Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Associate
Well my old Noble finally bit the dust shopped around a managed to get a Haworth Zody office chair for 250 quid (2nd hand) love it. Much better than my old noble and cheaper to boot.

got it from a place called 2ndhnd

I'm 6ft 2 and about 18 stone and it suits me fine, doesn't have a head rest but never really used the one on the noble, it came with a slight scuff mark on the one arm and that's about it. Got the 4d stuff on the arms, has a forward tilt mech for making getting out easier and the usual back tilt lock you can set to whichever level you want, plus lumbar support on the back. Build quality is much better than my old chair, the whole base unit and under seat area is made out of solid metal.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had a Noble Hero for about 12 months, and it's not working for me any more. It was fine at first, but as my sciatica has gotten worse the chair is more and more uncomfortable to sit on (I had sciatica before I got the chair - tried a few before I settled on this). The worst aspect at the moment is the seat pad and backrest is way too firm for me. I need something a bit softer, not necessarily more padding but just softer with more give.

Any suggestions? I liked the Hero as it has a large seat base which is good for me who fidgets quite a lot. One of the chairs I tried prior to this was the Humanscale Freedom which I hated as it forced my posture too much. I move around and fidget constantly so need something a bit more neutral I think?

Sgarrista
Commissario
Any suggestions? I liked the Hero as it has a large seat base which is good for me who fidgets quite a lot. One of the chairs I tried prior to this was the Humanscale Freedom which I hated as it forced my posture too much. I move around and fidget constantly so need something a bit more neutral I think?

Steelcase gesture

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I found the Areon uncomfortable. My legs are too long and it cut into that back of my legs. I'm a foam seat kinda guy.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah, we had them in the office, all 3 sizes. Just couldn't get in with any of them. They changed them now for a few other brands. All are an improvement.

Associate
Glad I found this thread was just about to create one.
Gave my office chair to my brother and jumped on the "Gaming Chair" deal....colours look great and that's it!

Not as comfortable as an office chair and squeaks and drives me up the wall. I tried an office chair in Costco and man was it comfortable.

So probably will park the gaming chair and will return back to the good old office chair.

Soldato
I've had a Noble Hero for about 12 months, and it's not working for me any more. It was fine at first, but as my sciatica has gotten worse the chair is more and more uncomfortable to sit on (I had sciatica before I got the chair - tried a few before I settled on this). The worst aspect at the moment is the seat pad and backrest is way too firm for me. I need something a bit softer, not necessarily more padding but just softer with more give.

Tried to get to some office 2nd hand stores to try some chairs out, but none of them had any decent stock. Looked around at a Steelcase Gesture, but couldn't find one with a headrest in budget with a headrest.

Ended up ordering a Sidiz T50 from somewhere with a good returns policy. It's a nice chair, but not perfect so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. The seat pad is better then the Noble Hero, softer. The backrest is also much more comfortable. However the seat base doesn't feel wide enough and I can't quite get in to a comfortable position. The headrest is also pretty pointless as its very flimsy and doesn't feel very nice - a cushion on it would probably solve this however.

Will try it out for a few more days before I commit to keeping it/returning it.

Soldato
Just had a Steelcase Gesture arrive as @kindai mentioned, I wanted to try one before committing to the Sidiz I mentioned in the above post. I previously had discounted it as I was unable to get one refurbed with the headrest - but thought I'd give one a try anyway. Initial impressions, it is noticeably better for me than the Sidiz (which I've been getting on ok with).

The biggest improvements are the back support, which sort of rotates as you lean back, so you don't end up with a void under your lower back, and the seat pad - which is much more comfortable (better foam I guess?). The build quality is much better as expected, the Sidiz had developed a sqeak when moving around in it, which I could put up with - but the Steelcase feels like a tank in comparison. It also weighs about twice as much.

Probably the biggest complaints with the Sidiz - the headrest wasn't great and felt flimsy. And the arms, they lean back as you lean back - so it you want a slightly reclined seating position - the arms end up tilting upwards. I would still recommend checking it out if it looks like it might suit, for £200 it's not bad.

I just really wish this Gesture it had a headrest, but I can only find them new @ £1200 with the headrest so I might look at some solutions to 'mod' it with a headrest.

Associate
I have been looking to replace my Noble Chair I bought four years ago with a Herman Miller Embody. I did want the Steelcase Gesture, but Steelcase have changed their warranty now and it only lasts five years compared to Herman Millers 12 years.

Found a place that sells the Herman Miller Embody (don't want the gaming version since it more expensive, nosier, and most find it less comfortable) so I think I'll go with that retailer.

Soldato
Had a v1 leap for going on 5 years now, wouldn't mind changing for something full back/head rest equipped but not ready to drop mega bucks on another chair while this one is still fine.

Could do with a new piston (though last time i tried to remove this nothing would budge) and need to see if i can tighten up the arm rests but the rest is still solid.

Back
Top Bottom