• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
RX7800XT(reference)

RX7800XT(AIB partner)

Asrock

Asus

Gigabyte

Powercolor

Sapphire

XFX

RX7700XT
Asus

Sapphire

XFX

Group test

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Video reviews

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The 4060Ti 16GB wins it by about 32% :eek:

I don't think the RTX4060TI is comparable as its terrible. The RX7800XT is an RTX4070 competitor for nearly the same streetprice,so the RTX4070 would be no better.

But it seems some retailers are bundling Starfield with it(OcUK shows no game bundled),so its better value than both for now....which is not hard.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The power draw is a bit of an eye opener espeically when you put it up against it's competition the RTX 4070. Whatever happened to RDNA 3 being 50% more efficient per watt?

Techpowerup measures card power consumption directly:

So its worse but not as much as people might think. I suppose AMD having to use a 256 bit memory controll and 16GB of VRAM is not helping with power draw either!

Soldato
OP
These cards overclock a lot!!

6M20com.png

overclocked-performance.png

Soldato
OP
Same here. If it wasn't me flicking through youtube and just seeing the HUB video, I'd forgotten the launch was today. From 2012 to 2019 I'd be sitting waiting to see all the reviews and info on launch day with gusto :(

Maybe nearing 50 means you see through the marketing bovine excrement and see the poor attempt to hoodwink the consumers with "great new tech launches"

I only started the thread because someone needed to make one. But the street pricing is nonsense as I feared and most prices are over £500. Also we don't even know if Starfield is included either at many retailers. Plus many large retailers don't have stock. The RTX4070 and RTX4060 launches had plenty of stock.

I don't know what AMD has been doing since last December. There is simply no excuse for the UK to have so little stock,priced well above the supposed RRP. It clearly seems like Nvidia,etc think the UK is more important than AMD does.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How many months is being inversely proportionally to how well AMD marketing have the card look in review conclusions. If they overpriced to get a bit more from early adapters, the overall gross margin of that card for that generation goes down as reviews were bad, it sold well and eventually the dream not being a budget brand collided with the reality of a warehouse full of unsold stock!

The price will "go down" when they remove Starfield and have no games. Maybe the cards will actually hit their fake RRP.

But the problem,is what happens if Nvidia makes some price cuts and/or includes an expensive game with their cards too? Moreover,its much easier to get misprices on Nvidia cards because there is more stock in the UK.

This is the same nonsense AMD did to the UK during the Pandemic. Overprice their cards,have none at the fake RRP whereas Nvidia did.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Know the feeling mate.. Also the industry as a whole is not helping itself anymore with the silly games they keep playing on consumers of their products. It's not being jaded, just being realistic with the world we live in currently and the none stop shenanigans being played on consumers regarding anything now. Also the excitement factor with technology has been dead a while now with the never ending drip feeding of 10% to 30% if we are lucky and people call a 30% increase a huge increase now and people of our age know reality of that one, 30% would have got laughed at in the past and the prices would crash a few weeks later.

New world with new world issues and what people now class as acceptable uplift from generation to generation.. We had more fun in the past with technology and got real upgrades not this drip feeding and prices going threw the roof to add to the insult.

How many people would be buying the RX7800XT if it was at £480,with the Starfield code,at multiple retailers of their liking in the UK?

Compared to maybe one retailer hitting RRP and including the code,which will probably last all of today. Then they can charge well over £500.

I hope review sites follow street pricing of these cards.

How many months is being inversely proportionally to how well AMD marketing have made the card look in review conclusions. If they overpriced to get a bit more from early adapters, the overall gross margin of that card for that generation goes down as reviews were bad, it sold well and eventually the dream not being a budget brand collided with the reality of a warehouse full of unsold stock!

It's all Nvidia's fault for AMD low sales marketshare!! Not their inability to make a decent launch. Even if the launch is decent,they try all the nonsense pricing games and end up screwing up any goodwill they might have had in the first place.

9~10 months after the RX7900 series and they can't do make a proper launch with cards at RRP from multiple retailers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
People are also forgetting.

Chip shortages.
Shipping hikes.
Generally absolutely everything costing a boat load more than just three years ago.

These items are made in Asia where inflation is much lower. Shipping prices have collapsed compared to three years ago. Component prices have collapsed as China is not under lockdown anymore. GDDR6 prices are nearly 1/4 to 1/5 the prices of 2021. Only wafer prices have gone up but Nvidia and amd are selling less cutting edge silicon this generation for the same money.

This is why everything else such as nand and ram has collapsed in price.

Soldato
OP
No. Because they think GPUs are completely unattached to reality. The entitlement is real.

Yes Nvidia and AMD have totally detached themselves from reality and their entitlement for mining and pandemic pricing is real.

Also energy prices in Asia are fine because they don't give a **** about buying cheap oil and gas from Russia.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Then you were extremely lucky.

The reason people started moaning about GPU prices was because they were all being scalped, along with everything else no one really truly needed, but desperately wanted when they could not go outside.

AMD abandoned the UK market during the pandemic. They didn't even sell the reference models at rrp here. Nvidia did. I know
Even though I have showed you how a 7700XT is cheaper with inflation and all that is going on than a 970. The 980? RRP was $500.

