OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
We had our first parent teacher meeting Monday just gone with our lads key worker at his play group. Didn't go well. :( (<sad face for his Mum as she was upset over it).

Basically, he is 3 years old 23rd Jan and they suggest he is progressing like a, iirc, 26month old. They say he should be talking in 5-6 word sentences, be more aware of his immediate surrounding (he trips over a fair bit when running and bumps into other children whilst playing), and a few other concerns.

Now, he does say LOTS of words and also some smaller than 5-6 word sentences. He follows orders, well as much as a nearly 3 year old does, like sits at the table when asked, gets his shoes, coat, tidies up when asked etc hes pretty good at doing what we ask of him. He knows wee and poo but not understanding that he needs to tell us when he needs them not tell us after as potty training is a bit behind and he needs to be fully trained next year for pre-school.

They also were concerned about him being 'too' active?!??!? They suggest something about his 'core' that maybe he didnt develop properly when he was a baby, eg did he miss out crawling, standing unaided etc. Saying to us that he should be staying still or relaxed more.

All this upset my wife and she now feels like a bad mother. I told her its all about ticking boxes and running side by side with official guidelines etc. yeah he didnt start saying words till early this year but over the last few months hes says new words every day and trying to get sentences out. But about the other stuff. You know of a 3 year old who doesn't run about and fall over or bump into things or people? I certainly dont.

She has come to terms with the report and now not entirely concerned with it as we see him progress everyday. He is learning things quickly too. Today we got him the FireHd for kids from Amazon and after an hour watching Paw Patrol and playing a drawing app he managed to stop Paw Patrol and load up the drawing app be himself. I was impressed. He knows what things are used for like Tv remote, rubbish bins for litter, puts his dinner plates and cup in the sink etc, I think hes doing fine but still, in the back of my mind, should he be doing more? Is he really that far behind?

thoughts guys. You been in a similar situation with your 3 year old?
Children progress at different rates. There are also many areas of progression, and some children progress faster in one than another. It's why your health visitor milestone checklists will be divided into communication, social, gross motor and fine motor skills. It's also why they don't throw up big red flags when your child hasn't hit one particular milestone; there's usually a problem if there are lots of milestones that aren't being hit at the same time.

For instance, your boy might not be speaking in full sentences, but he *does* have vocabulary and he *does* follow instruction. That presumably indicates that his hearing is fine -- one of the main reasons why a child's communication skills may be delayed -- and he's probably just a late talker. My sister's boys all started talking late, not using full sentences until they were 4. It sounds like your lad also might be struggling with gross motor skills, but it might also just be that he gets distracted easily and so trips over himself or doesn't notice other people. If he's walking up and down stairs, that sort of thing, it's probably okay.

But having said that, there are obviously neurological or physiological reasons why some children don't develop at the "normal" rate. If there are concerns, the easiest thing to do is to get in touch with your health visitor and let them assess him. If they think there's a problem, they'll refer you on. They might just advise you to give it a bit of time and reassess him later. As to pre-school, if you're worried about potty training, I would suggest talking to the school about it. I stressed so much about potty training before our son started nursery, but they were really good about it. Even though they state that children should be potty trained, they can't really reject a child if they aren't. It's more about impressing upon the parents that they should at least try to get their kids out of nappies. But forcing the issue often just leads to trouble -- and they're the ones who'll have to deal with the accidents during the day!

Soldato
I was told my daughter was progressing slowly at that age too, truth is she was simply more interested in things which weren't tested. She's now in primary 3 (7 year old) but has the 3 "R"s skills of 10 year olds, her reading in particular is mile ahead of what mine was at a similar age. I wouldn't worry about it.

Soldato
Thanks for all the replies. We are going to make an appointment with the Health Visitor next time we both off work together. Regarding one of you who mentioned about his vision, sight. I am sure it is very good as he spots planes in the sky that I can't bloody well see haha. He also has a good memory. We got a new xmas tree the other week and we set it up (minus decorations of course, just to see what it was like) and he put one of his really small toy dinosaurs on it. It's been there since erecting it and I told him the other day after I noticed it, "where's your baby dinosaur?" he promptly went to the tree and got it for me. Oh he calls bungalows, baby houses. So sweet.:0

About his hearing and speech. The lady told us maybe go to the doctors and see if his hearing is ok as that has an effect on speech. One of the reasons he may not be talking in sentences yet she said..

Soldato
My uncle (dads brother) never spoke a word, not a single thing till he was 3 years old. Doctors back then (1940's) just said he would do things when hes ready. Anyway hes a Dr of Physics who lectures in the petrochemical industry.

whilst milestones are valid they are only guides and children are all over the place.

Soldato
My 19 month old is a night mare with food at moment, he wants it, he doesnt want it, he wants to sit in his chair, he wants to get out of the chair, all the while screaming and and kicking off. Stressful stuff :(

Soldato
"So he doesn't seem not to understand and lie down on the floor"

Is that meant to make any sense?
Surely rule 1 of a key worker teaching children is at least the ability to write?

Soldato
Those titles are enough to make me :rolleyes:. I wouldn't worry about it, my wifes mum is a teaching assistant and looks after kids with special needs. She says kids tend to only develop in 1 area at a time and theres a period where everything else catches up. Also as my wife has been going round schools as my daughter starts next september, one of the school said they prefer them potty trained but its not the end of the world if they're not. It is miles easier once there are tho, no more change bag, i can just pop out with her and just put a jacket on her and were good to go. Unfortunately when i take my son out (was 1 in september) i have to spend ages remembering what i need to take lol.

Soldato
Key stage worker? Is that basically a nursery "teacher"? If so, I would take it all with a pinch of salt. Nursey and beauty jobs for girls are the same as the army is for the lads, it's where most of those dumb lot that can't do anything else end up, and yes, that's mean, but seeing as some of my best mates are army/ex-army and several nursery teachers as well I am speaking from experience.

Our friend's little lad has just been diagnosed with Autism, it was always obvious to my wife and I that he wasn't quite right, but, he's a lovely lad and if his mum and dad stop stressing out over it he'll be carry on and be fine in the school he's in. My wife was speaking to one of our nursery teachers about it and they moved on to a 10-year-old they know and this teacher was saying there are signs of autism in him... there isn't at all, he's a typical 10-year-old lad that's grown up with no male figure in his life and a mum that's a bit of a tramp and would rather be out with her friends than with her kids.

What I am saying is, don't take everything a poorly educated nursery assistant says, they are taught basic things about subjects such as autism and they haven't got the foresight to see that it could easily be a number of other things. If you are concerned check with a professional on the matter but don't take someone that writes OFF instead of OF for granted.

Associate
While the report card isn't great (in that the spelling and grammar is atrocious!) it would be unwise to ignore the feedback you're getting based on those grounds. Worst case, it causes you a bit of worry and everything's fine. Best case, you catch a problem early.

My wife's a stay-at-home mum, and we didn't send our son to nursery until January this year when he was 3 years 4 months. The teacher flagged up behavioural issues (including delayed speech) in the first week, and he's been under assessment for ASD ever since. It'll be April next year before we get a diagnosis. We always knew he was delayed in his social and communication skills, but wanted to give it time. In hindsight, if he'd gone into childcare earlier we would also have gotten the reports earlier, and might have had a diagnosis by now. In your case, the chances are there's nothing wrong -- but it's best to get it checked out anyway. :)

Soldato
My uncle (dads brother) never spoke a word, not a single thing till he was 3 years old. Doctors back then (1940's) just said he would do things when hes ready. Anyway hes a Dr of Physics who lectures in the petrochemical industry.

whilst milestones are valid they are only guides and children are all over the place.

Between myself, sister and brother we've got 5 kids between 4 & 7, they've all done different things at different times.

For example my daughter walked at a year and potty trained herself in a couple of days not long after, she just decided she didn't want to wear nappies any more. It took bloody ages to get riding a bike though.

My brother's boys walked later, still sometimes wet themselves but could ride nearly before they walked.

Soldato
His report card.

Untitled by chris sharples, on Flickr

Having re-read it again I noticed a rather significant error on the standard of English from the key worker. Using Off instead of Of. rolleyes....

