Oculus Rift Dev ownership - My thoughts

Associate
Hey thread revival!

I did get one in the end as well, it's a great experience!

It's not the finished product though, low resolution and can make you queasy. You also need to factor in the research and setup time for each game, because they all vary.

so my advice to anyone looking into it is this - it depends what ~£250 and a whole lot of research time is to you. If you can afford it (and the subsequent consumer version when it drops, because you will be wanting that as well) then get yourself over to the OculusVR and MTBS forums and do some prelim research before getting yourself on the wait list.

Otherwise wait, it shouldn't be too much longer now and you can have the finished article.

Permabanned
I've been looking forward to the oculus rift since i saw the first videos about it and hearing that carmack was interested in VR made me get even more excited that it might actually materialize and become available. Rather than just some overpriced unavailable toy.

Associate
I got one and have since sold it, great fun but not quite there yet cant wait for the retail version though, like said above it depends what the £250 means to you, if you can easily afford it for a tech toy go ahead and have great fun, but expect to be tinkering with configs and such.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
There was a new 1080p prototype shown off at CES which looks very impressive and a big improvement over the original dev kit.

If you want the rift then it might be worth waiting to see if they release this one as a dev kit v2 or something.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/09/the-oculus-rift-crystal-cove-prototype-is-2014s-best-of-c/

It does look pretty sweet, I can't wait for the final version to come out! There are rumours that they have a version in development that is even better than Crystal Cove :D

Associate
I have a dev kit and its a fantastic experience, although the first few times I did have some motion sickness which made me take it off.
One of the best experiences I've have with it was flying an Apache gunship using Outerra through the Himalayas, then switched to the mig jet and the sensation was incredible.

I've had some trouble getting games to work properly but usually figure it out eventually.

The only bad point is mine has a couple of dead pixels just off of centre which kinda detracts from the experience. I would without hesitation buy this when it comes to retail and in higher res.

Back
Top Bottom