Offered a new job - Seems like a no brainer?

Man of Honour
Hi guys, I have been offered a new job, it seems like a no brainer, apart from its an extra 30 miles drive each shift. It's slightly more money, but the overall package is better plus theres bonus's etc
Neither are monday to friday, they are 12 hour rotating shifts

Current Job: (Electrical Maintenance Engineer)
  • £38,800 per year before tax and overtime
  • £2471 per month/£566 per week (take home)
  • 1940 miles per year/10.6 miles per shift travel
  • 2196 hours per year/183 shifts (excluding holidays)
  • Short commute means around 25 MPG, costing approx £450 per year/£40 per month
  • No company sick pay sheme
  • No company pension scheme
  • 21 Days holiday per year
  • No xmas bonus or any bonus scheme
Only pros are it's local (10 mins away) and I get paid for doing nothing - and I do mean nothing, I just sit on youtube and forums for 12 hours

Been Offered: (Electrical Maintenance Engineer)
  • £40,500 per year before tax and overtime
  • £2563 per month/£585 per week (take home)
  • 6800 miles per year travel/46 miles per shift
  • 1780 hours/148 shifts (excluding holidays)
  • Fuel costs approx £1200 per year @ 35 MPG / £100 per month
  • Full sick pay for 6 months
  • Company pension scheme - matched upto 6%
  • 25 days holiday
  • Company is a global household name and own many other companies so get discounts at over 20 places
  • Quartly bonus based on company performance (been told its upto £1000)
  • Xmas bonus based on company performance
Cons: Extra travelling, and got to get out of bed 30 mins earlier

All opinions welcome

Man of Honour
OP
The latter seems like a no brainer, more money, more holiday, more pension.

Might be more work involved though if you're averse to that :o

Well the funny thing is, the team leader who walked me around the new place said the electricians don't do much at all :cool:

Soldato
Well the funny thing is, the team leader who walked me around the new place said the electricians don't do much at all :cool:
i would say its good, but the most important thing is the people around you.

id rather earn your £38K and be happy than your £40K and be unhappy

Soldato
Current Job: (Electrical Maintenance Engineer)

I get paid for doing nothing - and I do mean nothing, I just sit on youtube and forums for 12 hours

Surely this is not sustainable, not only for skillfade and your own sanity, but come the time when the business has to cut back, surely your department must be looked at? I'd be fearful of my job if i had literally nothing to do.

Been Offered: (Electrical Maintenance Engineer)
  • Full sick pay for 6 months
  • Company pension scheme - matched upto 6%
  • 25 days holiday
  • Cons: Extra travelling, and got to get out of bed 30 mins earlier
WRT your extra drive, you say an extra 30 miles per shift and your other place is 10mins away, so drive to work would increase from 5 miles to 28 miles per journey? On my roads that's about a 40 - 45min journey. I always said i would not do anything over an hour commute again and i currently do 30mins per journey. So 40 - 45mins is certainly doable.

Wage increase, household brand (training and good business model?), sick pay and pension (these become more important the older you get!) - you are right, sounds like a no brainer.

Man of Honour
OP
The new job is 23 miles each way, so 46 miles per shift. I've driven there a few times now, each time took around 40 mins, steady cruising

Current job is <6 miles and takes 10 mins (usually not driving all that steady)

I do hate commuting but I dont think at my working hour times there will be much traffic. Maybe abit on the way home finishing at 6. I will trial the drive next week at this time. In a morning 0 traffic

Whilst I've always hated commuting I have calmed down a lot in recent years and have a decent commuter car now

Soldato
Nice detailed breakdown but you've not included car maintenance costs other than fuel :).
Taking a new job should be more than about money. It does seem like a no brainer but did you get a good feel for the new company? Do you want a new challenge?
Some would approach their current manager and see if they can match it but personally I never do this, partly as it seems not right but also because it can ruin the relationship long term and many people who do that leave within 6 months anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice detailed breakdown but you've not included car maintenance costs other than fuel :).
Taking a new job should be more than about money. It does seem like a no brainer but did you get a good feel for the new company? Do you want a new challenge?
Some would approach their current manager and see if they can match it but personally I never do this, partly as it seems not right but also because it can ruin the relationship long term and many people who do that leave within 6 months anyway.

Got a really good feeling about the place and it's staff. Even HR seem lovley (which I find rare these days!)

Yep as said i'll eventually get skill fade in my current job. And IT will eventually see the bandwidth I am using on their network

As for maintainence on the car, service intervals I wouldn't expect to go up too much, on BMW's i think it's driving based, and all the short trips I do lower the interval anyway

Heard crazy figures for the mileage my tyres last (crappy potenza s001) I am sure I've heard 30,000 miles on 1 forum

Can't work out if this is a blow my own trumpet thread

No mate not at all. I am not a bragger

Guess in hindsight I could have just said the difference in salary, rather then the salary

That said I know people on here earning well into 6 figures so my averagish salary ain't going to impress many at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Were you approached and offered the job out of the blue, or did you actively look for it and apply? If the latter I'd suggest your mind is already made up - something motivated you to have a look around.

Man of Honour
OP
Were you approached and offered the job out of the blue, or did you actively look for it and apply? If the latter I'd suggest your mind is already made up - something motivated you to have a look around.

Cut a long story short my boss left and was replaced by a complete douche bag. Company didn't even consider recruiting/promoting from within. I uploaded my CV to the usual sites and just started receiving calls

Caporegime
I thought a company MUST offer a private pension due to a change in the law a few years ago?

Also, new job sounds like a no brainer. Have you looked up their glass door reviews? People working there for a long time?

Man of Honour
OP
I thought a company MUST offer a private pension due to a change in the law a few years ago?

Also, new job sounds like a no brainer. Have you looked up their glass door reviews? People working there for a long time?

Not yet but I will

Think by law they have to pay into a private scheme, minimum been 1%

Soldato

Small (fewer than 250 employees) employers have only just had to start offering a pension scheme, since 1 April, and enrol employees into it. They've got until October 2018 to fully fund it to the minimum levels required by law.

Back
Top Bottom