OCUK Memory FAQ

Permabanned
Okies what is the ECC/REG and non ECC all about?
It sometimes seems to be mentioned with "optimised for servers".

Does this mean that a lot of mobos can not use the ECC/REG Rams ?

Associate
OP
Registered DRAM is a memory module that contains so-called "registers" that hold the data for one clock cycle before it is moved on to the next stage in the pipeline. This process increases the reliability of high-speed data access. Registered memory modules are typically used only in servers and other mission-critical systems where reliability is king.

ECC stands for "error correcting code." Like parity memory (normal memory is non-parity), ECC memory detects and reports memory errors. However, while parity can only detect errors, ECC can actually correct errors without interrupting the other operations of your system. As before, you would only ever use ECC with a sever or something similar.

Both registered and ECC severly limit the overclocking capability of your memory. Making high speed registered Dimms is VERY expensive, which is why AMD may have made a faux-pas with the athlon 64 in that respect (it needs registered Dimms as an ABSOLUTE requirement)

Associate
yes and no.

on amd systems, where the processor uses only half the available bandwidth of dual channel, the integrated graphics is better positioned to take advantage of the other half, but i think in fairness a normal graphics card would be able to use it a least a bit.

on intel systems, the processor uses the whole of the dual channel bandwidth, so you see a much bigger performance boost.

Associate
I've had a GA-7DXR (AMD 761) motherboard for over 2 years now, but ever since it was new I've been running it at the performance memory timing settings someone recommended me. They were:

DRAM PH Limit: 8
DRAM Idle Limit: 8
DRAM tRC Timing Value: 8
DRAM tRP Timing Value: 2
DRAM tRAS Timing Value: 6
DRAM CAS Latency: 2
DRAM tRCD Timing Value: 2

I've recently been experimenting with these timings, and have found those that give me the best memory bandwith in Sandra are:

DRAM PH Limit: 16
DRAM Idle Limit: 12
DRAM tRC Timing Value: 3
DRAM tRP Timing Value: 1
DRAM tRAS Timing Value: 2
DRAM CAS Latency: 2
DRAM tRCD Timing Value: 2

My computer unsurprisingly crashed when I set tRCD to 1T, but I wsa surprised how low tRP, tRC and tRAS would go. However, changing tRAS seemed to have no effect on the benchmark (using values between 6 and 2). It was the changes to tRP and tRC which really made the improvements. Overall, I got a fairly small increase from 1963/1861 MB/s to 1982/1887 MB/s.

What I want to know is:

1. Is it safe to leave these settings? When I first got this motherboard I heard it was unsafe (data corruption) to run tRAS below 6, but it seems to be running at 2 with no problem!

2. Why am I able to set tRAS, tRP and tRC so low? My memory is 256Mb Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 rated, and I have it running at 140MHz (multiplier-locked CPU is maxed out at 15x140 at default voltage).

3. Why does reducing tRC have more of an effect on performance than tRAS when tRC isn't even mentioned in the first post!

Thanks for any help :)

Starsky

S

Starsky

Oh dear have i made a mistake with my RAM purchase

I have an MSI NEO FI2R mobo with an Athlon 64 3200

Will OCZ El-DDR PC4000 Dual channel 2x512mb work on this setup?

I am currently running Twinmos 3200 2x512mb and the system just does not run stable - especially when playing games

I was hoping the RAM swap would sort things out but onthe back of the pack it says use the OCZ 3200 RAM for the A64!!!

Well I guess I will have to put it in and try!!!

normski

N

normski

help

you won't notice the difference between single and dual channel mode unless you are using the integrated graphics.
i was told that dual channel ddr board with matching pair of ddr would make my gamming better and make my pc run faster is this correct i have read above and put this quote in as i do not know what intergrated graphics are:rolleyes: :confused:

Back
Top Bottom