Oculus Rift Dev ownership - My thoughts

Permabanned
A bit of background, I'm a 42 year old computer professional who has been working in IT for almost all my adult life. I've also been a gamer virtually from ground zero (ie Pong in the arcade) and I have spent some serious coin on my gaming addiction, be it home or arcade. A Jap import of every major console on release and favourite JAMMA arcade boards via super gun have been had with a few notable omissions (3DO etc.) I have had early exposure to severe MMO addiction with Ultima Online over dial up that culminated with having a near family intervention over WOW and SWG (pre NG) I kid but it wasnt far off.

I think however I may have just seen the dawn of a new era of gaming, and nothing is ever going to be the same again. We will look back on the days of 3d monitors and eyefinity/nv surround like it was a quaint aside to the real experience and the likes of Kinect will play second fiddle as an augment or facilitator for VR, but no more.

I dont know quite what I was expecting, I had fantasies of the Lawnmower man style immersion but didnt think for one minute it would be as good as that, I've been taken in by this VR false dawn before many times, iGlasses etc. The 'reality' was not what I expected, at all, it was so much better and its where the true next gen gaming experience lies. The first demo I fired up was an Unreal Engine rollercoaster simulator,followed by every demo and game patch available for it. To say was floored was an understatement. Here are a few things about the Oculus Rift you will never get unless you try it for real. Videos DO NOT in any way prepare you for it, or even give you the slightest inkling as to what to expect. First the high points, of which there are many, followed by the low points of which there are fundamentally few and by the final version will be almost zero

1. Scale: Objects can seem extremely tiny or as is more often the case can seem unimaginably huge. When looking at the sides of the turrets of the castle (Rollercoaster demo,Unreal engine 3) on the way up you can tell how 'high' you are as easily as you could if you were really doing it and the level of immersion from being able to look over your shoulder gives you the shivers. Then there's the vertigo which I'm a sufferer from so my reaction may be a little more than most, but when I got to the top of that castle and peeped over the side of the car and looked down, my stomach turned over. It literally felt like I was two hundred feet up in the air next to a castle that I could reach out and touch that a single brick of was the size of my head.:eek: Follwed up by the blue marble demo and Titans of space really nailed the scale of planets thing till you feel like you're head is going to pop. How you get that across from a screenshot? I dont know, its a marketing challenge for sure. On screen it looks like nothing special, on the headset its like powering into the sun in Hotblack Desiato's stuntship I **** you not.

if anyone's interested post your thoughts or questions and I'll continue. You should be, you'll all have one when it's released I guarantee it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
My OR developer status isnt astroturfing by the way, I paid for my dev kit out of my own pocket because I believe in it and want to get in on the ground floor on the indie dev scene

Permabanned
OP
The hydra in the context of an Oculus augment takes it to a whole new level. In the tuscany demo for instance it becomes a virtual pair of hands for interactivity with your environment that adds another dimension to the experience. I giggled with glee as I bounced a basketball hand to hand then slam dunked it into the fireplace, hurled books around the room and rearranged the furniture with the ease you would in real life. It can also be your head in 3d space's positional sensor completing the x y and z tracking.if you dangle it round your neck like a tie (bear with me here) then your head position leaning forwards backwards up down to the left and right is tracked. It's used effectively in the Heli Hell demo where you can freely move around in a fully rendered 3d cockpit of (unsurprisingly) a helicopter. Beware though, if you cant fly it be prepared to lose your lunch with nausea. Using the rift is akin to getting your sea legs, its murder at first but gets easier with experience. I've only just received my steam code for Portal 2 so I'll be talking about that tomorrow, I believe its the most complete Hydra experience using all of its functionality. But I have played Half Life 2, City 17 has never seemed such a real and dangerous place.

Last edited:
Associate
You can look over you shoulder....your kidding me right....sounds like a great experience especially if its true to life is the visual sense....look forward to trying it out soon lol

Permabanned
OP
You can look at the world in 360 degrees in all directions and with the hydra in the X,Y and Z axis.

I'm having a demo night thursday for selected buddies if you're up for it Ste.

Don
I've been playing with my mate's OR and I have to say - resolution issues aside - this is the future of gaming. The level of immersion is unbelievable.
I played the first 30 mins of HL2 with it and some UT deathmatch. Incredible.
Add in some proper 5.1 headphones and it blows your mind.

This is the future for sure.

Associate
I would be interested to see if it would be useful for working too, will probably work out much cheaper having vr glasses with a virtual office containing a 3x2 grid of 40" screens showing your office work (if your work needs lots of screen space) instead of having to actually invest in 6 40" screens.

Permabanned
OP
Head says wait for the final release, but my geek heart says if you can cope with the res get one now, development is on fire right now and you'll be seeing it from the inception

Permabanned
OP
Only downside is the resolution, if you can cope with that, go for it. Personally the rollercoaster demo makes it look worse than it actually is. I changed the variables whacking up the aniso, aa other tweaks and it looked a hundred times clearer. To be sure it would be perfect at 1080p and above, but hey you cant have one yet and im sure an enterprising modder will get us that down the line, theres too many alpha geeks dev'ing for it not to happen

Permabanned
OP
Rilot did you say you got unreal tournament working? Have you got any links? I could use that on my demo night. COuld you expand more on your experience?

Soldato
The tech looks great, but I'd have issues with it purely because it is stuck to my face :D I multi task when I'm gaming, whether that is having the TV/music on, using a tablet or more usually just interacting with other people in the house. I just can't see me ever wearing one of them for gaming and cutting off from the real world like that? How do you find it?

Permabanned
OP
I find myself having trouble readjusting to the real world afterwards and as you say the disconnect from the real world is disconcerting. I was playing Zombies on the holodeck round at my friends and he asked me did I want a beer and put his hand on my shoulder just as a zombie ran at me, I screamed so loud I woke the kids up.

Permabanned
OP
I think it might help to have a stereo webcam in the visor with a microphone and button to switch you back in the room so to speak

Back
Top Bottom