odd ebay issue as a buyer

Soldato
look into Kingdom Death Monster you can easily spend £600+ for it, sure its around £1000 for the full collection, the games I'm playing are not something you find in toys r us but Gloomhaven is very much on the expensive end of the hobby.
SWEET BABY JESUS!! that's a 1080ti right there! and I thought pc's were an expensive hobby. why so expensive may I ask, is there a lot of detail in the figurines or limited quantities of them?

that's the plan but I'm waiting for a response from the seller to my initial reply before I contact them myself.
i'd personally ignore him till ebay had replied, or at at best I would tell him I was speaking to ebay before proceeding

Soldato
It's possible his eBay sale payments are being held by PayPal and they won't release the funds to him sometimes this takes 7-21days. When PayPal do this, it's not easy to contact them to resolve. I had this on a couple of recent sales and despite best efforts they automate and close down emails and phone calls on the 21 day hold / pending payments concern.

However, if he is in negative balance due to claims, one option here for the seller is to refund all outstanding payments even if goods received as even if on hold or completed PayPal will process. Equally doing refunds can put PayPal into negative balance of funds have been removed and payment methods (card/bank) de-linked.

Then set up a new non linked eBay PayPal account to process payments which should clear.

It's not a scam as you have received goods as I imagine others will but the eBay seller may just be having PayPal issues or more serious through to committing fraud and money laundering.

Soldato
that alone makes no sense - what is with the handwaving "PayPal issues"? I wouldn't appreciate being messed around and would need more details before sending money off to ransoms accounts - why can't you make the payment again to the account linked to the auction?

It seems like a very risky and dumb (from his perspective) way of avoiding auction fees.

Yes that sounds like a terrific idea send the item, then issue a full refund of the money relying on the honesty of the buyer to pay all over again! Its a winner!

Or he's being honest and PayPal are being ********* and he's going up the wall worrying he's about to get scammed by a buyer.

Whats his rating OP? If he's a newbie seller PayPal will often lock accounts if a large amount of money is received, money laundering precautions probably.

Soldato
He should be resolving his issues with PayPal, not with you. At the very least he should have discussed this with you first. In this day and age of scams galore he should have known better.

I'm still suspicious, and I wouldn't be parting with any money. It's very unusual.

Soldato
OP
SWEET BABY JESUS!! that's a 1080ti right there! and I thought pc's were an expensive hobby. why so expensive may I ask, is there a lot of detail in the figurines or limited quantities of them?

its a combination of all really, its a limited print run of very high quality minis and a massive printed by a small publisher all push the costs up.

seller had 28 all positive feedback but hadn't used eBay for the past couple of years (could explain the issues but I'm still dubious)

only update i have had is my card is now showing the funds have been received back on my card but i think ill go with the general opinion and my initial gut instinct and only go through eBay, if its a genuine paypal or eBay issue that wont be an issue on either part.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Is there a chance that his plan is basically give you a refund via ebay, get you to pay another account of his unrelated to his ebay and then claim that you never returned the game. Ebay will have a record of you receiving the item, him giving you a refund and you will be the one that is in the wrong. He gets the game back and your payment outside ebay or he get 2 payments via paypal.

Soldato
1) Someone hacks an eBay/PayPal account
2) Refunds a load of people, asking them to pay into the hackers account
3) Some people fall for it
4) Less likely to be caught vs. simply transferring the money direct?

Back
Top Bottom