Given Gibbo used to say "We try and keep the £ prices the same as $ ones because we have to add 20% VAT" (yes, I have the memory of an albino elephant) let's assume you paid £500 for one. As quite a few people did.

IUKoMwS.png

And there you have it. A 7800XT can be had for £479, on launch day.

Nvidia hiked up their % during mining yes. However, it was already at an all time high. They STILL have not reduced prices, due to Jen refusing to drop their profit margins after mining died. I would imagine that is because they simply don't care.

However. Like I said, let's just say the 7700XT is the 970. It has less VRAM than the 7800XT, so for me that is totally apples to apples with the 970 and 980, only the 7800XT is way faster than the 7700XT and thus 980 given that the 980 was barely any faster than the 970. You then need to factor in the 980Ti which was how much? about £600? and the Titan X which was £929 to the penny. Which is where, to me at least, the 7900XT and 7900XTX come in.

TBH? I don't care what Nvidia are doing and I don't even factor them into this because we are not talking about Nvidia. That is another thread, with at least £200 per card added on top. We are talking about AMD, and the 7700XT and 7800XT. It's not even like I am calling them amazing, or killer, or ETC. I am simply saying I think they are good cards. Not great ones, not brilliant, not cheap. However, I still think they are quite possibly the best thing to happen that you can actually buy on launch day since the 10 series.

Because let's face it, whether you like that or not? are facts.

Please, don't fall into the whining addict category. I know how easy that is. At some point you just need to accept what has happened over the past few years, how absolutely everything now costs way more, and just put up with it. It's life. Maybe I am bless by beginning my life in the early years of the 70s when we really had absolutely F all but a conker and a bit of string.

UK inflation is irrelevant. They are made in Asia where all the costs have gone down. Lots of other parts and items like phones and tvs have gone down. They use the same factories and nodes.

Don't get swayed by the tech industry billion usd marketing budgets.

This is how Nvidia tried the crap with doubling prices with the first Titan and then the same with Turing and speople on forums defended it due to "costs". Because rumour sites released some nonsense "leak" blaming 28nm costs.

Yet their margins went up a lot. So it's all mostly pr stuff because they know they have a captive market.

Soldato
OP
I could have bought ten by now dude. It's the first time a new launch has happened in ruddy ages (apart from the ludicrous 40 series, and even the 4090 sold out a few times) that I could do that.

Serious man, stop moaning. It's really not good for you.

I mean, I don't want you to be as positive as a American and wish every one a nice day and all but really.....

Only one retailer had two models of RX7800XT at RRP,and they are the only one bundling Starfield. The first one ran out of stock in 60~75 minutes. Almost all the other large UK retailers have no stock,no RX7800XT listings or are charging well above RRP. Many of them are on pre-order. So its a narrow choice of one or two retailers here.

I checked the US,Germany and some other markets. Far more stock at launch day at RRP or close to RRP from many more retailers and still have stock now. The UK seems to not be getting as much,which is why OcUK has it on pre-order. This happened during the Pandemic. AMD RX6700XT RRP was for the reference model. But AMD never bothered selling it in the UK,or making their own store ship it to the UK.

Nvidia,OTH,partnered with a local retailer,so enough people got the FE model.So without much effort I got an RTX3060TI FE for RRP,but I wanted an RX6700XT. I was not going to pay nearly £100 more.

So I am not sure WTF AMD is doing in the UK. But I can quite happily wait,because there are plenty of other things I can spend my money on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Again mate, they want the 6000 gone.

When Gibbo said prices will decrease in time? lol yeah, when the 6000 are gone. Simple as that.

Maybe they shipped a few, so people would miss them and cave and buy a 6800XT? IDK dude. No one does.

I saw the 7800XT for £479. Two models, one being significantly better than the other. You can't get a 6800XT for that, so if it continued they would have to drop the prices on those even lower.

TBH? and I said it before? these WILL drop in price. They absolutely will. The XTX has, and so has the XT. By quite a bleeding lot to be fair. Nvidia on the other hand? lol not 1p. Because as I explained above, they simply don't give a S. Not one, or even a little bit of one. We are no longer their priority, and they simply don't care.

But in all the other markets they have far more stock,and have the same RDNA2 stock issue. I even asked a friend in elsewhere to check and they had no issues. Basically one retailer in the UK had two models at RRP. Why can't they have launched with decent stock in the UK market from day one at lots of retailers? People might have preferences for different retailers too not just one or two retailers. I remember the RX5600XT/RX5700XT launches were pretty decent in terms of stock and availability.

Personally I am quite happy to play old games,reduce settings,etc so can stay with what I have for longer. But at times I think AMD is their worst enemies(at least in the UK).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gawd knows. I still see 6000 cards in stock. Like I said, I would strongly imagine they want them gone. I mean for all we know they might have to have agreed on a buy back if they don't sell or something? or fund further price drops.

You have to give them credit man. They ARE dropping prices. Like, the remnants of the 30 series were hardly cheap. Most of them were just RRP but people lost their minds because they could actually get one at RRP.

I have a feeling Nvidia got rid of them through prebuilt systems. I saw a lot of prebuilt systems and laptops over the last year,which were cheaper to buy than doing the build yourself.

AMD doesn't appear to have as strong OEM connections,so it might they have a higher percentage of stock in the retail market. Which is a shame really.

Back
Top Bottom