Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables no longer available

Soldato
It's already there and being ignored by Oculus. Has now been confirmed by support to somebody in need that no more are being produced. Can but hope a third party picks up the slack. Utterly disgusted by this myself, very underhand.

What company keeps making parts for products they no longer produce? Unless those parts are been used in another product, it has always been third parties who have filled those voids. The problem here is that there aren't any third parties making cables for the Rift because it's probably not worthwhile.

Soldato
Had an outrageous response from Oculus, which boils down to 'buy a Rift S'!

"Since your product is out of warranty, we won’t be able to provide a replacement cable. As Oculus Rift is no longer a product in market, we invite you to check out the current available Oculus products we have at oculus.com.

We understand your concern and truly appreciate your continued support to Oculus over the last few years. We hope that you will find interest in our new line of Oculus products so you can continue to enjoy VR."

I have a Rift, a Go, and a Quest. I've invested heavily in the Oculus ecosystem, and bought loads of games off the Oculus store, for all three devices. Seems like customer loyalty counts for nothing.

To say I'm disappointed is to put it mildly. I was thinking about getting a Rift S at some point, but I'm seriously reconsidering now.

It was a badly worded email. The guy who wrote it should be brought away to do some customer care programs.

But, I just want to pick up on one point, the customer loyalty. Seriously, what company out there gives a rats about any of their customers once the warranty expires? And most of them don't seem to give a damn even when the product is in warranty.

None of the big companies out there deserve your loyalty. Microsoft? AMD? Intel? Nvidia? Asus? Gigabyte? Apple? MSI? EVGA? list could go on and on and they are all as bad as each other. Buy the product that works best for you but don't expect jack after the warranty runs out.

You might be lucky with the customer support from any company. You might get a person who will go the extra mile to see you are looked after. But, as in your case, you might get a person who doesn't care and is just going through the motions.

Loyalty means nothing. They only care about the bottom line, once you go from been a customer to been somebody who might cost them money(or time or effort) they don't care.

Soldato
What company keeps making parts for products they no longer produce? Unless those parts are been used in another product, it has always been third parties who have filled those voids. The problem here is that there aren't any third parties making cables for the Rift because it's probably not worthwhile.

There's a few, but you're not wrong, still stinks though, especially this soon after sales of CV1 stopped.

Associate
I think Oculus (and HTC) not publishing hard sales figures would scare off any third parties making something potentially expensive like a certified 5m HDMI+USB cable. If they don't know the size of their potential market, why bother?

Soldato
I think Oculus (and HTC) not publishing hard sales figures would scare off any third parties making something potentially expensive like a certified 5m HDMI+USB cable. If they don't know the size of their potential market, why bother?

Even if Oculus sold a million headsets, it's probably not worth it for a third party. How many will be repaired under warranty? how many people will even bother when the warranty runs out? And you make a good point about the cable, it would be expensive. You would nearly be better off buying a second hand Rift, they are so cheap now.

Soldato
OP
This doesn't affect me but a consideration for some people is that their IPD means a Rift S isn't suitable. So if they have to junk their Rift as the cable is bad and no replacements are available they'll have to go to a non-Oculus headset, with all the hassle and expense - especially as they'll have to go through hoops to get their Oculus library working on other brands.

Soldato
I got a replacement cable from Oculus back in June after leaving it for months because I was worried this may happen :( Never been a fan of expensive proprietry cables and it looks like Index could end up with a similar situation.
As bulky as the Vive 3in1 cable was, at least it should be easily to sort your own out with the standard connections.

I still have the old Oculus cable which is damaged/broken on the usb connection, I wonder if it's possible to cut and manually add a new usb end to it...

Soldato
I got a replacement cable from Oculus back in June after leaving it for months because I was worried this may happen :( Never been a fan of expensive proprietry cables and it looks like Index could end up with a similar situation.
As bulky as the Vive 3in1 cable was, at least it should be easily to sort your own out with the standard connections.

I still have the old Oculus cable which is damaged/broken on the usb connection, I wonder if it's possible to cut and manually add a new usb end to it...

Yes it is

Soldato

Very few, but vehicle and aircraft manufacturers have to enough spare parts to support model X for five years after they stop selling them.

To offer zero support for out of warranty items the moment they stop selling them is unpardonable.

The gaming community should shun Rift products going forward.

Associate
If it were me, I'd be looking into surgery and try soldering a new cable onto some of the wiring from the propriety connector (whilst butchering HDMI USB extension cables). Of course, it does depend on where the problem lies and even then getting it secure and shielded may be problematic. Would only try as a last resort, and may be more cost effective to keep an eye on ebay for a semi-working Rift with a supplied cable. I saw one for a £100 the other day, but it had a damaged display.

Soldato
OP
More and more people on Reddit are posting that they'e affected by this. I'm hoping the various VR youtube content creators will start making videos to increase awareness and put pressure on Oculus.

Soldato
It does seem that like with the speaker failure, this is more a question of when than if just due to design and normal use... eventually it will most likely fail, question is if it lasts you one year or ten.

I noticed mine has a bit of a twist in it by where it joins the headset strap, despite me being quite careful with it. I reckon if it's going to fail that'll be where.

It's definitely a shame that oculus has stopped spare parts support for a headset they were still actively selling only a few months ago... that does make me seriously question whether I would give them my money again for their next headset.

For now though, I will continue to enjoy my rift while I wait for a compelling new HMD to take my money away!

Soldato
OP
I've been searching all week for a replacement cable on Ebay. A second hand one came up for £60 but was gone before I could buy it. Since then, nothing.

Soldato
OP
I'm happy to report that Oculus had a change of heart and are sending me a free cable!

So I'm dead chuffed :D, though I feel sorry for those who can't get one. :(

Back
Top Bottom