OcUK Dadsnet thread

Man of Honour
Anyone here been to Dubai with a 2 year old? If so. where did you stay, what activities did you do?

Been a couple of times but the kids are used to hot weather so wasn't too bad. Only short stays. We stayed with friends so can't recommend hotels but there tonnes to do there. What do your kids like? Lots of places to go swimming, malls, we even went to the ski dome! Went to visit some of the souks, trips on the Dubai creek and so on. I found the old town quite fun.

If you do go past May it does get hot (even for me) but they have AC everywhere and if you're out early it's not bad at all.

Found it to be quite easy to get around but we only needed 1 push chair.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Currently he mostly likes having tantrums. :cry: I can't wait for the flight.

Anything to do with cars, animals, usually 2 year old boy stuff. Well, not quite 2 yet. Think we are going to go to the Mall, their Legoland, they have some zoos etc.

Ah yes - well lots of cars there! I like having tantrums and I had a great time so I'm sure he'll be fine! The legoland there is fun too :) The fishtanks in the Mall are basically an aquarium too - bet he'll like seeing all the big fish there.

maj

maj

Soldato
Our 9 month old had his first induction to Nursery yesterday and the staff decided after 30 mins that we'd try again on his next induction tomorrow due to him not settling at all. Wouldn't stop crying yet was back to his normal self once he was back with us.

He has grown very attached to me and his mam being there that as soon as we disappear from his view he starts crying till he can see us again.

Hopefully it's just a phase and he'll grow out of it.

Soldato
Our 9 month old had his first induction to Nursery yesterday and the staff decided after 30 mins that we'd try again on his next induction tomorrow due to him not settling at all. Wouldn't stop crying yet was back to his normal self once he was back with us.

He has grown very attached to me and his mam being there that as soon as we disappear from his view he starts crying till he can see us again.

Hopefully it's just a phase and he'll grow out of it.
I'd say just go cold Turkey. Prolonging it doesn't help anyone.

OG

OG

Associate
Does anyone else struggle to trust the grandparents with their young kids. Grandma especially just cannot be trusted to keep an eye on our 10 month olds. They are both starting to walk so they are scuttling around on the floor quite quickly and trying to stand up and walk and she just forgets to watch them. We never leave her with them both because thats too much but its seems that almost every time we have her looking after them, one of them ends up falling over and smacking their head on the floor.

We were supposed to be leaving them with the grandparents for 1 day a week when my partner goes back to work in about 5 months but currently we just don't trust them enough. Perhaps when they are a little older it won't be such an issue.

Its an attention problem, not an age issue. They are both in their mid 60s. Anyone else had this issue and sorted it out?
Ironically we have the polar opposite, my in-laws are on another level of attention giving to our son (2.5) to the point we don't feel comfortable leaving him with them. I understand grandparents wanting to play with their grandkids but it's just on another level, they both just 'play' with him constantly to the point he's just absolutely ruined by the end of the day. We've had to force them to sit at the table so our son comes to the table to have some food/drink. It feels like they don't have any respect for us as parents and when we've said about maybe letting him play a bit more independently they just reframe is 'well we want to spend time with our grandkids'.

It just feels like the complete opposite of what we are trying to achieve as parents (encouraging independent play, risk taking blah blah blah) and I think my wife is finding it quite triggering that she never saw her parents like this when she was a kid as well. Ironically I think the in-laws wanting to spend time with their grandkids is going to results in them not seeing them anymore!

Did you raise it with Grandma as an issue? I have noticed with my mum that she treated our kids a lot older than they were so not really having an appreciation that they can't do X because they are too young so maybe an element of that?

Man of Honour
Anyone here been to Dubai with a 2 year old? If so. where did you stay, what activities did you do?
Well this plan didn't work out due to not being able to get staff travel with Virgin sorted, so we're off to Tenerife instead. Any tips for the plane? It's his first flight.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'll confess I've not read through the existing 287 pages of this thread.

Very very early days but, late yesterday I found out my wife is very likely pregnant.

To say I'm full of FUD, panic and general gloom about our 'lives' together (23 years so far) being over is an understatement - I'm even ashamed of typing that :(

...then there's everything that can go wrong along the way too. Petrified.

Last edited:
Soldato

Very very early days but, late yesterday I found out my wife is very likely pregnant.

To say I'm full of FUD, panic and general gloom about our 'lives' together (23 years so far) being over is an understatement - I'm even ashamed of typing that :(

Your life isn't over. Just a whole new chapter is starting

fez

fez

Caporegime

All the advice I can really give you is to throw yourself into it and never worry about asking for help and never worry that you are doing it wrong or your feelings are wrong. I feel like my life is way easier than my partners when it comes to our kids simply because I don't get involved in the social media ******** she is constantly telling me about.

You get out what you put in with kids and until they smile for the first time they are little parasites! After that they are smiley parasites and its all much better.

Yes your lives as you know it are over but that isn't a bad thing. Be positive and kids will add to your lives rather than take away unless you are constantly dwelling on what you have lost. If you do that then you will be miserable because you will be focussing on what you have lost rather than everything you have gained.

Kids are great. Added bonus, I like other peoples kids a lot more now that I have my own.

Soldato

My advice: acceptance, acquiescence and patience. Accept you are in for change, acquiesce to the demands that are necessarily put on you, and be patient with everyone. You will be much better off when you can think this way.

What is it that you do that’s SO great you need to mourn it?

You’d you can do an awful lot with a kid, just at different times of the day :p

DHR

DHR

Soldato
They're entirely selfish @Voltar hence the guilt. General stress and anxiety, holidays (non term time ones), cinema trips, gigs/festivals, theme parks, kit in and around the house, watching/playing anything not kid friendly, keeping CDs, films/games under lock and key (horror stuff etc.) even self care, all selfish and materialistic.

My biggest worry is it could ruin our relationship, it's unlikely but 23 years is a long time to live doing nearly anything you want when you want to.

I have very little self respect and I'm a naturally negative thinker, I know all of the above makes me sound like a total **** but I'm generally far from it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom