Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Soldato
I also have a Secret Labs Titan. It's not that it's a terrible chair, it's that the (£220 when new) office chair I had before it was simply a better chair and I very clearly would have got a better chair had I gone for an office chair instead of a gaming chair. There's nothing about the "gaming chairness" of the Secret Lab that makes it a good chair, and it limits it from having features (e.g. a synchro base or front/back adjustment for the seat with respect to the back) that would have made it a better chair.

Have either of you used office chairs that were comparable in price to the Secret Labs? I think that most people who rave about Secret Lab or Noble gaming chairs haven't. If you're used to a cheap chair, yeah, the Titan is a huge improvement. It's a decent chair; it's just that for the same money you can get a significantly better chair, or save and get an equally good chair.
Are you able to suggest some alternatives for around a similar £400 mark please? New only, I don’t want someone’s old sweaty chair.

Associate
I also have a Secret Labs Titan. It's not that it's a terrible chair, it's that the (£220 when new) office chair I had before it was simply a better chair and I very clearly would have got a better chair had I gone for an office chair instead of a gaming chair. There's nothing about the "gaming chairness" of the Secret Lab that makes it a good chair, and it limits it from having features (e.g. a synchro base or front/back adjustment for the seat with respect to the back) that would have made it a better chair.

Have either of you used office chairs that were comparable in price to the Secret Labs? I think that most people who rave about Secret Lab or Noble gaming chairs haven't. If you're used to a cheap chair, yeah, the Titan is a huge improvement. It's a decent chair; it's just that for the same money you can get a significantly better chair, or save and get an equally good chair.
It's a fair comment and I have sat on +500 office type chairs but honestly it felt like the 2/300 quid ones, again they are good but comparable to the secret labs comfort but without the looks.

I'm absolutely sure a HM would be much better but then you're paying at least double. New for New and not second hand.

Caporegime
Are you able to suggest some alternatives for around a similar £400 mark please? New only, I don’t want someone’s old sweaty chair.

Not really. I suggest you find a local place that sells quality chairs and try some out, and even that ain't great because you really need to sit on a chair for a long time at your actual workspace to get a real impression. Try and find something with lots of adjustability and synchro tilt. A friend of mine has a Rovo R16 which I really liked when I sat on it, and it costs about that over here but they don't seem to be available in the UK? And, of course, there's a lot of personal preference in chairs.

I had my old office chair for about 15 years. I got it by going to a place in Coventry and sitting on a bunch of chairs and picking one, I don't even know who made it. The Secret Lab I got in the early part of lockdown when going on sitting on stuff wasn't an option and I kind of regret it - but not enough to actually go and spend money on a replacement. As I said the Titan is a decent chair, I just think you can do considerably better for the same money.

Associate
Just picked up my first 'gaming chair' have always bought office chairs from Amazon but fancied being 16 again! :D

IMG-20230116-210842788.jpg

Associate

I currently own a Secretlabs 2022 softweave Titan and have upgraded from a Noblechairs Hero.

I have also owned a Steel case Please V2 and Humanscale Freedom, both highly regarded experience office chairs which in my opinion were not comfortable so I sent them back.

I like a large padded seat and high back which most office chairs down have. The Titan Evo 2022 has a nice flat seat bad and is thicker than the Noblechair which slants backwards. The ability to raise or lower the lumber support is good and also the magnetic neck pillow fits me perfectly. I like to sometimes sit cross legged and also with one leg under the other which just isn't possible in most "ergonomic" office chairs.

Honestly a comfortable chair is subjective.

Soldato
Titan Evo 2022 has really solid foam cussions, which seem disconcerting at first, almost too firm, but i like that as they should last and not sagg over time.

Man of Honour
Have to say these days I just buy a bog standard PC/office chair from like Argos - no matter how expensive or high quality I go through the material around the front edge of the seat in no time unfortunately :(

Associate
My small hill to die on remains you can't beat a solid task chair
You can still pick up a good condition/refurbished steelcase for a hundy if your willing to shop about
They are the 1080ti of chairs - if you actually manage to break one of these things, you did it deliberately

So far as the ergonomics go, it shouldn't need to be said but nomatter what you are using take regular breaks.. obviously as I imagine most of us fart dust that is less a problem as we're regularly needing to go pee :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Not going to lie, that chair looks horrific in terms of ergonomics but you do you :D
Having also own DXRacer and Akracing gaming chair I have to agree :p

Throwing out the lower back stripped-on "lumber support" would help tremendously though, as your back would at least rest against the back of chair instead of the empty gap between the head pillow and the lumber :cry:

Soldato
when i was on the hunt for a chair i would periodically check online when at work (desk based) looking for a chair until someone noticed me looking at chairs online and said "whats wrong with the one your sitting on". its at that point it dawned on me, im on the work chair all day every day why bother with anything else. and bought the same work chair and use it at home. office chair has undergone DSE assessments and all sorts of formal testing. gaming chair only has to pass the bling test.

Back
Top Bottom