• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX6500XT review thread

Soldato
Well I got hold of one!, a pulse version for £180 and now they're all gone except for the Asus, (no surprise there then). I'll be trying the card in a gen 3 AND a gen 4 motherboard (I got both versions) and comparing with a rx480 4gb and rx6600 8gb.
saying all that, it is an alternative to s/h 570, 480 and 580 cards, cheaper too and brand new, but really, its a really poor offering from AMD, they do need to take a long hard look at what they're doing/going

Associate
I bought an RX470 on these forums a couple of years ago for like £40-50 for a friend. This card is about as fast as that....

Or a GTX970 which came out in 2013 is about a similar sort of speed. What a poor card.

Soldato
No wonder it has disabled media encode features,look at the power draw:
https://tpucdn.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6500-xt-tuf-gaming/images/energy-efficiency.png

This is really bottom barrel silicon being used!

It is saying a lot about 6nm and 5nm to come.. Now we know why next generation is going to be a bigger power hog.. In todays climate sadly £180 is a good deal on a new card with these sorts of specs. Next generation pricing is clearly going to be threw the roof, power use and heat generated by these new cards.. Say bye bye to the rumoursed 2x-3x performance increase to 7900xt over the current 6900xt, same for 4080 will be 20-30% increase if we are lucky at a more ridiculous msrp from the start.. Sad times for the GPU market.

Soldato
OP
They threw the power budget (of going to 6nm) at the 1ghz clock increase as making it a 40w part would kill the performance.

The spike was more concerning to me - not sure how its doing that. The RX6600XT seems to be more consistent. I honestly think an XBox Series S looks more and more of a fantastic deal for a budget gamer!

It is saying a lot about 6nm and 5nm to come.. Now we know why next generation is going to be a bigger power hog.. In todays climate sadly £180 is a good deal on a new card with these sorts of specs. Next generation pricing is clearly going to be threw the roof and power use, heat generated by these new cards.. Say bye bye to the rumoursed 2x-3x performance increase to 7900xt over the current 6900xt, same for 4080 will be 20-30% increase if we are lucky at a more ridiculous msrp from the start.. Sad times for the GPU market.

You have a point - 6NM might not be as great as we expect,either WRT to power draw or yields!

Associate
It's stands to reason most posters in this forum are enthusiasts, so this card is laughable. There is a huge market for discreet gpu's for general pc use, light gaming. Which this card is aimed at.

The price is obviously the sticking point. We are living in a supply shortage, hence is reflected in the price. I can only see the price going one way unfortunately.

Associate
It could also be that with wafers close to $20k, and design costs pretty high they almost have to clock these crazy high to sell them. The sweetspot of this card and 6nm might be 2.2GHz or so. Certainly not 1.2V so maybe whatever running at 0.9V could get without having to resort to golden samples. That would be a 75W or less card but is probably not worth their while. After all DIY gamers will pay, pay, pay. OEM laptop cards on the other hand might scale the voltage and clocks back to down to sensible levels.

Soldato
so tldr version is

Only buy if you have a PCIE4 motherboard and CPU, and even then its a dubious card. So that precludes anyone who hasn't built a new system in the last year. But then those people probably already have a graphics card.

So who is this for? If this was a 1030 or 1050ti priced card, it would be more appropriate for people trying to upgrade from onboard graphics. AMD's margin on these must be sky high and these aren't even inflated by miners.

Associate
so tldr version is

Only buy if you have a PCIE4 motherboard and CPU, and even then its a dubious card. So that precludes anyone who hasn't built a new system in the last year. But then those people probably already have a graphics card.

So who is this for? If this was a 1030 or 1050ti priced card, it would be more appropriate.
unfortunately its for anyone who doesn't have £400 to spend on a GPU... It sucks to be them :(

Soldato
unfortunately its for anyone who doesn't have £400 to spend on a GPU... It sucks to be them :(

But what card do they already have? They probably have a 1060 or 580 or something. There aren't many people with literally no graphics card.

Here is the steam hardware survey. Who is AMD targetting?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

How many of those systems are PCI-E 4.0?

Back
Top Bottom