Oculus Go - Oculus unveils $199 stand-alone VR headset "Oculus Go"

Soldato
Mine arrives tomorrow. I have a Rift and PSVR, so can post my own comparison of the screen quality if you're interested after I've given it a go.

I really didn't have any need to buy one apart from wanting a new toy really, though I guess I can now hassle people about VR outside of my own home ;)

Consider me subscribed! :D

Not really a hard decision for me to wait to be honest - far too much other stuff on the table - but really interested to hear what you think.

Associate
@FlukeRogi @pcfarrar Looking forward to both of your hands on reviews, I’m very sceptical, yet intrigued

Will post more later, as I'm giving it a full charge atm (it arrived in the box at about 33%), and I want to time it myself to see how much I get out of it.

But, initial impression - better image quality than Rift and PSVR. Didn't see any godrays or mura effect. The only thing where the Rift would win screen wise is black levels. Clarity is fantastic though. SDE still evident, better than Rift, not as good as PSVR (but not having the very noticeable PSVR mura effect is a big win).

Using the extra spacer for glasses, there's no discomfort and the FoV seem same as the Rift to me. Without the spacer, you get slightly more FoV, but the edges of the screen are more apparent, though my glasses were pushed onto my face more. No issue width wise fitting my glasses unlike the Rift.

It could do with a rigid strap. I find the back of the headband just slips against my hair a bit too much, and you lose support. Probably not a problem if you're bald. The strap is easily removable though, so it won't surprise me if someone out there makes a replacement.

Audio works surprisingly well. It's clearly stereo, is even slightly spacial in places, and is adequate for playing casual games. There's no bass though - if you are going to use this as a media player, you'll want your own headphones.

All in all, initial impressions are very positive. If you want a mobile VR headset, for $199/$249, there's not really a lot to complain about. Ok, that was more than I was going to say ;) Any questions though, drop a comment below.

edit - one thing (and I need to double check on this) but I didn't notice any partial binocular overlap like with the Rift. Hmmm, another good point there if that's the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd guess it'll be fine for playing movies but I'm not sure it'll be of much use for anything beyond that? At £200-250 you're not that far off PlaystationVR or a Windows Mixed Reality Headset assuming you already have a PS4 or reasonably spec'd PC.

It's cheap but I'm not sure it's cheap enough to tempt most folks away from the alternatives unless you only want to watch videos.

Still keen to know what everyone's thoughts are when they get their hands on theirs though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine turned up just after 4pm, had a little play but battery was <20% so had it on charge, did try a couple of things though, certainly clearer than the Gear VR using my current S7 Edge, less SDE than my Vive (non pro), resolution is noticeably but still a long way off being perfect. Audio is surprisingly good considering, but as said above headphones for movies will be much better.

Image quality around the sweet spot I felt was great, but I do see some of the mura effect around the edges, specially when I look around with my eyes rather than my head.

Associate
@FlukeRogi thanks for the 1st impressions fluke, I’m curious to what’s its like to watch sport and movies. But as @silvagti as said, at £199 we’re talking almost WMR prices. The more I read the more I’m intrigued but it does seem a somewhat expensive toy that is doesn’t quite tick all the boxes, as a gaming it’s none starter and as a media player it may not even last the duration of a long film such as ‘The Green Mile’

Associate
Mine turned up just after 4pm, had a little play but battery was <20% so had it on charge, did try a couple of things though, certainly clearer than the Gear VR using my current S7 Edge, less SDE than my Vive (non pro), resolution is noticeably but still a long way off being perfect. Audio is surprisingly good considering, but as said above headphones for movies will be much better.

Image quality around the sweet spot I felt was great, but I do see some of the mura effect around the edges, specially when I look around with my eyes rather than my head.
Would you be happy with it as media player Rather than a large TV? (For when there’s only you in the room)

Soldato
As much as I love VR there's no way I'd ever want to watch a movie on any of the current headsets. The resolution just isn't high enough yet to produce a clear image and come even close to matching a decent television.

Soldato
Would you be happy with it as media player Rather than a large TV? (For when there’s only you in the room)

As a media player, its perfectly fine, the only limiting factor is the battery life at ~2.5 hours. Just watched an episode of rick and morty on netflix and it was perfectly watching and the resolution was more than acceptable. Obviously not even remotely close as a 4k TV or even a 1440p monitor but if your out and about or on a train/bus/plane its good enough.

Associate
As a media player, its perfectly fine, the only limiting factor is the battery life at ~2.5 hours. Just watched an episode of rick and morty on netflix and it was perfectly watching and the resolution was more than acceptable. Obviously not even remotely close as a 4k TV or even a 1440p monitor but if your out and about or on a train/bus/plane its good enough.
I couldn’t wear this thing ‘out and about’ not a chance! I’m thinking more about a personal media player for at home, watching a film in bed or if the the Mrs is watching TV I can sit in the sameness room and watch football etc.. i currently do the later with my Rift, but a wireless solution with better resolution is appealing

Associate
Does the higher mem version offer any benefit or performance over simply having more storage? ie, is there any reason at all to get the 64gb version if swapping files / movies / games etc is not an issue for you?

Soldato
The only difference is the increased storage space.

On another note, I watched Terminator 2 in 3D last night on it without headphones and it was perfectly watchable, film image quality was pretty much on par with watching a 720p movie on a 4k screen. More than watchable imho.

Soldato
Sounds interesting. Seems to be performing as much as I expected.

Just a heads up that Big Screen has remote PC desktop functionality (https://bigscreenvr.com/remotedesktop/) and is free, and if you have Virtual Desktop as well then support is coming for that as well.

If you've not set it up already there's a Plex app as well for more streamlined experience watching your local video content.

Soldato
So basically it sounds like it's designed for for watching short 3D movies in private....

...and since it's all tracked via Facebook Zuckerberg knows what kind of movies you're into............ :D

Last edited:
Associate
@FlukeRogi thanks for the 1st impressions fluke, I’m curious to what’s its like to watch sport and movies. But as @silvagti as said, at £199 we’re talking almost WMR prices. The more I read the more I’m intrigued but it does seem a somewhat expensive toy that is doesn’t quite tick all the boxes, as a gaming it’s none starter and as a media player it may not even last the duration of a long film such as ‘The Green Mile’
For me, it's still not good enough for watching movies (others have a different opinion), but when I try to do anything passive in VR like watch a film, I simply can't ignore the SDE. It is better than the Rift in that regard, but it needs to be a lot better for me personally.

Played with it for a good few hours now and must say that the godrays are still there, but they're heavily reduced compared to Rift (I didn't notice them the first time I used it).

However, I've just spent an hour in my back yard with a virtual fishing rod in one hand and a real beer in the other. What a wondrous time we live in :D

Soldato
So you are enjoying the GO Fluke? What are games like on it? It sounds like it's a completely static system, that you can't move at all.

Back
Top Bottom