB Corsair MP510 PCI 3 on my X570 (as its fast and good value at about £260).

Soldato
I found a huge difference between a HDD and a SATA SSD. In real world usage I don't notice any difference between a SATA SSD and a PCI 3 NVME. Therefore I doubt that you will actually notice any difference between a PCI 3 or 4 nvme. I use a 2TB Corsair MP510 PCI 3 on my X570 (as its fast and good value at about £260).

Yep, the big jump was from mechanical to solid state. Above that you're probably not going to feel an improvement. I'd go for whatever is the best value (either high end SATA or low end NVME).

Associate
Yep, the big jump was from mechanical to solid state. Above that you're probably not going to feel an improvement. I'd go for whatever is the best value (either high end SATA or low end NVME).
I am finding that the lower end nvme aren't much more expensive than the SATA ones. so you may as well go for the nvme one if you have a slot on your mobo.

Soldato
Depend on how much data you need to transfer from drive to drive and how much data you need to access. For normal gaming you probably gonna get that bit faster load time. For heavy video and photo editing probably will be noticeable. Anything else probably nothing other than when you transfer that massive Blu-ray 4K rip file from one drive to another will be a minute shorter. Heat throttling will be resolved down the line as people start chunking our heat sink solutions.

Associate
There is a video on YouTube by der8auer where he basically proves that unless you have EXTREME cooling on your NVME drives, both PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 drives throttle under sustained load and that you may as well just buy the PCIe 3.0 version as a result.

Ahhh that's a interesting watch, was gonna get the new Samsung 980 when it comes out, mite aswell save abit of money now

Back
Top Bottom