OCUK Memory FAQ

Soldato
There is a difference between single channel and dual channel, the difference is smaller when using a AGP card, there is a test done on this page.

Conclusion
First of all, the dual-channel mode of the nForce2 always makes a positive effect, and taking into account that this mode actually costs nothing (it needs two smaller memory modules instead of one big module), it's very possible to get the performance growth of 2-4%.

Secondly, the dual-channel support is not the weapon that helped NVIDIA win the battle on the chipset field. The VIA KT400, an excellent chipset, gives in to the single-channel nForce2 in the same conditions as to the dual-channel one (except the only one case), that is why the battle is won by the Californian company thanks to other components of the system logic, including the unique DASP.

If you are going to use the integrated graphics of the nForce2-G/T chipset, you should definitely use the dual-channel mode since the speed drop might reach 10 to 70%. Also remember that it's said that the graphics core used on the nForce2-G corresponds to the GF4 MX440-8x chip, but actually, the lower frequencies of the chip in IGP and of the system memory bring much worse results in the 3D graphics tests.

Associate
These questions are in regards to the sticky FAQ.

1/ Crucial are for people who don't want to overclock you say? But do they still make memory with very fast 0-0-0-0 timings regardless of this? Like, do they sell anything equal to Cosair's "XL" models (their very best pc3200 I think) for example? I don't want to overclock hardware at the moment but still would like pc3200 memory that's THE very fastest to begin with.

2/ Is getting memory with heatspreaders (Cosair) really a waste of money? Cosair's stuff goes through the roof when their modules include spreaders.

3/ If I got a pair of Crucial sticks (2x 512MB) and later bought another pair that were exactly the same, would the two banks/pairs be in sync with each other? I'm not sure how the two banks work or even if they are called banks :S .

3/ And finally, taking into account my P4's FSB of 800, and my mobo's FSB of 800, when getting memory do I have to add all the memory module speeds together and keep them under the 800MHz limit of the processor and mobo?

That's all, thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1/ Now Crucial sell Ballistix memory that comment of mine isnt so accurate. Crucial Ballistix 3200 can do 2-2-2-5 but mine went NOWHERE near the Anandtech samples

2/ Most good memory comes with heat spreaders these days, but its not essential. Heatspreaders don't make bad memory good!

3/In theory yes, in practise, no, as memory manufacturers are always making minor changes to optimise price / performance

4/ No, PC3200 is what to go for if running stock, if overclocking go for 3500/3700/4000 and above :)

Soldato
This sticky could do with a bit of updating, I think. For example, you're now beginning to need 1GB RAM to get smooth gameplay in most recent games.

Associate
Re: OCUK Memory FAQ - Updated 19-11-04

Socket 939 is the "holy grail" giving proper Pentium 4 style double sided support with normal un-registered DDR. All of the current top of the range chips use this socket, but low cost ones are now starting to appear. If you are building a new system, a Socket 754 one is the way to go!

:) Great post mate, jus this bit got me all confused :)

939 is holy grail but go for 754, lol - teency weency oversight

Associate
Thanks

Brilliant post, very informative. Before reading this i hadnt really got a clue about ram but now all my questions have been answered.

Thanks a lot it was a well needed post

Associate
Originally posted by 3xtemelyk3wl
2/ Most good memory comes with heat spreaders these days, but its not essential. Heatspreaders don't make bad memory good!

I read this in a Custom PC supertest;

Heatspreaders Debunked
For quite a time now we've had our suspicions that heatspreaders were nothing more than gimmiks, fitted to make DIMMs look fancy and more expensive. After all, heatspreaders are only ffound on high-end overclockers' DIMMs, not bog-standard OEM modules.
The theory goes that DIMMs don't actually produce that much heat in the first place. Secondly, if you peel a heatspreader off a DIMM you'll find that it's only connocted to the DRAM chips by therml pads, which are fairly innefficent at conducting heat.
So, to see if heatspreaders are actually important or just a gimmik, we decided to peel them off the wonderously overclockable *************** and benchmark again.
Surprise, surprise, the ******** overclocked to exactly the same frequency with the heatspreaders removed. The DRAM chips were hardly even warm to the touch, even after hours running through our intensive benchmarks at 706MHz.
So what's the moral of this story? Well, for starters, don't neccessarily assume that memory with heatspreaders will overclock better than memory without them. As our experiment shows, there's no benefit, even when you'e overclocking very heavily.
So what's the point? Several memory manufacturers confirmed to us (strictly off the record) that the only reason they fit heatspaders is to increase the perceived face value of their products.
However, heatspreaders do have a few minor benefits. For one, they make it easier to fit DIMMs, as the heatspreaders are easier to grip. They also reduce the chance of shorting out a DIMM with static electricity when you're handling it, as the DRAMs and other components are safely tucked away under the heatspreader.
However, there's not a lot to a heatspreader. It's just a piece of prettily anodised metal. So the next time you spot a heatspreader fanboy suffering from PJR (Purchase Justification Reflex) and prattling on about his new purchase, you can set him on the path to enlightenment.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi brilliant faq, i am looking to upgrade my 1gb of generic pc2700 ram to something good! i am getting a little bit comfused with all the different values flying around and looking on asus website at my motherboard seems to have only a couple of the types of memory i was looking at. im looking to get some decent pc3200 memory, pressumably id want to get cas 2.0 if it'll work. any ideas?

Soldato
Get some Geil value pc3200 (2x512mb), its under £100 here at OcUK. Besides the Geil RAM will overclock well, and extra ram speed can help make up for the slightly slower timings (2.5-3-3-x) compared with premium memory. The main thing is that the RAM is set to 1T command rate and its at least 2.5-3-3. The only real-life application that does significantly better with 2-2-2 timings is Winrar, and that difference can be made up by 200mhz extra cpu clockspeed anyway.

Associate
Cheers sr4470, ive invested in a gig of geil value ram and the system is runnin pretty sweet!

Any one wanna buy a gig (2x512mb) of generic pc2700 ram? :)

Associate
A little error in the first post perhaps?
In the last paragraph about A64's (specifically the 939 chipset), you say "the 939 is the holy grail" yet in the last sentence, you say "If you're building a new system then 754 is the way to go". Surely you meant 939?

Back
Top Bottom