Oculus Go - Oculus unveils $199 stand-alone VR headset "Oculus Go"

Associate
So you are enjoying the GO Fluke? What are games like on it? It sounds like it's a completely static system, that you can't move at all.
I'd call it casual VR, but some of the stuff on it is actually quite impressive considering the limited hardware. Dead and Buried for example manages to pull off a really decent (actually, quite impressive imo) version on what is basically mobile phone hardware.

As for static - well, it's like the old DK1 in that regard. No, you can't physically lean or walk about, but the games seems designed around that limitation. It does make me look forward to seeing what Santa Cruz will be able to do though. But yeah, I'm enjoying playing about with it.

Soldato
The more reviews I read/watch the more I really want one of these, but the difficulty is getting the purchase past my wife :eek:
I'm seriously thinking of a big ebay selling splurge to get some extra funds to buy one. Or I could just go order it anyway... :D

Soldato
The more reviews I read/watch the more I really want one of these, but the difficulty is getting the purchase past my wife :eek:
I'm seriously thinking of a big ebay selling splurge to get some extra funds to buy one. Or I could just go order it anyway... :D
Go on do it shes not the boss of you.:D
Ordered mine this morning, how long is delivery?

Soldato
I only really want one for watching Netflix and other videos in bed or while traveling. The fact it also plays VR games is a bonus. I'm under no illusions that this is a Rift replacement (though the lenses and screens give a glimpse of what might be coming for Rift in the future). I see it as complimentary, and also a great way to introduce people to the concept of VR.

My biggest wish is that Oculus implement cross-buy so if you buy the Rift version you get the Go version for free (or vice-versa).

Soldato
Have a VR headset, don't need a second one.

That's the thing which is annoying me. I don't really want to have more than just the one VR headset which can work with all my devices.

The way things are going I'll have to buy one for my phone, one for my PlayStation, one for my computer and one for my iPad/Macbook......!

Hopefully we'll start seeing more open standards in the near future

Soldato
I tried a friend's Go yesterday and the screen is a big improvement on the original Rift, but the 60Hz refresh rate in a lot of titles completely kills it for me because I'm really sensitive to flicker :(

He showed me one game that ran at 72Hz and it was a lot better, but not perfect (for me).

Associate
I have a Rift and a Gear VR, I'd consider a Go for watching in bed so the other half doesn't complain about the light when she's trying to go to sleep lol taking the phone out and putting it into the Gear constantly put me off.

Can you watch YouTube, Twitch, and .mp4 movies on the Go? Does it allow you to adjust the screen in the app, i.e. so you can lay down on your back but still see the screen in front of you?

Soldato
I have a Rift and a Gear VR, I'd consider a Go for watching in bed so the other half doesn't complain about the light when she's trying to go to sleep lol taking the phone out and putting it into the Gear constantly put me off.

Can you watch YouTube, Twitch, and .mp4 movies on the Go? Does it allow you to adjust the screen in the app, i.e. so you can lay down on your back but still see the screen in front of you?
Yes to all of the above. I was streaming a film from my nas drive while sat in a virtual cinema, not sure about the laying down bit though, will try tonight and let you know.

Associate
I bought an anker power bank for mine to use whilst streaming in bed. You can get the small round ones and just velcro tie them on to the strap.

Associate
How come there are no comparisons with the VIVE focus considering the later is already out in the east?
There's the odd unboxing video etc, but I'd guess most people won't want to import an expensive mobile headset that can only be used via a storefront that's in Chinese. I'm sure there will be plenty of comparisons once it hits the western market.

Back
Top Bottom