*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
OP
That's why you smoke things and go back inside like a pro! :D

Got an order in at T&G (finally!) and after some suggestions - I've already got:

1 x Point Brisket
1 x Angel Guts Sausages
1 x Blue Label Burger
1 x Black Pudding

Anything else you guys would recommend? Got a weeks holidays to cook things! :D

Soldato
Cook by temp, I have done 3 3.5kg pull pork and there has been a variance of over 3 hours on them hitting temp, all to do with fat/water content etc - the two that wouldn’t pull were likely under 190f and the other over!

Thanks for the reply. Is this the internal temperature during smoking? ~87C?
We setup the temp probe to make sure the pork reached temp in the oven and that was set to 79. Should it have got higher for longer at the start? Just trouble shooting at the moment to try and avoid it next time.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. Is this the internal temperature during smoking? ~87C?
We setup the temp probe to make sure the pork reached temp in the oven and that was set to 79. Should it have got higher for longer at the start? Just trouble shooting at the moment to try and avoid it next time.

The accepted ‘perfect’ internal temp is 203f so 95c but 190f+ is where the meat is in the pulling zone, you can check by feel then but I always aim for 203f and it’s never let me down!

Low and slow, it takes as long as it takes and you can raise the temp to shorten it but don’t go too high or you’re in hot and fast zone and a different cook entirely!

Soldato
That's why you smoke things and go back inside like a pro! :D

Got an order in at T&G (finally!) and after some suggestions - I've already got:

1 x Point Brisket
1 x Angel Guts Sausages
1 x Blue Label Burger
1 x Black Pudding

Anything else you guys would recommend? Got a weeks holidays to cook things! :D
Any chance of some pictures of the point pre-cook? I'm wondering how much fat cap is on it, their own website says 'Left fat on to keep it extra juicy', and I'm wondering just how much that means. It's expensive enough already at £9/kg without losing 1/3rd of it to trimming. Cheers.

Soldato
The accepted ‘perfect’ internal temp is 203f so 95c but 190f+ is where the meat is in the pulling zone, you can check by feel then but I always aim for 203f and it’s never let me down!

Low and slow, it takes as long as it takes and you can raise the temp to shorten it but don’t go too high or you’re in hot and fast zone and a different cook entirely!

Ah ok, so as you say temperature is a better judge than time, as long as it is getting up to 190F+ or 90C then we're in the pull-zone and it can be cooked/kept as long as necessary.

Thanks very much for that I'll pass it on to my friend and see how we fair next time! Cheers.

Associate
We got the Mastertouch about 18 months ago when Homebase were clearing out stock (even though we had to drive to Leamington Spa, with MrsSeabiscuit calling me crazy most of the journey). They are absolutly brilliant. I really don't think you'll regret it. Get a good digital thermometer too, so you can keep track of temperatures. Bluetooth/wireless ones are great as you can even check from inside the house.

Soldato
We got the Mastertouch about 18 months ago when Homebase were clearing out stock (even though we had to drive to Leamington Spa, with MrsSeabiscuit calling me crazy most of the journey). They are absolutly brilliant. I really don't think you'll regret it. Get a good digital thermometer too, so you can keep track of temperatures. Bluetooth/wireless ones are great as you can even check from inside the house.
How did you know they were selling one cheap in somewhere a long way from you?

Associate
Hot UK Deals thread. They were selling off the Matertouch in grey/silver paint for £127. At that price I didn't mind the unexpected journey. There was reported stock at Wolstanton near OcUK HQ, so I dashed there on my lunch, but staff couldn't find it (or had put them aside to buy themselves). They found and reserved one for me at Leamington Spa though, so I dragged a slightly confused MrsSeabiscuit with me that evening. Was a sunny bank holiday, so the roads were clear, and we had a nice meal out, so she forgave me. :p

Soldato
OP
Any chance of some pictures of the point pre-cook? I'm wondering how much fat cap is on it, their own website says 'Left fat on to keep it extra juicy', and I'm wondering just how much that means. It's expensive enough already at £9/kg without losing 1/3rd of it to trimming. Cheers.

Will do but looking at a few days delay due to incoming Thunderstorms! :D

Soldato
That's a cracking price including the starter

Even better than that. I took a punt on buying from "WowBBQ" as their listing stated a free gift, and it wasn't clear whether than meant the starter which everyone is including. Turns out it didn't mean that, so I also got a genuine Weber cover for it.

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories...ster-touch-gbs-57cm-crimson/14503004~14503004

Seabiscuit has ruined my bargain high now though with his £127. There's always one who has to one up isn't there? ;)

Soldato
Master Touch now built. It's solid as a rock once together - but those legs were a right pain in the 'arris to put on. Getting the spring clip to stay in the right place had me swearing (and I eventually hit on starting with them in the leg, not in the mount - worked much better.)

Back
Top Bottom