OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
You've left it very late for the flu nasal spray. You should have been doing that months ago, when it was first available!

Well she's still only 1 and I don't think she'd have been able to have the nasal spray then. Isn't that for 2 and up? Anyhow, we was already at the doctors when we enquired about it and even receptionist doubled checked with someone to make sure she could have it done early. Also I didn't actually hear about it until recently when it was featured on BBC News due to some girl passing away.

Even so, it's better late than never.

Soldato
My OH (who was 33w+6) woke up last Tuesday morning suffering with some bleeding. We got her up the hospital straight away and they checked her out, but couldn’t find anything obvious; baby was fine and so was the gf. It was looking like they’d send her home the next day, 24h after the bleeding had stopped.

I went home at 9pm to get some shuteye but at 11pm the gf text to say her waters had broken! By 4am she’d started contracting, but these were short-lived. Due to her recent bleed and for the safety of the baby, the decision was made to induce her. This happened at around 3pm and despite the gf being absolutely shattered as she’d been awake for 36hrs, labour itself went pretty smoothly (easy for me to say haha!) and she managed the whole thing on a couple of cocodamol and and gas & air.

So at 23:40 on 31st January (exactly 6 weeks early) we welcomed our beautiful little daughter Elsie into the world, weighing 4lb 9oz:

She’s down in the Special Care Baby Unit at the moment. It was initially really scary seeing her hooked up to all those machines, but she’s been making some really good progress the last few days..she’s such a little fighter! The only things left attached now are a feeding tube into her tummy and the heart rate monitor, so she’s looking much more like a normal baby. The main issue has been jaundice and she’s been cooking under a load of lamps to try and fix this, but they turned them off last night so *hopefully* this is now resolved, but we’ll see today.

The gf’s milk supply is starting to come in now, and Elsie is certainly wanting to feed as she’s been showing all the trademark signs, but at this stage she may not be able to co-ordinate herself properly to make it work. It’ll come in time though, and they reckon she’ll be in for a couple of weeks anyway.

In the meantime we’re just enjoying having her in our lives and having skin to skin time..she loves cuddling up on daddy’s chest and it’s amazing to see her opening her eyes when she hears my voice..it’s such a special feeling and I still can’t stop welling up every time I think of her :)

Last edited:
Soldato
First born is due in June so starting to look into and buy all the gear we'll need. One thing I can't seem to get anywhere on is baby monitor. I'm after one that obviously does sound, and ideally also video and temperature reading too. Problem is on amazon they all seem to either have bad reviews, or if they have good reviews, they come up as untrustworthy when I run it through a review checker site. Same issue with breast pumps.

Looking in shops like mamas and papas or mothercare, they have a smaller selection than amazon and all predictably higher price. So not like I can just use a trusted shop that won't be stocking garbage.

Anyone have anything that fits needs that they'd recommend? Cheers.

Soldato
First born is due in June so starting to look into and buy all the gear we'll need. One thing I can't seem to get anywhere on is baby monitor. I'm after one that obviously does sound, and ideally also video and temperature reading too. Problem is on amazon they all seem to either have bad reviews, or if they have good reviews, they come up as untrustworthy when I run it through a review checker site. Same issue with breast pumps.

Looking in shops like mamas and papas or mothercare, they have a smaller selection than amazon and all predictably higher price. So not like I can just use a trusted shop that won't be stocking garbage.

Just get one that does sound, anything else and you will be checking every few minutes, thus ruining your time with the baby and the mother. ... Just get an AUDIO one only.

Soldato
My OH (who was 33w+6) woke up last Tuesday morning suffering with some bleeding. We got her up the hospital straight away and they checked her out, but couldn’t find anything obvious; baby was fine and so was the gf. It was looking like they’d send her home the next day, 24h after the bleeding had stopped.

I went home at 9pm to get some shuteye but at 11pm the gf text to say her waters had broken! By 4am she’d started contracting, but these were short-lived. Due to her recent bleed and for the safety of the baby, the decision was made to induce her. This happened at around 3pm and despite the gf being absolutely shattered as she’d been awake for 36hrs, labour itself went pretty smoothly (easy for me to say haha!) and she managed the whole thing on a couple of cocodamol and and gas & air.

So at 23:40 on 31st January (exactly 6 weeks early) we welcomed our beautiful little daughter Elsie into the world, weighing 4lb 9oz:

She’s down in the Special Care Baby Unit at the moment. It was initially really scary seeing her hooked up to all those machines, but she’s been making some really good progress the last few days..she’s such a little fighter! The only things left attached now are a feeding tube into her tummy and the heart rate monitor, so she’s looking much more like a normal baby. The main issue has been jaundice and she’s been cooking under a load of lamps to try and fix this, but they turned them off last night so *hopefully* this is now resolved, but we’ll see today.

The gf’s milk supply is starting to come in now, and Elsie is certainly wanting to feed as she’s been showing all the trademark signs, but at this stage she may not be able to co-ordinate herself properly to make it work. It’ll come in time though, and they reckon she’ll be in for a couple of weeks anyway.

In the meantime we’re just enjoying having her in our lives and having skin to skin time..she loves cuddling up on daddy’s chest and it’s amazing to see her opening her eyes when she hears my voice..it’s such a special feeling and I still can’t stop welling up every time I think of her :)

Congrats mate. Little beaut! Bet you cant wait to get them home.

Associate

I highly recommend this one:

GHB Video Baby Monitor with Camera 2.4" Wireless Night Vision - Search on Amazon.co.uk

You can pair more cameras if you want. It can be audio only if you want. Set it to activate at certain noise levels. Play a lullaby or talk too little un. Very good signal strength, I still get video in the kitchen downstairs 30ft away. The base unit charge lasts about 8 hrs on standby mode, which uses the same charger as my Samsung S7, you get a charger with it. Both the camera and base unit are small enough to take away on holiday if little un has a cot in the next room. The camera does not operate on batteries and must be powered at all times. It has a temp sensor too, although it is 2 degrees out compared to a thermometer.

A cracking piece of kit.

Soldato
I agree, love watching little un play with her toys in the morning before wanting a feed.
Even our 3 year old is still worth watching as he lined his toys up sings songs or pretends he's flying to the moon. It's great to see without disturbing his imagination!

Oh and to help out the chap who asked we have an mbp36 by motarola it's great the video quality even in total darkness is great and you can add a second camera if you have more than one kid.

Soldato
Even our 3 year old is still worth watching as he lined his toys up sings songs or pretends he's flying to the moon. It's great to see without disturbing his imagination!

Oh and to help out the chap who asked we have an mbp36 by motarola it's great the video quality even in total darkness is great and you can add a second camera if you have more than one kid.
Obviously he still has sides on his car, it's rare we don't get an early morning Wale up call from our 4 year old daughter.

Soldato
Just get one that does sound, anything else and you will be checking every few minutes, thus ruining your time with the baby and the mother. ... Just get an AUDIO one only.

I lean towards this way of thinking, we used our audio only for a brief period really.

Unless you live in a mansion where you're in another wing, if the baby is distressed you'll know about it, otherwise you'll end up training them that even the slightest noise and you'll come running. Believe me that's a bad place to be IME.

My brother and I were quite relaxed in that regard and have no issues with bedtime/sleeping through with 3 kids between us. My sister still uses a monitor with a 3 and 7 year old and her kids are annoying little gits who make bedtimes a nightmare for them, they've been conditioned to having someone run to them at every little whine and can take hours of sitting / lying with them until 10pm and beyond before they'll finally fall asleep absolutely shattered.

I get on well with my brother in law and we have regular drinking/gaming nights, but I absolutely refuse to go round there as it's just a stressful place to be at night-time.

Soldato
I lean towards this way of thinking, we used our audio only for a brief period really.

Unless you live in a mansion where you're in another wing, if the baby is distressed you'll know about it, otherwise you'll end up training them that even the slightest noise and you'll come running. Believe me that's a bad place to be IME.

My brother and I were quite relaxed in that regard and have no issues with bedtime/sleeping through with 3 kids between us. My sister still uses a monitor with a 3 and 7 year old and her kids are annoying little gits who make bedtimes a nightmare for them, they've been conditioned to having someone run to them at every little whine and can take hours of sitting / lying with them until 10pm and beyond before they'll finally fall asleep absolutely shattered.

I get on well with my brother in law and we have regular drinking/gaming nights, but I absolutely refuse to go round there as it's just a stressful place to be at night-time.
We have no issues with our 2 with a video monitor. It's more useful for my son as he's only 1.25 years old and it's useful to tell If he's sat up or not.

Soldato
Aye, all kids are different.

Plus as long as you only use it as a monitor or tool to be able to enjoy watching your kid play and not as an alarm to dash up every time it'll be a very different outcome.

As with all all things, read around, pick and choose what works for you and yours.

Soldato
My boy is five now. I swear I have no idea where the last five years went.

It is so strange having to look at photos of him as a a baby to remember what he looks like!

Soldato

Interesting how everyone sees things differently you think it's bad to 'train' your kids that you will come if the call for you I think it's worse for them to know that nobody will come if they do!

Our three year old knows that if he calls for us one of us will go and yes every now and then one of us will land up sat with him while he resettles but I'd much rather that than him not bother calling because nobody comes. We use a monitor as I see no need for him to get so upset I can hear him screaming over the TV before I go to him, we live in a small terrace for reference. Most of the time he goes happily to bed at 7 and wakes up at 7 the next day. The little one is only 8 months so to young to understand anything.

I would suggest the monitor isn't the issue it is much more likely to be a lack of consistency and routine at bed time!

Soldato
Obviously he still has sides on his car, it's rare we don't get an early morning Wale up call from our 4 year old daughter.
No sides have been off since the summer he dudn't use to get out of bed as he is happy chatting with his teddies he now gets up and uses his potty then sits in his room playing or 'reading' until he gets bored and shouts for us.

Back
Top Bottom