Poll: Official 2023 Qatar Grand Prix Thread - Losail International Circuit - Round 18

Rate the Qatar Grand Prix out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour

Belgian-GP-Header.png

Lusail

When was the track built?

The Lusail International Circuit, located on the outskirts of the capital city of Doha, was built in preparation for hosting Qatar’s first ever MotoGP event in 2004, with the circuit completed in just over a year.

When was its first Grand Prix?

2021 represented the first time Qatar had ever hosted the FIA Formula One World Championship – with the country signing an additional 10-year deal to host the sport from 2023.

What’s the circuit like?

Designed primarily with motorcycle racing in mind, the 5.4-kilometre Lusail International Circuit is a fast and flowing track, where medium- and high-speed corners predominate. Over one kilometre of the track’s total length is made up of the main straight, which provides plenty of overtaking opportunities into Turn 1.

Why go?

If you live in the northern hemisphere and the thought of escaping colder climes in October appeals, you’ll be well catered for in Qatar, with average temperatures around 28 degrees Celsius at that time of year. Unsurprisingly with that kind of weather, Qatar is a great country for outdoor pursuits, be that karting at Lusail itself, or trips into the desert to go sandboarding, camel riding and 4x4ing.

Where is the best place to watch?

The Main Grandstand puts you at the heart of the action, with panoramic views of the start-finish straight, the pit lane and the team garages. Meanwhile, the new-for-2023 T2 Grandstand offers outstanding vantage points to enjoy the action through the circuit’s opening corners.

Qatar Grand Prix 2023 - Schedule Information & TV Broadcast Times

Screenshot-20230724-173932-Power-Point.jpg

Channel 4 Highlights - Broadcast Times

Saturday 7th October - Qatar GP Qualifying & Sprint Race Highlights - 21:35
Sunday 8th October- Qatar GP Race Highlights - 23:00

Weekend Weather Forecast (as of 02/10/2023 - who am I kidding, its going to remain bloody dry and hot anyway!)

Screenshot-20230724-173547-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Track Diagram & Information

Screenshot-20230723-182624-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Previous Race Highlights

Drivers Championship

Screenshot-20230723-185650-Kiwi-Browser.jpg

Constructors Championship

Screenshot-20230723-185816-Kiwi-Browser.jpg
v

Just a reminder, but consider it a warning - can we not have any further derogatory name calling of drivers, team bosses and the like. We don't expect you to like every driver/team, but at least keep comments respectful.

If you don't follow this warning, you will lose access to the race thread and the thread for the following race as well.

This includes but is not limited to such terms including Lulu, Crashstappen, Karen Horner, Whingey Spice etc.

Last edited:
Don
Max just needs 3 points to win the title, so it's looking likely he'll win the title after the Saturday sprint race. Seems a bit silly to have it concluded on one of these gimmicky sprints but I'm sure Max won't care.
Honestly I'd rather it that way than for his Championship win to take any of the spotlight from the finish of the main race itself.

Let him win the Championship on Saturday and get the celebrations out the way, allow the Sunday race to proceed as normal.

[Edit] only three replies to this thread after 2 days, goes to show the level of interest in the race.

Thanks as always to @chrismscotland though

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly I'd rather it that way than for his Championship win to take any of the spotlight from the finish of the main race itself.

Let him win the Championship on Saturday and get the celebrations out the way, allow the Sunday race to proceed as normal.

[Edit] only three replies to this thread after 2 days, goes to show the level of interest in the race.

Thanks as always to @chrismscotland though
If he wins on Saturday he might be too hungover to perform well on Sunday :D

Don
I don't think Max will mind taking the spotlight away from the Race winner.... which will be Max.

We've seen on a number of occasions in the past though that the race winner wasn't the WDC, and it overshadows whomever won the race (especially if its a winner who is rarely on the podium)

Soldato
We've seen on a number of occasions in the past though that the race winner wasn't the WDC, and it overshadows whomever won the race (especially if its a winner who is rarely on the podium)

Disagree, I don't think it has ever overshadowed the race winner, and the whole point of Formula 1 is to decide a title winner. Who cares if someone else happens to win that weekend. How big of an ego would a driver have to have to be upset that the title winner gets more coverage? You're overthinking this.

Associate
Probably doesn’t help that they (F1) don’t have a WDC celebration after the podium or something.

Associate
Disagree, I don't think it has ever overshadowed the race winner, and the whole point of Formula 1 is to decide a title winner. Who cares if someone else happens to win that weekend. How big of an ego would a driver have to have to be upset that the title winner gets more coverage? You're overthinking this.
I often find the opposite, that the winner overshadows the WDC win. The entire end of the race is about the top 3.

Don

You're allowed to disagree, that's the wonderful thing about opinions :)

Man of Honour
OP
I think the only year the WDC overshadowed the race winner was the year they felt they had to make a show of it because Hamilton clinched his title but didn't finish on the podium, I think it was Mexico if I recall.

Generally though the WDC is handed out and a driver has won or been on the podium

Last edited:
Soldato
Was this Hamilton’s last race win back
in 2021?
Remember they skipped 2022 because of the World Cup
No, Hamilton won Saudi after. That was the race that should have given Max a race ban tbh. I don’t blame you for getting confused.. one degenerate, oil-rich dull desert race to another :p

Last edited:
Soldato
This will likely be more boring than usual due to the majority of the comers all being medium speed, making on track overtaking extremely hard

Hoping Lando can get the win !

Last edited:
Associate
Dani Ric is still not back so Lawson will get another chance to put himself in the shop window.
And a good baseline for when RIC returns. If have can't outperform Lawson, I don't see him getting the RB seat when Checo inevitably falls flat next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom