OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
The trick is to find a word or phrase that sounds similar and persuade them that's what you've been saying the entire time :p
My mrs found someone use 'cupcakes'. I honestly find it quite hard not to swear sometimes (mainly when driving and somebodies done something stupid).

Soldato
Actual conversation with my 2 year old the other morning....
Me, trying to make breakfast time educational - Where does this milk come from Rory?
Rory, staring at me like I am stupid, points at the fridge - ehhhh fridge.

Made me so proud. Trolling instinctively.

Associate
In the same boat here but due in early July, seems so far away still but will come around quickly i guess.
Ditto, first due on August 8th. Already know it's a boy so at least we can buy with a gender in mind! Already have cot, buggy, various sleeping mattresses/blankets, loads of 0-3m old clothes (and some 3-6m old for when we know we won't have time to shop). Still a bit of a minefield really knowing what's required and what's just companies scaremongering us into buying stuff. Overall really excited, although nervous about how much life is about to change!

Soldato
Had our third just over three weeks ago and she's been pretty bloody good compared with our other two....they just never EVER slept (and still struggle now sometimes) but shes not been tooooo bad so far (touches wood)

Soldato
Ditto, first due on August 8th. Already know it's a boy so at least we can buy with a gender in mind! Already have cot, buggy, various sleeping mattresses/blankets, loads of 0-3m old clothes (and some 3-6m old for when we know we won't have time to shop). Still a bit of a minefield really knowing what's required and what's just companies scaremongering us into buying stuff. Overall really excited, although nervous about how much life is about to change!

Same due date as us (small world, isn't it?)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I haven't seen a single case of paediatric mortality from Covid. Which is really unusual. It seems to be a much milder disease in kids.
Is this definitely the case? This thought had crossed the minds of my wife and i last night too. You know what children are like too, it would only take one at their school to have it, and they'd all have it within a week.

Soldato

Car seat.

Also, I'd recommend going on a National Childbirth Trust (NCT) course in your local area. Its useful information presented in a small group setting of maybe 9-10 expecting couples, usually with due dates around the same time. The course was useful in providing us information about the birth process and childcare.

We found it fairly useful, but above anything else we now have a WhatsApp group with all the couples in and keep in regular contact and have also gone out for Sunday lunch. Its just a good way to be put in touch with people who are going through exactly the same thing as you. Given our due date is 8th March and all the other couples around the same time, we will be having a group meet-up 6-8 weeks after all the births to bring along the kids. Its a good little support group.

Soldato
OP
Discovering how hard it is to tell my 3 year old son not to swear when he copies me and then subsequently keep a straight face and not laugh or smile as I tell him off. :D

Yesterday my daughter came into the bog after I'd used it and said "open the window! JESUS!"

I had to try hard not to laugh. That's my wife through and through.

As already said, car seat is essential (make sure you can lift the whole thing out without mucking about or you'll risk waking him up).

Other than that, nappies, wipes and loads of muslin squares. Like, lots of them. Also, expect him to be in onesies at all times except for trips out of the house, because those cute little outfits are a ballache to change every couple hours when they spew on them or when you need to change nappies. Clothes are basically an optional extra compared to those little suits. On that one, I recommend the ones that unbutton down the middle and not the ones that button down to one leg. Trust me on that one.

Moses basket was awesome for us (moving her without waking her up was a lot easier), but other people don't rate them so ymmv.

Other thing that was awesome for us: one of those toilet seat shaped cushions for feeding. If you're doing bottle feeding it can wreck your neck holding them for like 30mins a pop, and the cushion saved my shoulder and neck after some serious pain.

Soldato
:D :D :D

My first EVER nappy change of my entire life was in the hospital with my wee lad.
This served as the first nappy change of his life also. We were in that **** together. Literally.

Girlfriend lying in the bed judging. Midwife standing arms folded watching on. Itching for me to fail miserably. Tutting and eye rolling on standby.
My own mother. Standing straight faced glaring at me.
The mother in law (not actuals married but life's too short to not call her that). Straighter faced than my own mother judging wildly. Something I thought impossible until this moment.

Wow. My first isn't even born yet (due any day) and this post sums up picture perfect my recurring paternal anxiety nightmare....the first nappy change.

Soldato
Wow. My first isn't even born yet (due any day) and this post sums up picture perfect my recurring paternal anxiety nightmare....the first nappy change.

Be ready. You're going to have a room full of judging women watch as you uncover that first mega poo from your screaming child. Once you break the back of that situation, nothing will stand in your way!

Baby 2.0 for me is coming in 3 weeks. I am hardened father now. I will be throwing aside midwives, mothers and all that stand in my way to show them how to do a nappy PROPER this time round.

Soldato
Reliving a nightmare currently.
My little girl had viral meningitis when she was six weeks old (now three) and now we going through it with out four week old little girl ☹️
Referred to pediatrics from the out of hours yesterday at local hospital and initially the senior doctor wasn't to concerned and just wanted to do blood tests but whilst there her temperature spiked so she was taken straight off for a lumber puncture and then a minimum 48 hours of antibiotics until they can tell what the spinal fluid cultures are doing.
Just spoken to wife and she had a bad night with her and they have said they think "something is brewing" as her temp went over 39 degrees in the night

Back
Top Bottom