Poll: Official 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Monaco - Race 8/24

Rate the Monaco procession out of one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think making drivers sit out a race as punishment is a great idea. Ocon isn’t in danger of winning the WDC, and it means a rookie gets a go. It should be more common I reckon.

We've seen drivers demoted, dropped, etc. I was thinking more about pulling them for a particular race, which seems to be what is being suggested rather than outright sacking Ocon.

One I was trying to remember earlier was Alex Yoong at Minardi in 2002. They pulled him out of the car in favour of Anthony Davidson for two races to go get his head in the game after DNQing too many times, before putting him back in the car for the final three races of the year.

Kvyat got demoted from RB to TR for *checks notes* beating Dani Ricc over a season and then landing RB's first podium of the season. Yeah, that was all about Max.

We've seen drivers demoted, dropped, etc. I was thinking more about pulling them for a particular race, which seems to be what is being suggested rather than outright sacking Ocon.
I guess the closest was Toto threatening to drop Lewis and Nico after they hit each other. :D

There does seem to be a massive aversion in F1 to benching a driver, I can only assume its contractual/legal - Indycar have no such issues; heck Meyer Shank Racing have just benched one of their drivers (Tom Blomqvist) for the next 2 races after a first lap incident in the Indy 500, replacing him with 49 year old Helio Castroneves!

There does seem to be a massive aversion in F1 to benching a driver, I can only assume its contractual/legal - Indycar have no such issues; heck Meyer Shank Racing have just benched one of their drivers (Tom Blomqvist) for the next 2 races after a first lap incident in the Indy 500, replacing him with 49 year old Helio Castroneves!
I assume Indycar has a similar amount of money sloshing around the sport as F1. I guess benching drivers may help to improve the team's image, particularly in Apline's case.

begs question why Santino Ferruci is still racing....

There were four overtakes at Monaco, none of them were shown live, only as replays.
  • Lap 51 Bottas overtook Sargeant for P 13
  • Lap 55 Stroll overtook Zhou for P 15
  • Lap 56 Stroll overtook Sargeant for P 14
  • Lap 68 Sargeant overtook Zhou for P 15
One overtake was at Saint Devote, two overtakes were at Mirabeau and one overtake was at the Nouvelle Chicane. Bottas passing Zhou on Lap 50 isn't counted because it was a team order.

It doesn't make it a good race though.
Zhou being passed at the end was him failing hard letting traffic pass.

Get it off the calendar, because we all know they aren't going to fix the cars ever.
Previous races have also seen the cars driving at a pace a little faster than a 1.0 Micra on old Noname tyres.

Last edited:
My mistake. Thought it was a defense of the race!

For me, I'd say this was the worst F1 race I've ever seen.
I fortunately didn't see Spa '21, but with my cloudy memory it's only Indianapolis in '05 that comes close.

Maybe the one saving grace is that it’s 1 of 200 races a year rather than 1 of 15 like the old days. So at least it’s not as bad? (I’m trying to find a positive… lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom