nzbmatrix quits

Soldato
Lol yep newsgroups > torrents

This is really bad news I would have thought that newsgroups would have escaped. I use nzb.su mostly so fingers crossed but I'm it hopeful.

disagree

certain torrents sites which aren't accessible to the mass market are excellent. with speeds capped only by my bandwidth.

Have used one in particular for years it's as good today as it ever was. And you get used to the upload groups just the same as newqs groups so you know it's good if it's been upped by a specific person.

Many torrent sites are Gash granted but some are working very hard to prevent hit and run leeching. I can see some peoples disdain for them as valid but most are just blind to simplicity.

Heck I'm sure I'm not alone in remembering DC++ and other such programs. that was a real pain.

Associate
So what do i do now to ensure my sickbeard setup still runs smoothly, as obviously nzbmatrix and the api mech were an internal part of that chain

Sickbeard has it's own indexer. In the config section where you set the search order drag the sickbeard one to be above nzbmatrix. I had the same thing when newzbin closed.

Soldato
We wouldn't be in this predicament if the establishment would upgrade there distribution methods and provide us with the service the pirates offer.

DRM free, widely available and easily accessible.

Steam on the PS3 for example would be simply amazing.

Associate
I don't bother with usenet anymore - a combination of no longer wanting to download the earth and even public torrent sites often giving 20mbit+ download speed mean it's not worth it.

I always liked binsearch.info.

It's a shame nzbmatrix folded under the pressure - could they not just re-host the site in a friendly country?

Associate
I used nzbmatrix every day for the last year, loved it, so simple and so much content. One thing I thought was lost was the group's, but I have had Newshostings app sat on my drive for a year and never used it only till tonight. its great, should keep me going till the next blow out, check it out if you are with Newshosting and a nzbmatrix refugee !

Associate
Very disappointed but anyone with two brain cells to rub together should easily be able to find a free, alternative NZB indexing site.

Soldato
NZBMatrix was nice for the comments but it's loss isn't a big deal, all my automated Usenet stuff just kept on ticking without issues, and unlike the people complaining about Astraweb and incomplete files, mine seems to download what I want before incomplete files become an issue, and the few times it didn't quite update fast enough it just downloaded the par files (which also had some incomplete issues) and had sufficient stuff there to just repair and unrar as normal.

As I said, the only big loss was the comments, some were pointless but there was a lot of useful comments on there. Also the lack of spam on NZBMatrix was quite useful, as I've noticed on binsearch.info there has been a lot of spam of late, a lot of it on a.b.warez (I'm not discussing warez, the spam is either nothing, or malware, but not warez), and binsearch.info while having some not so bad filters, doesn't let you easily filter out all the spam/malware as easily as NZBMatrix did.

Caporegime
We wouldn't be in this predicament if the establishment would upgrade there distribution methods and provide us with the service the pirates offer.

DRM free, widely available and easily accessible.

Steam on the PS3 for example would be simply amazing.

Its worth noting that I have several series bought as retail copies, some are ONLY available as DVD, while you can download 720p or even 1080p versions, others I have the bluray, for instance Band of Brothers, but the blurays themselves are horrendous.

It literally takes several minutes to get into an episode of Band of Brothers on the blurays sometimes, its got horrendous laggy menu's, horrible menus, constant messages, adverts, crap, even beyond all the DRM its just so slow to go through menu options that take ages to react.

Clicking a file and watching a ripped episode is simply a far more pleasant viewing experience than trying to watch the physical bluray.

Like I said, I'd very happily pay for a subscription service, especially to HBO, but something akin to Netflix, higher quality, instant access where you could add/remove network packages would be awesome. Some people want kids tv, I don't want to pay for it, 95% of the stuff on Netflix is crap, a service that let you either buy by the episode, or let you add say NBC, HBO, etc for various costs, and discounts for packages and the like, would be epic.

Physical media is inconvenient, a decade behind current technology in terms of delivery of content, takes up room, can be damaged and is basically slow as crap to get to actual content due to DRM.

Do I feel guilty about downloading Band of Brothers when I bought the dvd boxset when that was available, and bought the bluray box set when that was available, and keep copies on my hard drive that can be watched more easily and with less hassle.... no, suprisingly I don't feel guilty about "stealing" content I've paid for a minimum of 4 times(bbc, sky, dvd, bluray).

Soldato
Its worth noting that I have several series bought as retail copies, some are ONLY available as DVD, while you can download 720p or even 1080p versions, others I have the bluray, for instance Band of Brothers, but the blurays themselves are horrendous.

It literally takes several minutes to get into an episode of Band of Brothers on the blurays sometimes, its got horrendous laggy menu's, horrible menus, constant messages, adverts, crap, even beyond all the DRM its just so slow to go through menu options that take ages to react.

Clicking a file and watching a ripped episode is simply a far more pleasant viewing experience than trying to watch the physical bluray.

Like I said, I'd very happily pay for a subscription service, especially to HBO, but something akin to Netflix, higher quality, instant access where you could add/remove network packages would be awesome. Some people want kids tv, I don't want to pay for it, 95% of the stuff on Netflix is crap, a service that let you either buy by the episode, or let you add say NBC, HBO, etc for various costs, and discounts for packages and the like, would be epic.

Physical media is inconvenient, a decade behind current technology in terms of delivery of content, takes up room, can be damaged and is basically slow as crap to get to actual content due to DRM.

Do I feel guilty about downloading Band of Brothers when I bought the dvd boxset when that was available, and bought the bluray box set when that was available, and keep copies on my hard drive that can be watched more easily and with less hassle.... no, suprisingly I don't feel guilty about "stealing" content I've paid for a minimum of 4 times(bbc, sky, dvd, bluray).

Effectively what you've done is a format shift, even if your chosen method of shift was a download and the powers that be have said nobody will be charged for this in the UK. It will soon become a right as it is a defacto one already, what you talk about is not what the movie/music industry are interested in at all and you know it.

Got to say it's good to see the news groups taking some stick after all the people who have said they were safe and nver going to be touched while we watched the worlds authorities chase the pirate bay and Kim dot com.

Sadly it looks like Kim dot com is going to get off despite being a total scum bag who's made millions out of other peoples creative works it makes me sad to think our legal systems support scum like him rather than the people who actually create things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems these big media companies have shot themselves in the foot, by closing nzbmatrix, a hub where everyone can download stuff in a reasonably controlled environment.... isnt everyone just going to splinter off and create their own indexing service using newznab?

This would make it near impossible for all of them to be shut down. Because of this 1 site being shut down, hundreds or possibly even thousands of people will run their own personal indexing service.

Back
Top Bottom