OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Soldato
Warning for anyone on Krystal with smaller sites, which I suspect to be many people here:
Massive price increases (40% or greater) incoming.

I was paying £47.99 p/a (been there for good 5 years now)
They're now moving to a new cloud platform, and discontinuing all older plans.

New price is now £84 p/a

Unfortunately, that's insane.

Soldato
Warning for anyone on Krystal with smaller sites, which I suspect to be many people here:

New price is now £84 p/a

Yup, getting rather uncompetitive now, not just a price increase but also reducing features (2 Sites Hosted down to 1). I know they spent £LOTS on high-end hardware for their Cloud platform which ended up being 2 generations old by the time it arrived and went into production - with the newer generations being far more cost effective for performance. Some big-name hires too so it really does seem like they're making a push towards Enterprise which will share the same platform, and the existing shared customers picking up the shortfall.

Last edited:
Associate

New price is now £84 p/a

Jeez. Anymore info? Did they send you an email etc?

You think any of their other services s will follow suit eventually, reseller etc

Looks like I won't be recommending them to anyone else then at those prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jeez. Anymore info? Did they send you an email etc?

You think any of their other services s will follow suit eventually, reseller etc

Looks like I won't be recommending them to anyone else then at those prices.

Reseller price has stayed the same except it's now hosted on NVMe storage by default (no more first month for £1 though). Last reseller price increase was +£5 in 2022 which wasn't overly unreasonable at the time given the massive cPanel licence price increases which were absorbed for over a year at that point.

I think we're due another cPanel licence price increase this year too (there's already been 4 since 2018), so perhaps they're pre-empting it and setting up for the future :)

Last edited:
Associate
Reseller price has stayed the same except it's now hosted on NVMe storage by default (no more first month for £1 though). Last reseller price increase was +£5 in 2022 which wasn't overly unreasonable at the time given the massive cPanel licence price increases which were absorbed for over a year at that point.

I think we're due another cPanel licence price increase this year too (there's already been 4 since 2018), so perhaps they're pre-empting it and setting up for the future :)
This going to be their own system that replaces cPanel? I remember seeing something about that a while ago?

Permabanned
Agreed. Especially when Stablepoint have a package at £1.99 a month which would be fine for the majority.

Does feel Krystal have gone backwards and everything I liked about them, I now don't (Price, 24/7 support etc)

They should have kept servers to host low traffic sites. Never mind.

I’m not with them anyway so it’s all good for me.

Soldato
Haha know something we don't ;)
They'll be over-provisioning like the majority of other hosts and then adjusting it (and shifting customers elsewhere) depending on the number of tickets they get - it just needs depends how much **** taking they do :cry:

Either way, their new pricing sucks; plenty of other cheaper and just as good (if not better) hosts around.

Soldato
Haha know something we don't ;)

:p I just know a couple of ex-staff and one that's still there.
They are careful not to oversubscribe server resources though and do have a really solid development team that actually care about performance. I can't imagine a time where any customer could complain about speed issues and it actually being due to resource oversubscription.

I've sold/supported servers for large hosting providers in the past and my general recommendation for them was to never have more than 1000 per server as it makes for a lot of people affected with very busy phone lines all round when something inevitably goes wrong.

Nothing as bad as a popular competitor that have 6000+ accounts per server though and do just shift those who notice it around as @visibleman mentions.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
:p I just know a couple of ex-staff and one that's still there.
They are careful not to oversubscribe server resources though and do have a really solid development team that actually care about performance. I can't imagine a time where any customer could complain about speed issues and it actually being due to resource oversubscription.

I've sold/supported servers for large hosting providers in the past and my general recommendation for them was to never have more than 1000 per server as it makes for a lot of people affected with very busy phone lines all round when something inevitably goes wrong.

Nothing as bad as a popular competitor that have 6000+ accounts per server though and do just shift those who notice it around as @visibleman mentions. :rolleyes:
Ahh insider info, always handy!

Happy with Stablepoint for now. I do know they (Stablepoint) are moving away from cloud providers and buying their own equipment.

Back
Top Bottom