*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Sorry man. I saw my name tagged in your post but didn't realise that you were actually asking @oneilldo :)

No worries, I am quite an impulsive buyer at times and have even changed my router setup to get better WiFi into the garden in anticipation but it’s above the ‘worth a punt’ price so if I could buy it for £150 there would be no thinking just buying so I thought I probably had asked you twice in a month!!!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Went for some Salmon this weekend.

A dry brine, Brown Sugar, Salt and pepper

uuCy35Z.jpg.png

After 12 hrs in the fridge

W5v7bT5.jpg.png

Then you just leave it out in the air for 1-2 hrs so a crust kinda forms on the outside and after all that malarky you can slap on the barbie at 150f for 1.5hrs.

rZlQnwP.jpg.png

Absolutely delicious, well worth the effort, was quite pleased with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
At a friend's bbq this weekend we did some 'smoked' pulled pork. Smoked for 3-4 hours and then finished in the oven for another 3-4ish hours to get it cooked through.

However one piece ended up perfect to be pulled and the other two didn't, and were nice but not pullable and soft like the other piece.
They were moved around while smoking to try and get it even, the only difference might have been the shelf in the oven or that the good piece was on a dish on its own and the other two were together.

Other than that could it just come down to what the condition of the cut was in? All were around 1.25kg of pork shoulder with the skin and some of the fat trimmed.

jfU16e7l.jpg

Soldato
I noticed this thread today, and it's quite timely as I'm considering a BBQ purchase to replace the shonky and old one I currently have.

At the moment I only use it for straight BBQing, none of this fancy smoking and the like. But with some advice maybe I could?

Anyway, I spotted this one:
https://www.homebase.co.uk/char-griller-outlaw-charcoal-bbq_p413999

It's probably a bit overspec for how I currently use a BBQ, but I quite like some of the design features:
Adjustable height coal grate
Useful shelves
Good airflow adjustment for the coals
Thick food grates with small gaps for food to fall between
Separate grates so they're easier to handle when cleaning

So, what do people think? Things I should consider? Alternatives for a similar or smaller price?

Soldato
Agree with Armageus. I bought a barrel style BBQ 3 years ago for £160, I'm still pleased with it but in hindsight I would have gone for a Weber kettle. Ultimately you can't beat them for build quality and also versatility. Barrel style BBQ's are notorious for not being very airtight unless very expensive, so it's difficult to do any long slow cooks.

This is a great time to be buying a BBQ, if you aren't a snob about buying second hand, check out gumtree for good condition webers, or BBQ shops for clearance deals. Be patient over making your mind up and finding the right one.

Soldato
Oh damn, BBQ too hot? What internal temp did they get to?

I smoked them at 275F which in hindsight was a bit hot because they were quite thin. I think the smallest one got to 213F.

Serves me right for washing two cars and trying to be useful :p Can't fault that charcoal though. It's ridiculously light compared to the imported stuff but seemed to last very well.

Associate
Caporegime
Ended up doing my first brisket (cheated in the oven), went down a storm :D. Turns out my co-chef had bought me a temp probe (one with a wire) but I appear to have 'misplaced' it :obut has to be on the BBQ next time :cool:.

Soldato
At a friend's bbq this weekend we did some 'smoked' pulled pork. Smoked for 3-4 hours and then finished in the oven for another 3-4ish hours to get it cooked through.

However one piece ended up perfect to be pulled and the other two didn't, and were nice but not pullable and soft like the other piece.
They were moved around while smoking to try and get it even, the only difference might have been the shelf in the oven or that the good piece was on a dish on its own and the other two were together.

Other than that could it just come down to what the condition of the cut was in? All were around 1.25kg of pork shoulder with the skin and some of the fat trimmed.

jfU16e7l.jpg

Cook by temp, I have done 3 3.5kg pull pork and there has been a variance of over 3 hours on them hitting temp, all to do with fat/water content etc - the two that wouldn’t pull were likely under 190f and the other over!

Soldato
Just ordered the Weber Master Touch for £209
https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/m/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-mastertouch-57cm-black-charcoal-bbq.asp

Can't wait to get stuck in. Was tempted with a gas because I've limited time when I get home from work in the eves and with a toddler who needs to go to bed. But been told with the chimney starter it shouldn't take that much longer. Fingers crossed.
Get some of these to help get lit. Put one in the base of your chimney hand one in the middle of your coals, and you'll be fired up in no time
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flamers-Na...e=UTF8&qid=1532514924&sr=8-1&keywords=flamers

Back
Top Bottom