*****OcUK have 100+ GTX 580 IN STOCK & NOW LIVE*****

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
much in the same way that i recently benchmarked the 6870s
i have managed to do a brief rundown of the way that the 580 is shaping up.

the card was tested in this bundle
using a TX650w corsair power supply and a 500gb seagate hard drive.
we used the EVGA GTX580

the card performed much better than expected. it runs much cooler than a 480 at stock speeds, but going off the temperatures whilst overclocked, watercooling may be the best option for serious overclockers.

as with the 480, i would anticipate that the serious enthusiasts amongst us would get the best of the card using watercooling.

managing 920mhz on the core of my personal 480 under watercooling, it was interesting to see the 580 hitting 938mhz core on the stock cooler using a fairly conservative overvolt.

note, the card did not clock past 820mhz on the stock voltage. we had to download the new Afterburner beta software to get voltage control online.
direct download here

this allowed us much more range. the card runs the fan at 85% max, it doesnt seem to go any higher. this may be a driver limitation but it is much quieter than the 480.

in all, i am quite impressed with the results, they were much better than i was expecting. personally I am looking forward to seeing the watercooling manufacturers bring out their cooling solutions for these cards.
then of course we have to wait for ATI to try and top the 580

good work Nvidia. :)

GTX580 @ Stock

580heavenstock.jpg

GTX580 @ 840mhz core [highest overclock on stock voltage]
580heaven840core.jpg

GTX580 @ 906MHz core
580heaven906core.jpg

GTX580@ 936MHz Core [highest attainable on auto fan]
580heaven936core.jpg

i didnt take it above this as i wanted to test the limits of the cooling solution in its stock form unmodified.
even on full fan speed, this card is a lot quieter than the 480

Vantage - please note the GPU Score as being the main point of comparison
here is the stock clocked card on vantage
580vantagestock.jpg

my personal GTX480 at stock speeds
stock480.jpg

my personal GTX480 at 920MHz core [under watercooling]
26239-1.jpg

here is a stock clocked 6870 for comparison [not really relevant but i had the img to hand]
6870stock.jpg

Soldato
470 SLI is faster than a 580

Ye, dunno why I though that lol.

Having a read through the reviews.

Seems to be hot on the heels of the 5970 overall (though not in any of the games I play :()

The lower power consumption is a good start, anyone know if there's a workaround for the throttling?
Is it temperature or power consumption related?

off to read some more reviews :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So to sum it up, its a lot faster than GTX 480, it runs quieter than 480, it runs cooler and it consumes less power. All for approx £50ish more, absolute bargain I say. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
hey rjkoneill could you get a system power draw reading on that max OC?

It would help a lot as I'm concerned about my PSU for good overclocking.

i havent got time im afraid.

nvidia have quoted around 30w less consumption than a 480

but i couldnt comment on overclocks.

plus all of those overclocks weren't exactly voltage friendly ;)

Associate
Question: Can you SLI 2 different model cards together, ie GTX580 & GTX480 SLI'ed or can only the exact same models be linked? If you can, will the scaling still be good?

Soldato
this last year has got to have been the busyiest (<<how do you spell that) graphics card makers have been, I have followed PC stuff for quite a few years and never seen so much choice, amazing really

Back
Top Bottom