Poll: Official 2024 Belgian Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Race 14/24

Rate the Spa race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
Yep, much as he was being called the "tyre whisperer", for all we know everyone could have made them last, just no one else did.

As someone else said, it was a "hail mary" as he had nothing to lose. Fair play and he (nearly) got away with it but it was more luck and a roll of the dice than some amazing driving or tyre preservation skills.
Actually 5 others did a one stop, all were above the min weight, but that might have been because the cars were heavy anyway.

Soldato
All this talk of replacing Perez, is everyone forgetting he's signed for another two years?

With performance clauses though, rumoured include one stating that, if he's 100 points behind Max by the summer break, the contract can be voided/cancelled by Red Bull.

With McLaren now only 40 points behind Red Bull, they simply have to roll the dice and replace Perez after the break.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The other thing I find utterly bizarre is that George got his fastest lap on the last lap...on a one stop race with ancient tyres.

Last edited:

ALD

ALD

Associate
The other thing I find utterly bizarre is that George got his fastest lap on the last lap...on a one stop race with ancient tyres.
New tarmac with a lot of rain means the track evolved a huge amount as it rubbered in during the race.

Soldato
While the race had a little excitement towards the end, I didn't think it was a classic by any means and found it pretty run of mill in large parts. All of the ingredients were there, but the on track action wasn't spectacular. Even Lewis catching George, he never really got to have a good go at him.

It's a shame George loses the win but then how much is 1.5kg worth over 44 laps. I bet it's worth a whole more than the gap to Lewis, so there is that.

I think Lewis and Piastri drove a good race. While Perez, Noris and Sainz were all disappointing.

Caporegime
They thought the undercut was powerful and they thought the tyre deg would be much higher.

That is pretty astonishing though. How could they (and presumably the other teams) get the degredation calculations so wrong?

Like, massively wrong. So much so, a driver managed to beat them all whilst still managing his tyres so we'll that he sets his personal best on the last lap..!?

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly think we've seen enough races at different types of tracks though to say that the Raging Bulls have certainly been tamed Max did well but it wasn't the cruise to the front you'd expect.

This season has turned from a walkover into maybe one of the best ones in living memory! About 7 guys can win every race depending on how the cards fall.

Caporegime
Certainly think we've seen enough races at different types of tracks though to say that the Raging Bulls have certainly been tamed Max did well but it wasn't the cruise to the front you'd expect.

This season has turned from a walkover into maybe one of the best ones in living memory! About 7 guys can win every race depending on how the cards fall.

Just such a shame that Max was so dominant for the first part of the season and managed to build such a lead.

Man of Honour
All this talk of replacing Perez, is everyone forgetting he's signed for another two years?

Unfortunately, I believe the way it works with them is they sign for a seat with Red Bull, not Red Bull Racing or RB Team Cashapp Visa Sponky Honda Redbull Powertrain. So they bosses can (and have) switched the drivers about whenever they want.

So he could be stuffed down to RB and swapped with one of those drivers (it'll be Ricciardo). Or even shuffled to test/reserve driver role at RBR and Lawson get the race seat.

Soldato
I find it very interesting that there hasn't been a great deal of people arguing that Russell should have let Lewis past, when most seemed to agree that Norris should have let Piastri past in the last race.

Ultimately, George was given the better strategy call and track position (the key thing here), just like Norris was last race.

If anything, it was even more unfair on Lewis than Piastri, considering he was the lead driver AND he actually did catch George up.

Seems to be massive double standards in people's thought processes.

What?! McLaren obviously had an agreement in place to only race until the 2nd pitstop but strategy (to help Norris keep 2nd) meant deviating from that plan so they ordered the drivers to swap. Merc clearly had a 'let them race' attitude so there's no double standards as it's a different scenario.

But even ignoring it being different teams, you couldn't even call it double standard if it was McLaren. Each race may have different agreements and will have different strategies. If a team wants to use the same team orders as the last race - that's fine, if they choose to do the opposite of the last race - well that's their prerogative. It doesn't make it double standards.

Commissario
Unfortunately, I believe the way it works with them is they sign for a seat with Red Bull, not Red Bull Racing or RB Team Cashapp Visa Sponky Honda Redbull Powertrain. So they bosses can (and have) switched the drivers about whenever they want.

So he could be stuffed down to RB and swapped with one of those drivers (it'll be Ricciardo). Or even shuffled to test/reserve driver role at RBR and Lawson get the race seat.
That makes sense.

Caporegime
Going to be a tough one for perez.

In that car you'd expect a win or podium at least.

But in reality most of us are expecting verstappen to finish Infront of him.
He won't be able to hide behind the excuse of "I had a bad quali but I made up loads of places."

If he's not fast enough he'll go backwards.

Big day

Well this aged well.
Back of the top cars having started 2nd.

Red Bull will lose wcc if they keep perez. They might not if they ditch him. No brainer.

Gutted for Russell. That was amazing. And amazing for merc to let them race.
He took it well. Quite like George and Oscar too.
Wonder if Hamilton is regretting going to Ferrari!

Great race, especially seeing verstappen not cruise past everyone

Man of Honour
OP

I think for the first time (in the long saga of Red Bull drivers being “swapped”) its likely Perez is released completely rather than being demoted; I reckon before the end of the week Daniel Ricciardo will be confirmed as heading for Red Bull and Lawson taking his seat at RB.

Back
Top Bottom