1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OC'ing my Gaggia Classic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bossk128, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Bossk128

Wise Guy

I think the super-dear ones are designed for shops/offices, for many cups of espresso per day.

2. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Oh yeah, I agree but I've always found that it can't make really fine foam to try and pour art with it, there's nearly always a very small layer of frothy looking milk on the top of the rich thicker stuff.

Fine if you want a supermarket style frothy coffee though, which I like more often than not :D.

3. Bossk128

Wise Guy

4. Bossk128

Wise Guy

I've ordered the one from Drury, it posted out today. I'll keep the post updated, and maybe try to take photos when I do the mod.

5. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

cool

6. Bossk128

Wise Guy

It's alive!!!!!

Before I start, please take a lot of care if you are doing this. It's not difficult, but just take sensible precautions. Unplug from the electricity, and don't do it if it's still hot. Obvious. Also, when screwing the new wand back on it should be obvious that it fits ok, and it should be tight enough. You don't want steam escaping from the seal (the steam is still controlled by the knob, so it won't leak while steam is off). Test it first with a jet of water immediately after powering up (before it's hot) by opening the steam knob and pressing 'brew' and 'steam' at the same time.

Just take responsability for your own actions- if you're unsure, don't do it! The internets did not make you do this.

Here's my journey in pictures.

Here's the old steam wand still attached:
    [​IMG]

A comparison with the new steam wand, which had a bolt and two washers I removed:

[​IMG]

Here's a slightly blurry close up of the fitting. The brass nut that's inside the machine holding the wand can break easily:

[​IMG]

So I used a handy Ikea flat hek and an appropriately sized spanner (12):

[​IMG]

Got the old wand off really easily, with no snapping of brass!

[​IMG]

The old wand:

[​IMG]

The old wand needed to be bent out a bit to get the fixing nut off- I used pliers and elbow grease, with some protective kitchen towel :)p) in case I put it back on:

[​IMG]

7. Bossk128

Wise Guy

New wand slid right in! Note that the rubber washer from the original wand stayed in the fitting, so I left it there and didn't use the Silvia supplied washers:

[​IMG]

Although it was a good fit, it was a little too tight once fitted up to rotate smoothly- cue 10 minutes sanding on 400 grade. Really, it was just enough to remove the finish of the wand and not much at all:

[​IMG]

Tightened up just a wee bit, didn't even use the Ikea thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to keep the rubber 'handle' on the bend despite it's naffness- after trying to move the wand when it's well over 100C I think it's the right thing to do:

[​IMG]

So I'm happy so far. Done some milk, it now swirls which is great (the old wand only kind of agitated the milk), and I don't see me running out of steam per cycle with only two of us max wanting foamed milk at once. All good.

Only down side is that the arm doesn't really hang snugly at the back of the drip tray- no problem really.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  8. platypus

Caporegime

We need a side forum for Coffee Machine mods.

9. flat-6

Mobster

Very nice writeup. I'll have to buy one too, looks simple to do.

10. rjk

Caporegime

is it quad core?
    have you got the latest drivers?

11. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I love it !

12. growse

Soldato

Sorry to resurrect, but my steam wand arrived today, and it works great! Thanks for the guide :)

I didn't bother to sand it down, and it's a bit stiff to rotate. Might keep it that way though.

13. kiwigirl

Associate

Could someone send me the direct link or a picture of the correct silvia arm so I can order one in New Zealand. Need a picture of the full arm? Thanks

14. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

You revived and ancient thread that includes the information you needed to ask that? Well done. :/

15. bmi92

Hitman

Lol at first post!

16. bmi92

Hitman

Not only that, they signed up to do so lol

17. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Lol, easy on her, first post, just read up kiwigirl :p

18. p0ss3s3d

Wise Guy

Do we reckon "kiwigirl" will post more than 5 times during her stay? I'd bet no.

19. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Don't say that, I have a soft spot for girls from down under :D

20. giacomotaylor

Associate

Excellent write up. Thank you so much. I made the modification and overall I'm very happy with it. Much much better foam now. The only problem is that when I tighten the bolt that holds the wand on, I can no longer rotate the wand. I think the rim toward the top of the wand is a bit bigger than the old one. I did sand the end of the wand down, which made it possible to get the bolt on at all. Anyone else run into this problem? My local roaster suggested I use this H2-rated like of lubricant, but I'm not so sure that's going to do it.