• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Alderlake review thread

Soldato
Yup finally a good budget cpu for 2022. Now lets hope for some good priced motherboards to go with it, to allow entry pc gamers into the hobby and even people on old hardware to upgrade at a decent price.

Sadly the 10400(f) and B560 are less than the cost of the 12400F on it's own, so that kinda makes it expensive, so it isn't actually a new budget king. What it does do is make a tough choice if you are/were going for a 12600K on a Z690 DDR4, as you could theoretically save a pretty decent chunk of change on a lower end board, and the CPU saving of £60-80. The other option if you don't give a toss about the quality of your motherboard is an A320/520 and 5600X for ~£280 which sits right bang in the middle in terms of performance and price.

I'll be doing some interesting build this year, I can see it already. :)

Soldato
When an i3 has four times as many threads as you want:
Runs some games surprisingly well (red dead redemption 2 around 25fps) although Far Cry 6 seems to struggle to get 2fps :p

Looking forward to seeing how the Pentium gets on!

Soldato
When an i3 has four times as many threads as you want:
Runs some games surprisingly well (red dead redemption 2 around 25fps) although Far Cry 6 seems to struggle to get 2fps :p

Looking forward to seeing how the Pentium gets on!

You can also put a 1ghz overclock on it.

it seems to match the 10900k in single thread load, so while it may not be ideal for gaming - I reckon this sub $50 cpu would still be great for 90% of office PCs

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Kinda what we already knew but a nice roundup of the range of Alder Lake currently on sale. That i3 is impressive for gaming for sure.

Associate
Any thoughts on 12600 vs 12600K? Not paying for the E cores seems silly, but then gaming workloads don't look like they need more than 6 cores for the near future either. Remembering the time when Intel offered the dual 3Ghz and quad 2.4Ghz for the same price, my friend and I made different choices and my quad system aged much better than his!

Associate
If your upgrade cycles are long then always go with the best you can afford now. If you've no interest in overclocking then the standard 12700 might be in with a shout.
Hadn't even thought about that, for just a little more you can get 2 more P cores with a 12700. There's an interesting tradeoff I guess with an overclocking motherboard vs a basic board and the 8 P cores. Motherboards need replacing so often these days it probably does pay to get the best CPU I can and then sit tight. My skylake 4 core system is due an update so 8 P cores would be a nice boost!

Soldato
If your upgrade cycles are long then always go with the best you can afford now. If you've no interest in overclocking then the standard 12700 might be in with a shout.

Agree.

I tend to keep a system for a few years (if it's still doing what I require of it), so I tend to get the best I can afford when building new, the exception being I could have bought a 12900K, but reviews didn't justify the cost over the 12700K for my usage, primarily gaming and normal desktop activities.

Caporegime
alderlake cpus seem pretty good. motherboard choices and prices are the main issue. also some boards even popular ones have glearing issues. like internet dropping out for hrs and other issues.

we could do with a good line up of boards to use on here would help many considering purchasing. you would think ocuk would do that so people are informed.

Caporegime
alderlake cpus seem pretty good. motherboard choices and prices are the main issue. also some boards even popular ones have glearing issues. like internet dropping out for hrs and other issues.

we could do with a good line up of boards to use on here would help many considering purchasing. you would think ocuk would do that so people are informed.

The issues are no different to ones we see in every generation. I'd love to see multiple reports of "internet dropping out for hrs" for example.

If there were glaring issues (above the norm), there would be multiple reports of them on this forum alone as there are plenty of owners.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The issues are no different to ones we see in every generation. I'd love to see multiple reports of "internet dropping out for hrs" for example.

If there were glaring issues (above the norm), there would be multiple reports of them on this forum alone as there are plenty of owners.

well i am looking to build a alderlake build and i always do a lot of research before diving in then i know i havent got to touch again until next build. when looking at motherboards and popular ones i was looking at reviews. the msi pro a for eg had the internet drop out issue on quite a few reviews and people having it. also other issues.

do understand that its pretty new and bioses will come out fix many things. just dont wanna be one of those people with the issues as anyone knows problematic hard to diagnose issues on pcs are frustrating and very time consuming.

Soldato
OP

wow what a cpu the 12100 is. AMD nowhere to be seen at this price point.

The problem for someone wanting an AMD mainstream/budget build is also that the Core i5 10400F and Core i5 11400F are quite cheap too,and B560 motherboards are not expensive either. As time progresses the B660 motherboards will also start dropping in price(just like the B560 motherboards did too).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom