OCZ Petrol 64GB SSD

Associate
Hi guys,

I've gone for a SSD. Was aiming for 60gb but this one is cheap and has 64gb so looks like a good choice.

If you guys were looking for a drive about the 60gb mark, would this be the one you pick?

Pairing it with a z68 mobo.

Associate
No. It's a junk drive. It has terrible read/write speeds. The OCZ Agility 3 or Corsair Force Series 3 would be a better pick if you're on a tight budget.

Soldato
It seems you are right. Seems OCZ are not only slow but unreliable too.

Don't jump to any conclusions, SSD's have been more than fast enough to clear the bottleneck for years now. You would struggle to notice any difference in home usage between a Petrol and an SSD costing significantly more (including RAIDed SSDs with more than double the benchmark speeds).
I've not seen any reliability issues with the Petrol (Indilinx) based drives to date, I think you'd be fine.

No sense paying any more than you absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't jump to any conclusions, SSD's have been more than fast enough to clear the bottleneck for years now. You would struggle to notice any difference in home usage between a Petrol and an SSD costing significantly more (including RAIDed SSDs with more than double the benchmark speeds).
There is barely any difference in price between the Petrol and the other two drives I mentioned, yet a dramatic difference in performance. Even though the access times of the Petrol - through virtue of being an SSD - are much better than HDDs, the read/write speeds are very slow; I have a 3TB Seagate on a SATA2 port that posts better speeds.

I really cannot understand how you can recommend the OCZ Petrol to the OP when for just £2 more you can have a drive that offers up to 5x the performance. That's really bad advice.

Soldato
There is barely any difference in price between the Petrol and the other two drives I mentioned, yet a dramatic difference in performance. Even though the access times of the Petrol - through virtue of being an SSD - are much better than HDDs, the read/write speeds are very slow; I have a 3TB Seagate on a SATA2 port that posts better speeds.

I really cannot understand how you can recommend the OCZ Petrol to the OP when for just £2 more you can have a drive that offers up to 5x the performance. That's really bad advice.

My point was that the performance doesn't matter. Even if the Agility was actually 5 times quicker (it isn't, outside of synthetic situations) you wouldn't notice any difference between the two drives. It's like trying to tell the difference between a graphics card pushing a game at 500FPS vs one that does 1000FPS.

When dealing with small files, both drives will be imperceptably quick on home workloads. When dealing with large compressed files (Game textures, Videos, Music, Photos) the Agility is practically the same speed as the Petrol (check out AS-SSD benches if you want proof)

For £2 you may as well upgrade (I didn't see the TWO offer), but for the more usual 15-20% premium there's no point. I'd expect the petrol to go on offer shortly and drop significantly below £1/GB.

Caporegime
if your using is aside a hdd for caching then it will be fine if you want it as your os drive and a hdd for storage id go for a 120gb ssd

and you want one that uses synchronous nand not poorer asynchronous nand like the agility,

crucial m4,corsair gt series and vertex 3 all use superior synchronous nand memory

Back
Top Bottom