*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

Associate
i finally decided it was time to stop dicking around against the A.I and start racing, so last weekend I did my first online race. It's much more entertaining. I'm glad I worked on my pace first, but I have my class C licenses in open wheel and sports cars, and I've won a couple 1850~'ish SOF races in the ferrari 296, and it's much much more fun than getting demoed by the A.I and their impossible corner speeds

The only problem is aggressive spanish drivers. I'm not biased in anyway, I've never even meet a south american. But everytime someone divebombs me just to get their nose into my backbumper (god this is so ******* annoying) and ends my race, it's always a "diego alvarez" or "esteban gonzales". If they spin in lap 1, they're so desperate to maintain position that they just cut back into the racing line and hope everyone slams their brakes and lets them in, it's ****** up. It's so frustrating to spend a half hour in a meaningless 1750 race and have it ended because there's a guy on the crest of a blind hill sitting on the racing line trying to spin himself back into orientation. Always spanish. Always.

But it is great fun when you don't get crashed out. As long as your in the front half, haha. Racing gives this nice feeling of comradery and teamwork, even though you want them to lose the car and go off the track lol. But when there's like 2 laps left, and 3rd place is a tiny blip in your rearview, and first place is a corner ahead, and your tires aren't completely gone, it's basically like a 5 minute satisfying victory lap.

Or when you qualify first, and then disappear off into the distance - you feel like the final boss of the race. Like they have nothing to offer your pace and clean air. It's very nice. Very satisfying. You literally never see a car after the first lap, it's like you're the only one on the track. The whole race is a shrine to your dominance lol

Or sitting behind a guy for a lap and watching him wilt and choke and burn up his tires. Love it. Man, I don't know why people try to go "faster". You're going as fast as your skill level/pace will let you go. I think people lose the back so much under pressure because they start trying to artificially make pace by braking later or lighter and giving more throttle - forgetting that they've already finalized their safe tolerances to the best of their current abilities in all those practice laps. I've been guilty of this myself a couple times. The best way to try and find speed(in a race I mean - practice you can try things) is to just concentrate on not making mistakes. The guy behind you might just be having a really good half lap, or he might just be faster, and if he is, trying to hold off a faster car if it's not a position battle near the end is just going to hurt you in the longrun, if you don't outright crash as he gets impatient. Especially as he has the draft too. IDK I'm just running on about nothing now

Associate
also as for ams2 vs iracing, it's all preference, but I used to play ams2 and it was great fun, but when I did a test drive on iracing, I knew I was switching - the cars just feel more substantial, even though the graphics and forcefeed back, if anything, are more primitive? Though it depends a lot on the car's creation date. Now when I log onto AMS2, it feels... idk, idk. It's all preference.

The main thing is that once you decide you want to start competing, there is no contest. It's not even a fight then. But for messing around with all makes and eras and types of cars, yea, AMS2 is quite a game.

AC is still great too. I keep forgetting AC2 is about to hit. There should be more hype for this. It's the biggest simracing property, and proper titles are few and far between. Like in the last 3-4 years, it's just been the LMP rfactor spin-off and that terrible EA rally game.

Associate
I want to vent and I'm banned from the iracing forums, so like - it's kind of annoying how aggressive people are. They have the best system possible with the nazi safety rating requirements to move up, but at the end of the day, unless there's the danger of death, people are going to push

So I'm at misano in the gt4's, which I admit I suck at, in the aston, literally the 2nd time touching the car, and it's a 2300 SOF race compounding my pace issues. I manage to scrap up to 8th out of 30, after qualifying 13th or something poor, and it's the 2nd last lap, and some hero who (upon watching the replay I found out) already rear ended a guy and went off on the first lap - is in recovery mode and coming up on me fast. I had no intention of battling him, he qualified like 4th or something and was clearly faster, but he caught me on that awkward back straight with the turns, and I don't want to give the guy 3 seconds behind him a free spot too, so I just drove like normal until we got to the braking point, at which point, super aggressive hero rear ends me and ends my race. 40 minutes of my life gone, safety rating, irating, just so he could pass someone he was going to pass easily like maybe 2 seconds earlier. I would have got off the racing line, if it wasn't that high speed section. I figured he could wait until we slowed down in like 3 seconds, there was no one ahead of us for like 4 seconds so i don't think he was going to catch anyone else anyways as we were 15 seconds from the last lap

And for the record, I don't brake early or hard at that section, it was one of the sections I was making time up when I passed people earlier in the race, he just has the draft and I had a terrible exit going onto the whole straight section so of course he's going to catch me. I mean he was lapping half a second faster than me, he's obviously faster, but I can't start wiggling around on high speed turns.

IDK I don't want to write a book over some meaningless e-race but ****, there's no need to tailgate at that point, and I'm the 3rd guy he rear ended that race. 2 of them causing consequence. The higher rating I go, people get faster, but they get more entitled.

I had a guy yesterday divebomb me on lap 1, in traffic, from like 2 car lengths back, and all his divebomb did was hook my back end with his nose and end my race. Since the divebomb was from way, way too far back to actually stake a claim to the corner, I guess the only intent was to... hope I'm watching him go for it and just give him the spot? Like it's literally just begging for the spot. It's not an aggressive move at that point - it's just a "please mister, let me have this, just move out of the way so I can enter the turn first", which is crazy, since he qualified behind me, and all of us were in the starting traffic lap, so there was no kind of pace drama - it's just an illegal move. Well actually, that one worked, because once he hooked my rear he was able to bunpgrind his nose along my spinning side to take the spot anyways while I spun and took all the damage. And since I'm not going to cut a replay and file a protest, I never do, it won't give me my time back, he completely got away with it

Associate
I guess you just have to protest. Even if it's just incompetence, a serial numpty will get noticed and reprimanded. But that donut rear ending 3 people in one race definitely needed protesting.

Back
Top Bottom