1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Adz, May 8, 2005.

1. Zaphan58

Wise Guy

I've started to use Google domains for registering.

Google sites might do what you want. Suppose it depends if it fits your needs.

2. Flukester

Man of Honour

I used to use Dotster years back as US based hosting used to be cheap, then moved to Vidahost. Vidahosts service has got worse and worse though in last year... all my sites would go down many times a day with a uptime reported by statuscake of under 90%... they would blame it on things like 'a table crashed' blah blah, or 'your MySQL password changed' (yeah right). The final nail in the coffin was when sites were down a whole afternoon and also my shared IP was flagged as a spammer by GMAIL. I couldn't contact them by phone, they didn't reply to my ticket... and only after 20mins on 'hold' with online chat did they reply.

So on friday I moved to Krystal, 5 active WP sites.... also moved all my domains spread across Dotster and Vidahost to Google Domains (under the assumption if you can't trust google who can you trust... and maybe, just maybe, there is some algorithm to like Google registered domains in Google search more lol)

Anyway, very happy with speed so far... got my main site up to 85 mob / 85 desktop on Google page insights. Also loving the lets encrypt built into CP, one click SSL ftw. Krystal themselves reply to chat / tickets straight away and are very helpful.

3. gsf600y

Mobster

MY first major problem with Vidahost today.
    https://help.vidahost.com/status/report/7207
    Server died, but has been restored...apparently.

Currently, I've got emails not coming in, but when I look at my IMAP mailboxes, the emails have gone back to 2015!!! :(
    How old was that backup :(
    If they dig out of this hole, remind me to backup my companies email accounts seperately. Crossing fingers I've not lost 3 years of company email right now.

4. AHarvey

Sgarrista

I've moved over to Krystal but haven't had chance to even touch it yes and it's been 3 months. Need to get me wedding photography site finished and uploaded, and how to change from monthly to annually payment, it's driving me crazy each month having to refresh it :D

I can't complain about the setup process though, very easy and fast, had to use their support once and had a response within 10 mins. This was how Vidahost used to be.

5. AHarvey

Sgarrista

If you need a hand with the site/seo/social media let me know :)

6. gsf600y

Mobster

For what it's worth, having had ANOTHER issue with Vidahost, now Tsohost, I've moved to Krystal.

Can't comment about reliability yet, too early, but their online chat support is much quicker than tsohost responding to me.

Once I've finished moving all my domains, I'll attempt to get Tsohost to delete all my data, which could be interesting as a lot of the problems stem from when they moved me into a new server in 2015. Ever since then, problems occur whereby the old server from 2015, still with all my data on (for some reason), rears it's ugly head. Oh look, all my email has suddenly reverted to 2015....Ah, they've pointed my domains back to the old server AGAIN.....
    They don't seem to be able to manage things very well.

7. ristac

Hitman

I was with Vidahost and TSO Host prior to them becoming one and the same, I sent a support ticket today and I was sent a document of how to fix the problem myself, not quite what I expected.

I have 5 domain names, 4 have Lets Encrypt, the other has a paid for SSL Certificate via TSO Host, my Lets Encrypt ones have had numerous issues and problems, I am not sure if it is down to Lets Encrypt being "free" or the host..

Anyway, it's time to change hosts, I like the look and reviews of Krystal Hosting but they use Lets Encrypt, I have asked if they have a paid for version and they do but only an EV costing too much and far more than I need £170+ VAT

So any other suggestions of decent hosts with the option to upgrade to an SSL better than Lets Encrypt?

Why am I anal about the SSL - I only collect email and address details (I provide a man and a van service) and I have spent decent money having my site made mobile friendly, speeded up and it has a paid for SSL and all these things added together has given me an awful lot of Google love.

8. adamr255

Associate

Yeah, just be careful I always search them on Google and see and read multiple reviews. That way you get a better idea if the company is good or not.

9. Mp4

Sgarrista

Well its time to move from TSO since the loss of VidaHost too many internal error issues and slowdowns.

Ive heard about SmartHosting / Krystal (seem reasonable) I am thinking of a re sellers account with Smart though as they offer more :)

any advice? :D

10. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

Probably not massively helpful but Krystal have been nothing short of amazing for me.

11. Mp4

Sgarrista

which package are you using? do you re-sell??

i'm slightly annoyed with myself - not knowing about tso(go daddy) and have been sending money to pay for my hosting with tso to my client wallet. So looks as ill be with them for another year at least as I cant get the money back.

And looking at the re seller for both Krystal and Smart. Just too out of my price range :/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  12. superleeds27

Hitman

Had an issue the other day with Krystal. A site must have got hacked and it basically spread and led to another 10 being infected.

Took roughly 8 hours to sort. The automatic restore feature on the JetBackups wasn't working, they didn't tell us this until a restore had failed 3 times.

Have to say I do like Krystal, but, this has made me question their security a little.

13. Beansprout

Man of Honour

Were the other sites addon domains on a cPanel account?

If so, because they all run under the same account they can all access each others' files.

One of the downsides of the feature unfortunately.

14. TriedandTested

Capodecina

TSOHost have become awful. Downtime and other problems over the last year, moving servers has not helped. I have no idea how i've stayed with them so long tbh.

15. Mp4

Sgarrista

Well hopefully this year ditch TSO!! Still looking in to Re-Selling either with Krystal or Smart hosting or at a push just able to host 9 website at the moment.

Anyone have any tips for re-selling?

16. Glanza

Sgarrista

Switched from 123-Reg to Krystal for my domain name, switch was instant and their portal even without using cpanel is easy enough to get around. Cheaper aswell when it comes to renewal.

I looked at smarthosting before Krystal as they say thats for the home user however you can't manage your dns on smarthosting without having a package bolt on, with Krystal you can.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  17. Steeps

Mobster

Anyone else on Krystal just lost their sites? Static sites for us still up but anything using a database has gone right now :(

18. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

My site is good. I'm on Ares Cloud Hosting.

19. Steeps

Mobster

I'm on Sapphire Cloud, been on hold now for 40mins so I think there is a problem.

20. Steeps

Mobster

Now resolved, someone else's website's SQL database using too many resources. Explains why the static sites were still working. Thought there would have been an upper limit on resources to prevent downtime.