Oculus Rift with glasses??

Soldato
I've been quite patient waiting for the right time tojump into VR, and a friend is loaning me his Rift. Personally waiting for the next round to incorporate Virtual Link. I managed ok with the DK2 with my glasses, but it was far from comfortable. Just going to see how I get on later.

Associate
Didn't spot it being mentioned, but one issue with the rift and glasses is the fogging issue.

This tends to happen as your face is quite "humid" and with the rift being cool at first and your glasses being cool the humidity condenses onto the lens of your glasses.

It's easy to fix. For 5 minutes before gaming, place your headset and glasses in a warm location, such as near a radiator. Just be careful not to drastically heat the rift.

Personally as I have a top mounted GPU radiator the first thing I do when I'm about to start gaming is to place the Rift and my glasses on the top of the PC and run "Furmark". 3-5 minutes later both rift and glasses are toasty warm in the 40-45*C airflow and once put on there is minimum to no fogging.

If minor fogging does occur, pulling the headset forward to allow air to enter can help. This can be aided further by placing a fan so that when you pull the rift forward away from the face air flow can clear the humidity.

Associate
I'd suggest caution with heating your glasses too much...if you have any anti-reflection coatings on them then you run the risk of them crazing.

Soldato
Fogging with the Rift is easily fixed just by loading the Oculus client about 10 mins before you want to use it. While the client is open the headset is receiving power and warms up. After about 10 mins it's warm enough not to fog.

Associate
On the glasses fogging issue, I tried your technique. It doesn't work.

I think the confusion is that I'm not talking about the rift fogging up, but my glasses. So it doesn't matter how warm the rift is, if my glasses are cold the humidity generated inside the HMD condenses on the glasses.

Pre-Warming the glasses using the video card exhaust, does however work.

I also now prewarm the rift, just by putting a bit of paper over the light sensor. This also has the effect of pre-loading the Oculus Home client, making launching games faster.

Soldato
The best thing to do is get prescription lenses for the Rift, as they also benefit from the headset warming up. It also makes getting the headset on and off much more convenient, plus it's safer as there's no danger of the rift or glasses lenses getting scratched. I couldn't go back to wearing glasses in my rift.

The Oculus Go on the other hand is designed for glasses and I have no problems wearing the Go with glasses.

Associate
I'd probably go for contacts rather than the lens inserts. They are very expensive. Contacts are pretty cheap in comparison

Soldato
I find with the CV1 I have to wear contacts or glasses, with the GO I don`t require either and its really sharp.

Its a shame the CV1 doesnt have some sort of focus adjustment.

Associate
The best thing to do is get prescription lenses for the Rift, as they also benefit from the headset warming up. It also makes getting the headset on and off much more convenient, plus it's safer as there's no danger of the rift or glasses lenses getting scratched. I couldn't go back to wearing glasses in my rift.

The Oculus Go on the other hand is designed for glasses and I have no problems wearing the Go with glasses.

The cheap 3d printed lens inserts are great, I think it cost me about 30 pounds all in. I struggle wearing contacts which is made even worse inside the rift as I often forget to blink!!!

Back
Top Bottom