Offered a new job - Seems like a no brainer?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Only pros are I get paid for doing nothing - and I do mean nothing, I just sit on youtube and forums for 12 hours
Sounds like a con to me!

I can't stand my job anymore as I am so bored and get paid for probably doing even less work than you.

gEd

gEd

Associate
Sounds like a con to me!

I can't stand my job anymore as I am so bored and get paid for probably doing even less work than you.

Absolutely a "con". As a previous poster said, if your currently being paid for doing bugger all, your job (and potentially your career) is ultimately doomed. Anyone with several hours a day of downtime, MUST to use it to develop their skills/education and not waste their career consuming vacuous internet junk to fill their day. You need to get in the driving seat and take control over what happens to you in the future and build skills and experience that are relevant (in demand) else or you'll be on the scrap heap before you know what's hit you.

Man of Honour
I think it depends on what the alternative looks like. Personally I wouldn't mind a job where I had little work and free reign to doss about on the internet, assuming it paid a decent amount i.e. had already realised my potential on that front.
Years ago I had a job which wasn't anywhere near as vacant as that but I did get phases where I wasn't that busy for a couple of hours each day, and typically used it to study for my OU course.
I'd get bored in a job with nothing to do if I couldn't surf online etc, but can't imagine I'd get bored if that wasn't restricted/frowned upon.

Looking at the specifics of this scenario I wouldn't class it as a no brainer, because to me that implies there are no benefits to one of the alternatives which isn't the case here (less travelling).

Personally I'd definitely consider the new job because it is 8hrs less work per week for more money and better benefits.

Associate
I can't stand wasting my time doing nothing.
Don't you get depressed that your just wasting all that time?

Sometimes I'm too busy at work but at least I'm achieving something.

Take the new job, keep updating your cv as well. Something even better may come along.

Soldato
Sounds a no brainer to me either.

In my eyes that's still a relatively short commute. Commuting is a funny thing, it takes me 50-60 mins to drive the 45 miles into Bristol where my office is, yet some of my colleagues who live local to Bristol (6-8 miles away) have roughly the same commuting times.

The pension/sick pay, extra holiday, and reduction in hours also technically adds to your overall salary if you're looking for comparisons.

There is a bonus to a reasonably long commute, listen to a good radio station, or some of your favourite tunes. If you've had a bad day at work it helps you wind down before you get back home. With a short journey you won't have had time to wind down, which means you're likely to be agitated when you get home to your family.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for opinions 99% sure i'll take it

I'm sure that 23 miles will fly by espcially in a morning when no traffic on roads, bet I can do it in 25-30 mins without loosing my licence

Back
Top Bottom