• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Don
If this was a 1030 or 1050ti priced card
It is a 1050ti priced card.... :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £219.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Only buy if you have a PCIE4 motherboard and CPU, and even then its a dubious card. So that precludes anyone who hasn't built a new system in the last year. But then those people probably already have a graphics card.

So who is this for?
People doing a new "budget" build, or it's probably still an upgrade to those running 7850/7870/270X GTX650/660/670/770 even when hobbled by a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard.

AMD's margin on these must be sky high and these aren't even inflated by miners.
I've no idea why you think that - as already stated wafer costs are up (and presumably the only reason to push this out on 6nm was because that node actually has capacity), vram costs are up, distribution costs are up - everything is up.

In the "good old days" this would be a £100-£120 card all day long (like the 2GB 1050's/RX550 etc were), but those days are gone.

Soldato
I've no idea why you think that - as already stated wafer costs are up (and presumably the only reason to push this out on 6nm was because that node actually has capacity), vram costs are up, distribution costs are up - everything is up.

In the "good old days" this would be a £100-£120 card all day long (like the 2GB 1050's/RX550 etc were), but those days are gone.

I know costs are higher than before. But this card is a 64 bit memory bandwidth card, small die, and 2 memory modules. Yes that costs more than it did 5 years ago. But that doesn't come anywhere near explaining it unless TSMC, Samsung, Micron etc. have increased their prices several multiples since then.

The only people this makes sense for is people with no pre-existing hardware which will be a very small minority of current gamers. Yes kids buying new systems will need something.

Here is the TUF card which is more premium. $200 even for this premium version?

front.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
But what card do they already have? They probably have a 1060 or 580 or something. There aren't many people with literally no graphics card.

Here is the steam hardware survey. Who is AMD targetting?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

How many of those systems are PCI-E 4.0?
Yeah, this is 100% not a card for anyone to upgrade to. Like even if you're running something as old as a GTX 780 this isn't an improvement. But I would like to think that for PC gaming to be healthy it would need new people coming in all the time. And there are a whole lot of people who want to get into PC gaming. And right now the best advice for those people is "don't" and that sucks for everyone

Soldato
@Armageus is the wholesale price of higher end XT cards moving downward at all? I wanted a 6700XT at RRP or near enough but not at £700+ :cry:

Also noticed more in stock last time I looked but no wonder at that price. Waiting patiently for the scalper apocalypse...

Don
@Armageus is the wholesale price of higher end XT cards moving downward at all? I wanted a 6700XT at RRP or near enough but not at £700+ :cry:

Also noticed more in stock last time I looked but no wonder at that price. Waiting patiently for the scalper apocalypse...

I can't imagine so, but you'd hope that prices from top to bottom will eventually come down a bit, when either mining dies back, supply chains stabilise, and everyone realises how unsustainable global economies are becoming with constant rises.

I don't think we will ever see the likes of the affordable "good" cards like the 7850 / 1050ti / rx570, which were all available in the £120-£150 range at some point, but "bad" cards like the 6500xt are just a result of the situation we are in.
I'd like to think that when things improve £200 would at least become the new budget bracket, but with something far better than has been offered this time.

Associate

I doubt it freight charges are also going through the roof think pallet rates are now up from £50 to over £100 and this will only continue to increase as the year goes on

the costs to the haulage companies with fuel and parts is rising month on month ( work in the industry )

it would suprise me if anything goes back to two years ago household shops are about 15-20% more expensive on average just in the last six months

the best you might see is something close to £600 but thats a streach

Soldato
I doubt it freight charges are also going through the roof think pallet rates are now up from £50 to over £100 and this will only continue to increase as the year goes on

the costs to the haulage companies with fuel and parts is rising month on month ( work in the industry )

it would suprise me if anything goes back to two years ago household shops are about 15-20% more expensive on average just in the last six months

the best you might see is something close to £600 but thats a streach

RPI inflation is at 7.1%and rising, energy cap goes up 50% in 10 weeks time. So no i dont think anything will return to levels seen 2 years ago.

Soldato
TPU tests over a dozen games with different PCI-E link speeds:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6500-xt-pci-express-scaling/
The PCI-E 2.0 scenario isn't that far fetched. Until last year I was still running a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 and an athlon x2 unlocked to quad core phenom 2 x4 equivalent. With my GTX 970 it was still giving me playable 1080p settings in many games. The CPU was rarely the main bottleneck once you turned settings up.

Stick one of these in and you are in single digit FPS territory on that system in a few games. There are still very few cross platform games where a Phenom 2 limits you to worse settings then a PS4 or Xbox One. This card would be an utter disaster in such a system.

Last edited:
Associate
RPI inflation is at 7.1%and rising, energy cap goes up 50% in 10 weeks time. So no i dont think anything will return to levels seen 2 years ago.

we are seeing 5-10% month on month price increases from some suppliers as most parts are only assembled in the uk and eu everything is costing more to import

some of our suppliers - suppliers have had major gaps in production over the last year , container shortages are a real issue as well

reading up on american supply shortages they might even have it worse than europe

Associate
Are any of these reviews actually comparing the card to alternatives that are available today, for the price they are available at?

Dumpster fire of clickbait content that completely misleads customers, and continues trying to tell a warped narrative from an alternative reality.

Soldato
In all seriousness, for the health of PC gaming, we could all do with an affordable card in this price bracket that will run new games with the settings set at roughly on par with an Xbox Series S at 1080p. That, at least, would help build enough of a user base to make it worth developer's time and resources making games for PC.

This is not that card.

Soldato
OP
The PCI-E 2.0 scenario isn't that far fetched. Until last year I was still running a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 and an athlon x2 unlocked to quad core phenom 2 x4 equivalent. With my GTX 970 it was still giving me playable 1080p settings in many games. The CPU was rarely the main bottleneck once you turned settings up.

Stick one of these in and you are in single digit FPS territory on that system in a few games. There are still very few cross platform games where a Phenom 2 limits you to worse settings then a PS4 or Xbox One. This card would be an utter disaster in such a system.

I agree as lots of budget gamers are older systems and older CPUs,which is why I really wish more articles followed up on performance using older systems.

Yeah budget gamers deserve better than this.

But,but....reasons! I still remember when people used node cost excuses for when we saw the Geforce Titan start at nearly £1000,when the previous generation top end was £500(which was the start of the massive upward trend in the fortunes of Nvidia).

Expect to see these in laptops/desktops at reasonable prices but DIY buyers get screwed over. It makes less and less sense to build a gaming system nowadays. Like I have mentioned before I have seen RTX3050/RTX3060/RTX3060TI/RX6600/RX6600XT dGPUs in prebuilt desktops and laptops at reasonable prices over the last couple of months.

In all seriousness, for the health of PC gaming, we could all do with an affordable card in this price bracket that will run new games with the settings set at roughly on par with an Xbox Series S at 1080p. That, at least, would help build enough of a user base to make it worth developer's time and resources making games for PC.

This is not that card.

Because the only way is to save up and get a whole system. The reality is that these companies and AIB board partners realise that those who build their own systems,are willing to either stump up more because they are miners or enthusiasts who are obsessed with their hobby. Basically the PC enthusiast who self built their own PC has gone from the most discerning customer to the biggest set of mugs and whales in a decade. Basically throw any amount of money they can.Sadly as the hobby has become less niche,people have entered the fray who don't do any research at all. Heck,there are people paying £300+ for a Ryzen 5 5600X right now.

So whilst idiots were paying £500+ for an RTX3060/RTX3060TI,you could get laptops/desktops for £900~£1000 with a similar dGPU,and decent specs off the shelf without having to even bother building it yourself,with a warranty.

Plus the other alternative is to get one of the consoles - the XBox Series S didn't get scalped in pricing. Even the XBox Series X and PS5,with the reseller market was getting less of a markup than an RTX3060 series dGPU for example(whilst those dGPUs were probably not even that much better).

Last edited:
Soldato
Smells like a shill review, the one guy that got sent a review sample and sticks to the script, apparently it runs fine in PCIe 3 as well. :o

He's not a shill for any company, he just looks at the bright side of the products reviewed and he did say it has its limits, he's just being realistic considering the specs of the card and the time we live in and the market it is aimed at. He's really a good guy to watch and a real tech nerd, not a pretend tech channel youtuber trying to play they know more than the companies that make these things just for click$..

Another video review.

Associate
Are any of these reviews actually comparing the card to alternatives that are available today, for the price they are available at?

Dumpster fire of clickbait content that completely misleads customers, and continues trying to tell a warped narrative from an alternative reality.

HardwareUnboxed gives a price table for MSRP and current prices. The 6500xt wins out, but the 6600 at more than 100% the cost still looks more viable imo. Normally the more you spend the less return you get, but 6500xt vs 6600 this is no longer true. SAM was tested for a few games and performance gains weren't noticeable under the test. They also did a quality settings break down, and it's evident that the memory limitations (which part i don't know), is likely to cause significant performance issues in the future.

I wish it wasn't true and this card could offer a budget consistent performance, but it just appears to be badly designed. I bought one and it's going back, i'm really quite miffed about it. We all knew the card was budget from spec and performance leaks and that's what many want, but this thing is just a joke.

Soldato
He is shilling, says it runs fine in PCIe 3 and he shows no benchmarks. Shows benchmarks with no quality settings info. His review totally opposite of nearly every other review out there

He's not a shill for any company, he just looks at the bright side of the products reviewed and he did say it has its limits, he's just being realistic considering the specs of the card and the time we live in and the market it is aimed at. He's really a good guy to watch and a real tech nerd, not a pretend tech channel youtuber trying to play they know more than the companies that make these things just for click$..

Back
Top Bottom