• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! **

Associate
Quieter then G1, Strix (that is not hard at all actually ;)), Inno X3. Good choice. Possibly GLH might be even better but it is bigger and has less warranty.

Strix noise levels under load is 40 dBA, G1 at 41 dBA, MSI 1080 at 39 dBA and Palit Gamerock Premium at 38 dBA (guru 3d) .. their lowest noise level on their chart is 38 ..

Last edited:
Associate
Strix noise levels under load is 40 dBA, G1 at 41 dBA, MSI 1080 at 39 dBA and Palit Gamerock Premium at 38 dBA (guru 3d) .. their lowest noise level on their chart is 38 ..

And that's really all just in the margin of error of test conditions.

Really there's no real-world difference worth mentioning between these cards.

Associate
When I checked a couple days ago I was about 100 in the queue for the EVGA 1080 SC. My cash has been taken for the order. Is the supply rate for this one much worse than the other 1080s?

It would be fairly annoying if i'm waiting til august or something to get my card. My build is running on integrated graphics.

Associate
Based on current reviews I would choose MSI Gaming X or Palit GameRock / Gainward GLH. If you do not want to OC probably Gaming X.

Last edited:
Associate

Sorry I just realised I made a mistake. I of course meant MSI Gaming X not MSI G1 (there is no such thing). Corrected original post.

Strix is the highest factory OCed AIB card ATM I think, so this could be your choice if you are after highest factory OC, but it is also one of the loudest and availability is total pants ATM with long queues.

MSI is well balanced package, dual slot, decent factory OC, cool operation and very quiet with close to none performance loss due slightly lower clocks vs Strix.

If you don't mind 2.5 slot construction and looks then Gainward GLH and Palit Gamerock look like even better choices from performance point of view due to theirs beefed up cooling, but they are 2 years warranty in oppose to 3 on MSI and also I do not know how good or bad they are with warranty claims and so on (or how prone they are to coil whine for example).

As I said in my eyes MSI is a really balanced choice.

Good luck

Last edited:
Soldato

Both of those tests/video are not true representations of how you normally set up a card. I'm assuming the 3D Guru is using an open bench too, as it's doesn't mention a case.

Open bench won't show how the cards perform in a case where the ambient temps are much higher. Listening to the sound from under the card wtf, I don't sit under my GPU, I don't know if you do? :) The sound should be be measured or recorded from the side if you want a real world comparison.

The video looks poor, more like a lets change the fan speed and compare rather than a real game load comparison.

That G1 looks like they ramped the fan speed to 75-100%, I don't think mine has gone above 55% since I've had it with a max temp of 73c, 69-70c mostly on 100% loads. And that's in a case that's not the best for cooling. So in an open bench that fan speed looks a little suspect.

I can't say much about the other cards, but I doubt they need to ramp up too much differently to maintain decent temps, particularly in an open bench.

Put it in a case and measure the sound or don't bother.

NB the G1 in the video doesn't sound anything like mine does in a case with side panel off.

Associate
In my experience, MSI Gaming coolers have always been the most impressive from a noise and heat stand point, certainly more impressive than EVGA cards. I just hate how the MSI cards look from a side view, especially those ugly asymmetrical intertwining pipes. I'll take EVGA's clean look any day.

Associate
So after using the GLH for almost a day I can confirm that with the default fan curve it sits idle quite high at 38 degrees as it turns off the fans but doesn't go higher than 70 under load.

I have finally settled on +60 on the core and +350 on the memory which is quite good considering the card was initially factory overclocked quite high. I have seen it boost as high as 2113mhz.

As for coil whine I have not heard a peep from the card and at load it is only running at 48% according to MSI Afterburner so she is whisper quiet.

The only game I have played is Overwatch and with all settings @ ultra/epic playing at 1440p on a 100hz monitor I haven't seen it go any lower than 90fps.

Quite happy overall I must say and glad I made the switch from the EVGA SC.

Matt.

Associate
So after using the GLH for almost a day I can confirm that with the default fan curve it sits idle quite high at 38 degrees as it turns off the fans but doesn't go higher than 70 under load.

I have finally settled on +60 on the core and +350 on the memory which is quite good considering the card was initially factory overclocked quite high. I have seen it boost as high as 2113mhz.

As for coil whine I have not heard a peep from the card and at load it is only running at 48% according to MSI Afterburner so she is whisper quiet.

The only game I have played is Overwatch and with all settings @ ultra/epic playing at 1440p on a 100hz monitor I haven't seen it go any lower than 90fps.

Quite happy overall I must say and glad I made the switch from the EVGA SC.

Matt.

Sounds good, by the looks of things the GLH might be one of the better cards out there (for now at least). Can't wait to get my mitts on mine!

Back
Top Bottom