odd ebay issue as a buyer

Soldato
just after advice if anyone has been on either end of a similar issue.

So things started easy as I have purchased and recived a board game (Gloomhaven) from eBay and the item was delivered and I am very happy with it.

I have just had an email from the seller saying that the payment has been reversed due to PayPal issues and I will be getting a refund so can I please pay the auction amount to his other PayPal account? my initial reaction was an immediate no as this seems like a scam but I have now had an update on PayPal saying I have been issued with the refund. I have messaged the seller asking if he can update his eBay details as I don't feel comfortable paying outside of eBay but I'm not sure if you can do this post auction.

I try to be an honest person so I have no issue paying for the item (even at the currently inflated eBay prices) both because I wanted the item and he has delivered on his end but I am not willing to pay unless I am confident I will not have any comeback on myself later.

I've had eBay issues in the past but this one is new to me so anyone with advice I would be grateful.

Man of Honour
You pay his other account. He doesn't send the item. You raise a PayPal case. He proves you were refunded on the PayPal account linked to the eBay sale.

Too risky.

Soldato
Classic scam tactic. Nope.
What's the scam exactly? The OP already has the item and I assume as it's a board game it's hardly likely to break down at some point? He also has had the refund appear back in his PayPal account?
Is it possible he pays again and then the seller reverses the refund somehow, so the op ends up paying twice.

Soldato
Not yet as I have the item I don't think I should be doing all the running around on this one, if I get time tomorrow ill see what I can manage.
Sending an email is hardly 'running round' and surely puts your mind at rest. Unless you have some physical disability, sending off an email should take about 2 minutes of our time.

Soldato
OP
jesus it looks like its about 190 quid on amazon....for a board game?! wtactualf
look into Kingdom Death Monster you can easily spend £600+ for it, sure its around £1000 for the full collection, the games I'm playing are not something you find in toys r us but Gloomhaven is very much on the expensive end of the hobby.

Congratulations on the game. My gf wants it. It was 100 on launch if I remember!
I paid £140 which is RRP once it hits retail (wave 2 is already completely sold out) so I was happy with it given its selling for £200 at the moment, it was £100 for the kick-starter but I don't know how much postage was.

Why not put his email address into your spam list and get on with enjoying your board game?
As I said I don't mind paying I just don't want to pay his new account they get an eBay request for paying the auction too, I know they cant and wont make me pay but its more hassle then its worth.

I think i would only pay back into the first account. Tell him to get it sorted and then pay again but only if the refund shows in your PayPal account.
Pretty much my plan, if he can update so I pay to his new account through the auction on eBay I will do but I'm not doing any direct transactions just in case.

Sending an email is hardly 'running round' and surely puts your mind at rest. Unless you have some physical disability, sending off an email should take about 2 minutes of our time.
that's the plan but I'm waiting for a response from the seller to my initial reply before I contact them myself.

Associate
I'm guessing he's processed the refund as a cancelled auction, so when you pay into the other account, he's no longer paying Ebay fees?

Oh and Gloomhaven is superb

Caporegime
I have just had an email from the seller saying that the payment has been reversed due to PayPal issues and I will be getting a refund so can I please pay the auction amount to his other PayPal account?

that alone makes no sense - what is with the handwaving "PayPal issues"? I wouldn't appreciate being messed around and would need more details before sending money off to ransoms accounts - why can't you make the payment again to the account linked to the auction?

It seems like a very risky and dumb (from his perspective) way of avoiding auction fees.

Back
Top Bottom