Offered new job - negotiation

Permabanned
Hello

I have been offered a job but I am in a bit of a pickle on a few points

- I advised the new company I am currently on a flexible working hours contract and would require the same in this role. They said they do not offer flexible hours officially, however, it wouldnt be a problem unofficially. If this isnt in my contact, they can turn around and dictate my hours . what should I do?

- 24/7 on call was advertised at 5k per year, however it appears this is not guaranteed/official so that leaves me 5k short. Should I negotiate a larger salary? (I have asked for the top end advertised already).

Any help would be great.

alx

alx

Soldato
Be very careful of anything not written down in a contract or on an email or similar for proof - otherwise it's very easy for them to turn around and go back on their word. Once you arrive and settle in they know you're unlikely to then pack it all in if certain conditions aren't met.

When my girlfriend started a new job she greed certain conditions made by a hiring manager who then was made redundant very shortly after she joined, and because these promises/requests weren't written down and weren't part of her contract they never materialised, so be careful.

Permabanned
OP
Yep understand. Either way I will have less than 2 years service so its not like it matters anyway but still good to know.

The job is for a very well know global company so I can understand the rule. Is it common to get flexible hours in a contract if the company policies say different?

Soldato
The contract should clearly define your working terms and conditions, if it doesn’t you are gambling.

To give you an extreme example if they said you would be paid £50,000 a year but your contract only stated £25,000 would that be acceptable ?

Make sure the contract contains what is important to you, as anything not in there is far from guaranteed.

Soldato

You asked for help, he gave you sound advice, so perhaps lose the attitude...

You are being promised certain things unofficially which doesn't take a genius to work out it will probably not end the way you hope.

If these are elements that you require, then ask for them in writing, as part of your contract.

Permabanned
OP

You are being promised certain things unofficially which doesn't take a genius to work out it will probably not end the way you hope.

If these are elements that you require, then ask for them in writing, as part of your contract.

How about you read what he said?

"never trust anyone who keeps changing their story.

The job will be different to what you expect."

How is that helpful? Where does he get they keep changing their story and why is he certain the job will be different to what I expect? Ridiculous statements.

However yours is not. I think I will ask for it written in the contract.

Caporegime

This.

How about you read what he said?

"never trust anyone who keeps changing their story.

The job will be different to what you expect."

How is that helpful? Where does he get they keep changing their story and why is he certain the job will be different to what I expect? Ridiculous statements.

You have to just use a bit of common sense here, "it will not be a problem 'unofficially'", would be so naive to believe this.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Please quote in full next time.

I said at the end that I agree with him.

Edit:

Re read and it is ambiguous, what i meant was that m@rtys advice was helpful.

Associate
If they won’t put it into the contract I would walk away.

When I signed up to my last job I sent my contract back a couple of times with mistakes or terms that were not correct with what was agreed.

Soldato
Have you still got your current job or have you got other offers you are considering? The reason I ask is that you sound like you are as good a candidate as the job is likely to attract (top end of the salary range offered). If so, you should say something like, "The job sounds challenging and rewarding and I would like to accept your offer, however, I am worried about the gap between the quoted terms (£5k and flexitime) and the contract. In its current form I couldn't sign it, regardless of how much I would like to."

If it's being discussed they should be prepared to put it in the contract. If they won't, you have to think they don't intend to pay it.

Permabanned
OP
Have you still got your current job or have you got other offers you are considering? The reason I ask is that you sound like you are as good a candidate as the job is likely to attract (top end of the salary range offered). If so, you should say something like, "The job sounds challenging and rewarding and I would like to accept your offer, however, I am worried about the gap between the quoted terms (£5k and flexitime) and the contract. In its current form I couldn't sign it, regardless of how much I would like to."

If it's being discussed they should be prepared to put it in the contract. If they won't, you have to think they don't intend to pay it.

Well I know there is a bit of a shortage of my skillset in the area and I am well experienced in this particular field. Additionally, I know I am the only person to get through to face to face interview let alone a job offer.

There is a recruitment agent in the middle so will just have a word next week.

I am currently employed so not desperate but this job does tick the boxes in other ways.

Back
Top Bottom