Offering on a flat without viewing it?

Soldato
Hi all...

I'm considering offering on a flat to rent that I've seen on Right Move's website as it's exactly what we've been looking for for uni next year and from the pictures etc. it's absolutely spot on both for size and the location is beyond a pale.

Normally I'd want to see it first but I know for a fact properties in this area have been going extremely quickly and the soonest I could get over to see it would be next Monday (16th) and I'm not sure it'd still be around by then and it would also mean burning £100 on a flight that could be used towards a deposit.

Have people done this in the past? If so, any advice for avoiding huge problems?

Anything in particular I should be asking when I ring the estate agent?

Also, to get the property will I have to pay the full deposit over the phone or can I agree it and then pay in the next few days?

Cheers.

Soldato
I really wouldn't recommend making an offer on a flat before you've viewed it. Advertising photos are always taken to make places look their best, and sometimes it can be totally different from what you expect.

Do you have any friends who have stayed over the summer who could maybe view it for you?

EDIT: I believe you normally have to put in an application for rental first, and you won't be asked for any money until the agent or owner has decided if they want you.

Soldato
Just go for it if its what you want, its a rental at the end so its not a huge issue. As for the deposit im sure you can pay by card over the phone, they cant expect to only have cash payments.

Caporegime
we are in our current house after not viewing it. we saw 3 pics and that was all we needed.

this wasnt through choice. houses in the area we wanted go within days of being advertised, considering we were 150 miles away from this area, we could not come up and see each house that came up. we came up once, looked around a few areas and decided on where we wanted to rent, found a few very close to the one we are in, went to see them and was happy with the area.

as it happens, the one we are in is better than the ones we viewed and rejected :D

Soldato
I'd always view a flat before making an offer. I viewed one flat that looked perfect on paper, but when I went there it stank of damp, the landlord didn't even seem to notice it, when I asked about it he said, "what smell? The other tenants haven't complained."

Soldato
OP
Moredhel said:
I'd always view a flat before making an offer. I viewed one flat that looked perfect on paper, but when I went there it stank of damp, the landlord didn't even seem to notice it, when I asked about it he said, "what smell? The other tenants haven't complained."

It's a brand new development so I'd like to think that wouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom