Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Like what? I've trained at a Crossfit gym for a long time that pretty much just has dumbbells and barbells. No machines other than a reverse hyper and a belt squat. Always interested to know what I may be missing out on :)

Just iso movements mate.. calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, etc.

which hamstring movements do u do other than stiff leg deadlifts and those variations? im contemplating NOT buying a leg extension/curl machine or even a dual pulley for now.. so open to suggestions if u have many on hammy excercises

Soldato
Not asking me but the main thing I've been doing for hams is nordic curls - kneel on the ground, wedge heels under something and then lower yourself down and back up again pivoting at the knee not the waist... Unless you're a total beast you'll maybe have to catch yourself with you hands a bit or have something like a resistance band or similar to pull on to get out of the lowest point of the movement

Soldato
Not asking me but the main thing I've been doing for hams is nordic curls - kneel on the ground, wedge heels under something and then lower yourself down and back up again pivoting at the knee not the waist... Unless you're a total beast you'll maybe have to catch yourself with you hands a bit or have something like a resistance band or similar to pull on to get out of the lowest point of the movement

cheers mate. sure these are great but i prefer movements where i can monitor progression. these seem a bit difficult to consistently monitor progression and recreate the same form over and over to ensure consistency.

Soldato
cheers mate. sure these are great but i prefer movements where i can monitor progression. these seem a bit difficult to consistently monitor progression and recreate the same form over and over to ensure consistency.

That's a good point!

You mentioned a dual pulley, did you have a ham exercise in mind for that? I've got one but I couldn't work out anything - I've got ankle cuffs for it too...

The other thing I'd considered was to get an attachment for my bench that gives you a basic plate loaded mini GHD style thing, there are some of those that aren't too expensive nor too bulky (though still, I'd prefer not to get more equipment as I've got very little space left)

Soldato
Just iso movements mate.. calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, etc.

which hamstring movements do u do other than stiff leg deadlifts and those variations? im contemplating NOT buying a leg extension/curl machine or even a dual pulley for now.. so open to suggestions if u have many on hammy excercises
BB RDLs I find the best, can do them single leg too although usually easier with dumbbells. Trap / hex bar DLs, single leg glute bridges with a weight plate, BB hip thrust. Nordics too to really isolate them although as you mention they can be hard to get consistently good form until you build up the required strength. Wrapping a band around the rig will help with this.

Soldato
That's a good point!

You mentioned a dual pulley, did you have a ham exercise in mind for that? I've got one but I couldn't work out anything - I've got ankle cuffs for it too...

The other thing I'd considered was to get an attachment for my bench that gives you a basic plate loaded mini GHD style thing, there are some of those that aren't too expensive nor too bulky (though still, I'd prefer not to get more equipment as I've got very little space left)

Yup ankle attachment, lie on a bench, and then just do a hamstring curl. or even lie on the floor and do it that way for a better angle.

BB RDLs I find the best, can do them single leg too although usually easier with dumbbells. Trap / hex bar DLs, single leg glute bridges with a weight plate, BB hip thrust. Nordics too to really isolate them although as you mention they can be hard to get consistently good form until you build up the required strength. Wrapping a band around the rig will help with this.

yeah stiff leg deadlifts and every deadlift movement under the sun which doesn't involve bending ur knees are good but i think u'll want more than just one movement to target hamstrings IMO... preferably an iso movement.

Nordics are useless mate... nice movement to do for fun.. but bodybuilding specifically is about progression and gradual overload. its not about getting the form good. its about getting the form consistent and then being able to progressively overload. no easy way to do it with nordics.

Soldato
Yup ankle attachment, lie on a bench, and then just do a hamstring curl. or even lie on the floor and do it that way for a better angle.

I'll give it a try next time - it sounds sort of like what I used to do where I'd lie on my front facing up an incline bench and stand a dumbell on its end on the floor behind then kinda jostle the dumbell between my feet until it's balance and do leg curls with that. Problem being after a certain amount of weight it becomes harder to not have the dumbell slip out and whack you :D

jb7

jb7

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a good home bench? I've had terrible luck so far:

- 2 x Mirafit M3 benches = both arrived faulty. Seat holes in the wrong place
- 1 x Bodymax bench = also arrived faulty

About to give up. Looking to spend £350 max on the bench

Soldato

I went to Iron King HQ today and they are designing an incline bench which looks insane. Saw a prototype. Their flat benches are all the best I've ever used. Give them a call and ask about turn around time for one. Give them a call, say Aaron suggested them :D

I personally think if buying at that price range, try to go for made in the UK. YOu can talk to them about the design/construction etc. With the chinese stuff.. if its wobbly... its wobbly.. stuff made here at least u can talk to the manufacturers about design flaws and half the time they can fix them.

Associate
I'm in "negotiations" to acquire the space for a full rack but have got most of my needs covered at the moment with the exception of pull-ups/chin-ups. Can anyone recommend a door-mounted bar that I can get in the interim? Looking for one that can safely be attached to a bog-standard bedroom door.

Associate
Finally done my first workout in far to many months as I was a bit over keen with packing up for moving. Going from a small garage full of stuff to a double garage has made all the difference... Still way too much stuff in there but I've cropped most of that out.

LLquRO8.jpg

SF3VBjC.jpg

Still in progress as I have mirrors to put up, I need to source a stand for my dumbells and still a lot of stuff to sort out post move but very happy with what I have in place now and so happy to be getting back into it.

hi, How is the bike 6 months on it's one I'm considering in the £400 - £500 price bracket. still happy with it any issues ?

Last edited:
Soldato
hi, How is the bike 6 months on it's one I'm considering in the £400 - £500 price bracket. still happy with it any issues ?

Hey, its pretty much as solid as it was on day one, now I am used to the seat I find it very comfortable, If I could change anything I would up the max resistance a little but its a very small complaint.

Soldato
Ok guys, kit list is confirmed by the end of the week to be:

24 square metres of black gym mats

Folding Squat rack from Iron Kings
Dip attachment
Safety Spot bars
Landmine
Landmine Handle
Glute Ham raise attachment
Pro Barbell
Pro Barbell (feel I needed two)
EZ Bar
Incline Bench
Incline Bench (again feel i needed two)
Trap Bar openback
100kg of bumper plates
2.5 to 40kg dumbell set
4 tier dumbbell rack
1 Reebok Jet300 treadmill
1x Boxing bunch bag full length MMA from Venom
2x Safety collars

My next ugrades will be:
1. Competition bumper plates (the thin ones) 100kg
2. Fractional plate set
3. 42.5 to 50kg dumbbells
4. Pulley machine single with 100kg weight stack
5. Safety squat bar

Will probably slowly try to grab the upgrades month by month as not in a rush

Caporegime
OP

Body solid

Any reccomendations on treadmills lads ? budget up to £1k.. preferably lower lol

Nordic track

Caporegime
OP
Anybody know of a cheap cycling machine where I can just hook up my current road bike? Winter is a bit** for cyclists

There is a whole dedicated thread to them but cheap ones are rubbish.

I think the minimum you need to spend is circa £300-£400. A top end one costs around £500-700.

I use a wahoo myself whatever the top model was last year. Not been able to use it in a while though due to an injury but hopefully will get back to it once I'm okay.

Back
Top Bottom