OCUK founder Spie passes away

Man of Honour
So, so sad :(

Thank you Spie for providing a platform for this community to develop. Because of it, I have learnt so much, made some good friends, started new hobbies, got better at existing hobbies and shared experiences/knowledge with like minded individuals, and so much more in the 15 years I’ve been a part of it

RIP

Soldato
RIP - great legacy to leave behind. Most people can only dream of having such success and enjoying life.

Sad times - condolences to the family and friends.

Soldato
I've already posted in here, but now I want to post about the good and happy memories I have with Mark and the rest of his family.

The OcUK 10th brithday party was a blast, I had only known Mark around 18 months by this time and this was the first time my wife met Mark and the rest of his family. At six AM we were in the hotel reception, still drinking and singing "Tom Jones - Delilah"

One year we spent new years eve in Dublin with Mark, Claire, Nathan, Aaron and a few others - this was one of the best new years eve celebrations I have had - my best memory is the busty bar maid who allowed Mark and the rest of us to go behind the bar during a heavy Guiness and Whiskey fueled afternoon and pour our own drinks.

Then was the time when he invited me and my wife to his 10th wedding renewal cereomy in Switzerland. The celebrations were wonderful, the location was amazing. And for those who were there, I give you "THE MATTERHORN....... GIVES YOU THE HORN!" and how can we all forgot the "gentle-hike" up a mountain for 2hrs the day after many many drinks.

Then there was another new years eve at Marks house in Alsager, a house party with a devils and angels theme - I wore 3" high heels and an angels outfil to Marks house party. I recall Mark wandering off to bed rather early that evening due to too many drinks.

Then the last celebration with Mark was his daughter, Emma's christening in Jersey, we flew out for the weekend and celebrated well. The return flights were delayed for hours and hours, and in the end Nathan, his girlfiend, my wife and I ended up getting a taxi from Bristol airport to Machester airport - we half expected that we were going to be stuck in Jersey and would be camped out with Mark for additional days.

Some of my fondest memories though were the more quiet evenings with Mark and Claire going for various evening meals around Alsager and Cheshire, the company never failed to make for a wonderful evening. Actually being able to enjoy intelligent, quiet conversation was a delight.

Mark you will be missed forever, but never forgotten. If it wasn't for you giving me a break at OcUK I wouldn't be in a successful position within the IT retail industry, for that I hold my hat to you and I will toast a very very large drink to you tonight x sleep well, friend.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've already posted in here, but now I want to post about the good and happy memories I have with Mark and the rest of his family.

The OcUK 10th brithday party was a blast, I had only known Mark around 18 months by this time and this was the first time my wife met Mark and the rest of his family.

One year we spent new years eve in Dublin with Mark, Claire, Nathan, Aaron and a few others - this was one of the best new years eve celebrations I had had - my best memory is the busty bar maid who allowed Mark and the rest of us to go behind the bar during a heavy Guiness and Whiskey fueled afternoon and pour our own drinks.

Then was the time when he invited me and my wife to his 10th wedding renewal cereomy in Switzerland. The celebrations were wonderful, the location was amazing. And for those who were there, I give you "THE MATTERHORN....... GIVES YOU THE HORN!"

Then there was another new years eve at Marks house in Alsager, a house party with a devils and angels theme - I wore 3" high heels and an angels outfil to Marks house party. I recall Mark wandering off to be rather early that evening due to too many drinks.

Then the last celebration with Mark was his daughter, Emma's christening in Jersey, we flew out for the weekend and celebrated well. The return flights were delayed for hours and hours, and in the end Nathan, his girlfiend, my wife and I ended up getting a taxi from Bristol airport to Machester airport - we half expected that we were going to be stuck in Jersey and would be camped out with Mark for additional days.

Some of my fondest memories though were the more quiet evenings with Mark and Claire going for various evening meals around Alsager and Cheshire, the company never failed to make for a wonderful evening. Actually being able to enjoy intelligent, quiet conversatory was a delight.

Mark you will be missed forever, but never forgotten. If it wasn't for you giving me a break at OcUK I wouldn't be in a successful position within the IT retail industry, for that I hold my hat to you and I will toast a very very large drink to you tonight x sleep well, friend.

Wonderful Lee, thank you all

Don
RIP Mark, such a indirect major influence on my life, a great man with the foresight to create what would go on to by an amazing company and forums.

Really shocked about the news.

My sincere condolences,

Stelly

Soldato
Did not know him but think I saw the username on here

Rip and condolences to all involved

A big thanks to him and his team bringing this forum and ocuk as my most frequented place to buy pc bits and the forum itself

Permabanned
O Man this is a Shocker Only 55 not expected. Seen post on Your's facebook :(
Never meet Him in person but Must have been a great guy if he rised fantastic guy like Yourself.

That's reason I live max I can every day can it be last :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So sorry to hear this sad news, not much can be said that hasn't already, so instead I'll make the same simple offer your dad made me 16 years ago when I was having a really bad time.

I have coffee and I have alcohol, call in anytime if you want to chat.

I always had a lot of respect for Mark, we didn't always agree and we didn't share the same views, but it never mattered. What he built here, and in his life, was inspirational.

Rest in peace Mark.

Associate
Very sorry to hear this.

Spie's post showing his brand new 599 remains in my mind as one of the best threads there has been on this forum. It was so detailed with great photos of every aspect of collecting the car. I remember at the time being in awe (and also just slightly jealous).

Back
Top Bottom