• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Alderlake review thread

Soldato
@mrk I used 1.0mm x 15 pieces silicone cooling pad Thermal Conductive Silicone Pads (from that place) for the full length of the NVME heatsink. I have a 512GB and 2TB Gen 3x4 Silicon Power NVME drives and the thermal pads are a nice fit and the temps, with sustain heavy transfers, are fine. Not that sustained heavy transfers are a thing with my typical use. I do have a third WD Black NVME drive (1TB) to fit when I get round to it. That would disable my last two SATA ports when fitted.
You should find something like this in your manual....

ports.png

which would indicate what is compromised as the slots fill up.

Does that mean, from what I understood, that the large cover over your three M2 slots does not act as a heatsink for those ports..?
So you only have a fitted heatsink on the top one..?

Man of Honour
Hmm the cover over the 3x M.2 slots may well be a cover in that case as opposed to a heatsink. It is the same material as the top M.2 heatsink though so it will no doubt act as a heatsink.

Here's what it looks like in a clearer pic:

iMrePP6.png

Have to say I have not opened it to check yet.

I have now installed the main heatsink on the NVMe however and only left the thermal pad attached covering the controller chip. The temps have now gone right down, around 20 degrees cooler for both controller and flash chips, I am guessing the flash chips have gone down because the sticker attached to the drive is a thermal transfer sticker that distributes the heat evenly across the drive and since I have not removed it (voids warranty), is making contact with the heatsink pad and as such is transferring heat off the flash chips also.

CxxOU55.jpg

I'll keep an eye on it. 46 isn't too low, neither is it too high. And when the drive is being read or written to, the temp rises slightly. Interesting to note that Samsung Magician reports the flash chip temp only, not the controller temp hence why monitoring via HWINFO64 which lists both.

Before this the idle temps for the flash chips were in the 60s and the controller not far off 70.

Soldato
I don't really take note of the NVME temps. But my 2TB one seems to be when idle, or in typical use, around 29c and then, when benchmarked, rise to 43c. That is measure with Crystal Disk Info, HWinfo64 reports lower temps. My NVME C drive is reported at 27c.

Last edited:
Associate
12700k and 12600k are definetly the chips to get, 12700k in particular is not much slower than the 12900k but has significantly lower power draw, nearly 100w less! And that means its quite easy to cool, unlike the 12900k

Nah, I'm loving the 12900k, saves me putting the central heating on!! Win Win!

Soldato
Who's your daddy

dare you to stick a air cooler on it

Not this version of the GodLike for sure, they couldn't even get the PCIE spacing right for 3090 SLI NVLINK bridge, that needs 4 slot spacing for the official 3090 NVLINK bridge and aftermarket ones by other AIBS. Really not sure why they did that this time they normally have that right on their GodLike boards. This ones a fail sadly, unless you water cool the cards and buy a A6000 NVLINK bridge at over £250 that is 3 slot spaced. So all they did was add extra cost to a person needing SLI/NVLINK and now has to watercool or buy blower 3090 cards for air with a A6000 bridge at silly prices.

Soldato
Random shower thought today:

If Intel did a hypothetical 12-core Golden Cove chip (no efficiency cores) and tuned it to the max TDP of the 12900K so that neither had a distinct advantage, which would perform better?

Soldato
AORUS flagship Z690 Xtreme WaterForce motherboard pictured, costs 2200 USD

https://videocardz.com/newz/aorus-f...aterforce-motherboard-pictured-costs-2200-usd

gTrb0IX.jpg

Well at least they got the 16x slot spacing right for sli/nvlink 3090s and actually linked to the cpu 8x 8x... For $2200 :cry::cry::cry::cry:, the whole pc market has gone mad, $2200 for a mainstream cpu motherboard and not even a HEDT.. Intel are back... back to rip you off it seems. Yes I know cheaper Z690 boards exist, but even ones with 4 slot spacing are not able to do 2 x 3090 as the second slot is linked to chipset not the cpu, so only 4x not 8x and can't be used for sli/nvlink. What a scam really.

Last edited:
Soldato
AORUS flagship Z690 Xtreme WaterForce motherboard pictured, costs 2200 USD

https://videocardz.com/newz/aorus-f...aterforce-motherboard-pictured-costs-2200-usd

gTrb0IX.jpg

Well at least they got the 16x slot spacing right for sli/nvlink 3090s and actually linked to the cpu 8x 8x... For $2200 :cry::cry::cry::cry:, the whole pc market has gone mad, $2200 for a mainstream cpu motherboard and not even a HEDT.. Intel are back... back to rip you off it seems. Yes I know cheaper Z690 boards exist, but even ones with 4 slot spacing are not able to do 2 x 3090 as the second slot is linked to chipset not the cpu, so only 4x not 8x and can't be used for sli/nvlink. What a scam really.

Yeah **** that pricing. And at least where I am, motherboards do not hold value well at all. At least with a $2.2k GPU you will get good money back but a $2.2k mobo I'd probably only get $300 or $400 for it

Soldato
These waterblock boards are crazy pricing always have been. It’s the Aorus Z690 xtreme £800 with a £600+ waterblock, same as Z490/Z590 versions were.

Think the Z390 Waterforce was more reasonable at “only” £950

Back
Top Bottom