Edit: actually there are lots of mistakes. Maybe it's time to move him to another nursery.

That's an atrocious standard of English.

Is the nursery attached to a school? If not I'd consider moving him to one that was. I don't know the ins and outs but my wife says that nurseries attached to schools have to have more highly qualified staff, ie actual teachers.

If it is attached to a school I'd be looking for another school :p

Soldato
His report card.

Having re-read it again I noticed a rather significant error on the standard of English from the key worker. Using Off instead of Of. rolleyes....

Edit: actually there are lots of mistakes. Maybe it's time to move him to another nursery.

Jesus wept, that's terrible. "Lot's off"? "does'nt"? "posative"? "repatition"? Also, the grammar usage and language structure is certainly way below English GCSE standard.

I wouldn't just move to another nursery, I'd ask to speak to whoever that is and draw attention to the mistakes before they get passed onto any other of their unfortunate charges.

Soldato
What age would you buy your child a tablet? My girlfriend has suggested buying our 2 year old son an Amazon Fire Kids tablet for Christmas but I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

He's a bright lad, very vocal, absolutely loves animals and playing with a farm house/tractor set we bought him for his birthday in September. He'll occasionally watch Peppa Pig etc on my step-daughters iPad but most of the time is in the front room playing with his toys with the TV on in the background.

She's said we'll limit his time to an hour or two a day, but I really don't want him to end up curled up on the sofa for hours on end with his face stuck in a screen. I'd love for him to have an interest in technology and computers, he will often sit down and look into my windowed PC case but that's not quite the same as having your retinas burned by a screen in close proximity on full brightness.

I grew up around computers, but they weren't quite as accessible (or harmful) as they are today.

Soldato
What age would you buy your child a tablet? My girlfriend has suggested buying our 2 year old son an Amazon Fire Kids tablet for Christmas but I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

He's a bright lad, very vocal, absolutely loves animals and playing with a farm house/tractor set we bought him for his birthday in September. He'll occasionally watch Peppa Pig etc on my step-daughters iPad but most of the time is in the front room playing with his toys with the TV on in the background.

She's said we'll limit his time to an hour or two a day, but I really don't want him to end up curled up on the sofa for hours on end with his face stuck in a screen. I'd love for him to have an interest in technology and computers, he will often sit down and look into my windowed PC case but that's not quite the same as having your retinas burned by a screen in close proximity on full brightness.

I grew up around computers, but they weren't quite as accessible (or harmful) as they are today.

My nephew started on the ipad at this age. He is now 5 and owns only one "toy". a PS4. Not the slightest bit interested in other toys/games. His mum gave away hundreds of pounds worth. Such a shame.

Don

Kids will be introduced to technology whether you like it or not. 1hour per day is probably a bit much, but likewise they are really handy for long journeys in the car etc. The amazon kids tablet has a lot of educational games available too (all included in the price)

Soldato

We got Evie one for her second birthday, you can set them to only allow X number of hours per day before it just shuts itself off. You can also set a start and stop time as well (9am - 18pm) and it has moderated age appropriate content (ours is set to max age 3). She really likes it but isn't on it that much, we just allowed it to be a toy like the rest of her stuff and thats how she treats it. She loves peppa pig and its got loads of content that will change as she gets older.

Associate
That's an atrocious standard of English.

Is the nursery attached to a school? If not I'd consider moving him to one that was. I don't know the ins and outs but my wife says that nurseries attached to schools have to have more highly qualified staff, ie actual teachers.

If it is attached to a school I'd be looking for another school :p

My 3yo goes to a nursery attached to a school and his class is supported by a fully qualified teacher and two supporting assistants, he's come on leaps and bounds since starting. I wouldn't want to put him in a stand alone nursery after the experience I've had now, although I do appreciate standards do vary.

Soldato
OP
My nephews are always buried in theirs, and I decided to hold out as long as I could. I don't want my daughter as glued to a screen as the rest of us. I worry I'd end up using it as a crutch rather than playing with her myself (you know those moments when you'd give anything for 5mins of peace)

Back
Top Bottom