October 23rd Media Event

Soldato
Because it means when the Mini comes out, everything that's ever come out for iPad will be completely compatible with it from the start. It's a logical move for them... plus it means when they upgrade it next time round 1st gen buyers will have more of a reason to upgrade.

You don't seriously believe that has any bearing on matters when you consider the second part of your post and also the fact they're happily sending other new products like the iPhone 5 down a new aspect and resolution route? They've made it perfectly clear that 'backwards compatibility' is of no concern to them by changing their propriety connector and obsoleting swathes of add-ons and accessories.

What would have been sensible was a 7 inch version of the iPhone 5 display.

Soldato
Reviews are saying that the mini screen is very good though, sharp.. Crisp.. Great colour rendition. A much higher quality screen then the resolution suggests.

Soldato
I'm surprised but ultimately there's nothing with this one that makes me want to upgrade. The iPad 3 isn't slow, has the Retina display, the weight is identical, the battery life is the same - new ports and faster guts... meh - iPad 5 will be where the temptation is at for me and now this is coming out that means at LEAST another 6 months, if not longer IMO.

The more I think about it I can't really find much of a reason to sell up, especially as there is no jailbreak in sight either at the moment. I'll see how much my one might go for, if I won't lose too much I might just do it but boy I think I might smash my iPad up if another comes out in March lol

I just don't understand why they have bought it forward, all the other iPads, iPhones and iPods to my knowledge haven't been refreshed half way in just over 6 months. Is it to take the thunder away from the Surface because the iPad 3 even as it is probably hardware wise is better than any other tablet.

Associate
Can I get a refund on my 3rd Gen ipad? I got mine on launch day and with them updating it 6 months later I'd rather get my hard earned money back and buy a different tablet. Yes ok I don't need another tablet but had Apple said guess what guys there's a new one out 6 months later, I doubt it would have sold as well as it did.

Soldato
Can I get a refund on my 3rd Gen ipad? I got mine on launch day and with them updating it 6 months later I'd rather get my hard earned money back and buy a different tablet. Yes ok I don't need another tablet but had Apple said guess what guys there's a new one out 6 months later, I doubt it would have sold as well as it did.

Not sure if srs or trolling?

Soldato
The more I think about it I can't really find much of a reason to sell up, especially as there is no jailbreak in sight either at the moment. I'll see how much my one might go for, if I won't lose too much I might just do it but boy I think I might smash my iPad up if another comes out in March lol

I just don't understand why they have bought it forward, all the other iPads, iPhones and iPods to my knowledge haven't been refreshed half way in just over 6 months. Is it to take the thunder away from the Surface because the iPad 3 even as it is probably hardware wise is better than any other tablet.

I can only imagine they decided that given the processor shrinkage and adoption of a new port on all the other top iOS devices, it didn't make sense to have their flagship iPad use what are now legacy ports and it'd be more efficient to just update it.

Also the iPad traditionally came out a fairly long time after the iPhone, playing catch up with the internals. Resetting the cycle to a short time after the iPhone release means that all their flagship iOS stuff can now come out at a roughly similar time and it's probably better logistically for the parts they use to all be updated in a similar time frame as well.

I guess what this means is that I now can't see them updating the iPad till this time next year, which is nice in a way because it gives them plenty of time to work out how to get the weight reduced which is the only thing I'm not impressed with currently.

Permabanned
I would buy the 256 gig 500/500r/w from ocuk at £180 notes and install it myself. All fusion does it help people who don't know how to organise their data into a storage drive.

Seeing as how much apple will rape you for cash on the fusion option you prob dont get a top spec ssd either.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Ain't the mini for kids and people on a budget? Why the hell do u people assume it was gunna get retina display and that? Seams better than I expected tbh.

Caporegime
I would buy the 256 gig 500/500r/w from ocuk at £180 notes and install it myself. All fusion does it help people who don't know how to organise their data into a storage drive.

Seeing as how much apple will rape you for cash on the fusion option you prob dont get a top spec ssd either.

I don't fancy opening that at home...I know Phate did it but I am not that brave !

It was hard enough before, now it is even smaller I can't see how it is easier.

Caporegime
Can't see any screws on this one lol, maybe the LCD is stuck on with adhesive and that's the only way in?

In previous gen you need suction pads to lift off the glass at the front, there is a 2mm gap between the glass and the actual LCD, you then put the glass to the side and lift the LCD to reveal the innards.

That's how you get inside it.

It will kill me if I find dust in it afterward !

In previous gen you need suction pads to lift off the glass at the front, there is a 2mm gap between the glass and the actual LCD, you then put the glass to the side and lift the LCD to reveal the innards.

That's how you get inside it.

It will kill me if I find dust in it afterward !

Thats the advantage with this one. The panel is glued to the glass isn't it. So you wont.

Soldato
Ain't the mini for kids and people on a budget? Why the hell do u people assume it was gunna get retina display and that? Seams better than I expected tbh.

If they're aiming to make it the budget Ipad, then it's simply too expensive. At the price point it's at now, it really should have something over the competition to justify the extra price. It's simply too expensive for what it is, hence why people aren't happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom