Poll: Official 2023 Qatar Grand Prix Thread - Losail International Circuit - Round 18

Rate the Qatar Grand Prix out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Big news coming out of Qatar regarding the tyres, basically Pirelli have discovered they are falling apart because of the type of kerbs used there.

Potentially forcing a 3 stop race if it persists too.

Why would they allow more laps on used tyres?

Soldato
Are cars running the hardest three compounds this weekend?

If they have to do three stops in the full race, I guess it makes it more of a driver-tyre crew team race.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh gawd just why why why,

What a bunch of useless idiots

I mean to be fair, how are Pirelli to know? Since the last visit the track has been completely resurfaced, the kerbs are new, the cars have larger 18 inch wheels and add the ground effect the cars have now that all produce much different forces on the tyres since 2021.

Associate
WTF is going on with Perez man. How is it possible that he is THAT slow. He seems to be almost a second off Max's pace which is insane.
At least in previous seasons of Merc and RB domination the other driver has been in contention for the championship. Perez is rubbish in qualifying and then in the race tries to overtake like he has blue flags out for him and is then suprised when the car he is racing doesn't yield.

He should probably retire, even if he could beat Max, RB won't let him.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean to be fair, how are Pirelli to know? Since the last visit the track has been completely resurfaced, the kerbs are new, the cars have larger 18 inch wheels and add the ground effect the cars have now that all produce much different forces on the tyres since 2021.
No big deal, don't know why anyone would call them useless idiots either. They'll get more information from the sprint race and possibly make an informed decision then.

Soldato
Having just spent the last hour sanding down some repairs to my porch wall, surely the issue here is the fact this track is in a flippin’ desert and any gust of wind is going to cover it in sand? I can’t imagine what damage all that sand does to the internals of the cars, let alone the tyres :confused:

Associate
Oh dear oh dear whiffs of 2005
You’d have thought they had learnt by now

Ok, tyres don’t have to last the entire race this time but still a facepalm situation that makes F1 look foolish again

Caporegime

Indeed. And it seems to me they've come rapidly to a sensible solution. Hopefully all will go well from here.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with the pirellis is that they have always degraded thermally rather than by wear. It is possible to make robust tyres that wear and can still be safe but for whatever reason they can't seem to do it. It leads to the situation at tracks with hot weather and high speed corners the tyres disintegrate. The issues in the past at Silverstone 2013 for example were due to them changing the construction so the tyres literally delaminated. It seems this time they just get too hot due to the conditions and constant cornering which makes them prone to failure.

It'd be interesting to see if this is due to blistering or something else.

The old grooved Bridgestones and Michelins could be worn down to slicks without overheating, but then they had the ability to pound around test tracks as much as they liked, plus the cars were much lighter and had less downforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom