OcUK Rogues Gallery (2020)

Don
just using pictures which the owners have provided themselves.
Granting consent in the past however, doesn't immediately imply that consent is granted now (for essentially a different website)

I hate being "that guy", but if it was my photo on there, then I wouldn't be happy to find that someone had reused it without at least asking.
Having an "opt out" to have it removed after it was already added, isn't good enough.

Soldato
Granting consent in the past however, doesn't immediately imply that consent is granted now (for essentially a different website)

I hate being "that guy", but if it was my photo on there, then I wouldn't be happy to find that someone had reused it without at least asking.
Having an "opt out" to have it removed after it was already added, isn't good enough.
Agree entirely. All OP has to do is apply some common sense and decency...which he clearly doesn't want to do despite it being easier to start the site completely fresh than to re-upload other people's pictures that haven't given consent for him to use, especially given he stated the old site doesn't even work any more so he's chosen to download / hunt out previously uploaded images to a different site and then rehost them himself. It's legally questionable and very much morally wrong, especially with about 80-90% of the members not being active and so being entirely unaware that their photos are being used for a purpose other than the one they intended (original site).

Commissario
It's legally questionable and very much morally wrong, especially with about 80-90% of the members not being active and so being entirely unaware that their photos are being used for a purpose other than the one they intended (original site).
They uploaded their pictures to the OcUK Rogues Gallery. They were used on the OcUK Rogues Gallery for years and years until JamieDot stopped renewing the domain. They're now being used on an OcUK Rogues Gallery, I really don't see the problem. If the original site had continued to be renewed, they'd still be there.

I don't see that they're being used for any other purpose than originally intended. Legally questionable? Rubbish. Very much morally wrong? That's arguable but I don't see how the usage is any different to the original purpose.

Don
They're now being used on an OcUK Rogues Gallery, I really don't see the problem. If the original site had continued to be renewed, they'd still be there.

Despite being identical in purpose, it's a new site, created by a different person.

If you gave rights to a newspaper to publish your photo but you randomly found your picture in a different newspaper years later without your permission, would you be happy?

Commissario
You'd think an admin on here would have some common sense...seems it's entirely too uncommon. :rolleyes:
I've made my opinion known - You tell me what you mean by legally questionable and address my previous comments and perhaps we can have a discussion rather than just you rolling your eyes at me.

/edit - I've raised this with the rest of the moderating team. We'll make a decision as to whether the old photos should be used or not and will come back to this thread.

Soldato
Bit of nonsense here. It's an updated and rehosted website meant for images that people have agreed to share, there is no issue here and it's purely whining for whining sake. Get a life.

Soldato
Bit of nonsense here. It's an updated and rehosted website meant for images that people have agreed to share, there is no issue here and it's purely whining for whining sake. Get a life.
It really isn't but sure, think of it like that if you want but you're really very wrong.

I can't be bothered to argue about reasons as clearly OP doesn't care and neither do admins (else the images would have been removed as soon as it was raised in the first page of this thread) or in effect, ocuk as the admins are representatives of the forum which is linked to the company (not just by the hosting).

Permabanned
OP
It really isn't but sure, think of it like that if you want but you're really very wrong.

I can't be bothered to argue about reasons as clearly OP doesn't care and neither do admins (else the images would have been removed as soon as it was raised in the first page of this thread) or in effect, ocuk as the admins are representatives of the forum which is linked to the company (not just by the hosting).

Can I just refer to the way back machine. (https://archive.org) The way back machine collects data and this is where I got it from. If there was a legal stance I would have though this website would have been hit first. As you know this caches content for websites as history. Soon this site will also be cached. Can you comment on this?

Just for reference so people can see here it is;
https://web.archive.org/web/20140516185525/http://ocukrogues.co.uk/

Just wondering why dogma is last as they're alphabetical.

I had a _ at the beginning. I will change this to reflect the changes. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom